Dilemma with mum's nails - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisaB

Reaction score
Hi

I need some advice! I am training in beauty and it all started from my mum buying me my manicure course. We agreed then I would give her manicures to say thank you (me thinking this would be monthly) then I did my gel course and did a gel manicure for mum on Mother's Day. Since then she's been hooked on gel. I am slowly building my collection up and still working full time so I don't have many clients. Whenever I do mums nails she asks for gel now, then I see her without it on about a week later :/ I know it hasn't been chipping so I am assuming she peels it off. I feel like all I am doing is using my gel and not getting anything for it. I feel bad charging her but I am losing money ! Any ideas on how I could approach this?
Thank you [emoji8]

It's your Mum......She's your model.......and she paid for your course.........o_O

Have u tryed asking her why it's not on anymore? And then you could see if it's her picking at them, or if it's something your maybe doing? And then go from there? Xx

I just don't do my mums nails when she picks them off [emoji23] hers last but I need to get into the habit of doing them every 2 weeks for her so she doesn't have the chance to pick off!! Just ask her why she's picking though or why it's not on anymore. It's pennies to do a set of nails you can't be loosing that much xx

She paid for my manicure course and I agreed to manicures just thought I was missing out with doing it so much but this makes me feel a bit better. I was not in any way moaning! Just wanted some advice. I'll have a chat with her :) x

unfortunately when you get something for free you are not as inclined to look after, particularly if you have a daughter who can replace it every weekend ;)

I would ask her if she is getting lifting anywhere and if that's why she is picking them off, it could be something your missing in prep so best to ask and sort it out before moving on to paying clients.

I would also consider yourself lucky, when starting out its really hard to get people to practise on, there are often posts from people who are qualified but have no one to practice on so don't feel ready for the public, at least you have loads of practice ;)

I would continue to do her nails for free, and to get benefit out of it why not do a nice design on her ring finger and take photos that way you will benefit from having a portfolio together that you can show perspective clients ;)

Yep, there is no solution to this one, she's your Mum and your model + she got you started. I think you'd struggle to find a nail tech who wouldn't be where they are no without their Mum's to practice on, I know I wouldn't, so it's kind of par for the course they get freebies. If it's any consolation so does my MIL!

I would however ask her what's going wrong as part of a learning opportunity, you might get the added bonus that if she is picking it off she might think twice.

How about making a day by day blog diary of your work and ask her to be the model? Say it's for a salon promotion.
Ask your mum to take a photo of her nails every day or two so you can show other clients how well your gel brand lasts.
[emoji12]

It's your mama bear, you gotta do a freebie!! o_Oits a unwritten rule plus your not supposed to charge her! no matter how many times she wants them done. I agree with using her a guinea pig to display your portfolio, the only rule to give her is to not peel it off after 2 weeks or so so you have a before and after pic to show to potential clients on how long it can last.. (win win!;)).
I bet it does knock your confidence down when you notice its peeled off, but take this as a insight knowledge on your application and what you may potentially be doing wrong. Family members are always hard work, Good luck! xoxo;)

I feel like a right cow! My mum always pays me and often brings me a bag of groceries or a chicken or something for the fridge and picks up some lunch for us on her way! I don't charge her though, she just always gives me something bless her. We sadly don't get to see each other often, so this is our girl time. She's a nightmare to do , that one client that will always smudge herself going into the lamp, blow her nose or move her hand in the wrong direction lol! She takes good care of them though, she gives me updates every few days and will send me progress photos to show her growth. I don't get much free reign either, as she wants to be treated more like a client and get what she wants. Seeing my gel polish last well on my mum really gave me confidence. She'd get a right telling off if she dared picked it off though! My mum used to get occasional gel manis at salons, so she knows the cost and values the treatment and I think that's why she a) pays me and b) takes care of them.

Thanks ladies! I feel like a meany now! I love doing her nails I was just wondering why it doesn't seem to be on her nails that long! I love all of your ideas :) thank you!

I feel like a right cow! My mum always pays me and often brings me a bag of groceries or a chicken or something for the fridge and picks up some lunch for us on her way! I don't charge her though, she just always gives me something bless her.

That's lovely!

Anyone that helped me out as models when I was training still get their nails done for free, they are only one offs for special occasions though. We do always make a night of it and they will either cook me tea or if they are coming to me bring a take away and give me a bottle of wine.

In return they always recommend me to others and really helped me build up my Client list when I was starting out. I look at them as free walking adverts

Hi

I need some advice! I am training in beauty and it all started from my mum buying me my manicure course. We agreed then I would give her manicures to say thank you (me thinking this would be monthly) then I did my gel course and did a gel manicure for mum on Mother's Day. Since then she's been hooked on gel. I am slowly building my collection up and still working full time so I don't have many clients. Whenever I do mums nails she asks for gel now, then I see her without it on about a week later :/ I know it hasn't been chipping so I am assuming she peels it off. I feel like all I am doing is using my gel and not getting anything for it. I feel bad charging her but I am losing money ! Any ideas on how I could approach this?
Thank you [emoji8]

At the end of the day she's your mum. My mum is the biggest pain in my **** when it comes to doing her nails, only for me to soak them off again two weeks later. But she's my mum. I would never charge her or ever refuse. She does alot for me. Unfortunately, you are going have to smile through gritted teeth and get on wwith it or end up hurting her feelings. Which it will.
I hope it helps :)

Latest posts

Back