Direct high frequency. Anyone remember???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggie

Reaction score
I can't remember exacty what to use with direct high frequency during a facial. I also use Dermalogica products do i work the electrode over dry skin or could i put say a serum on and glide the elecrtode over it or do i soak gauze in something i.e srum and work the electrode over the gauze soaked in serum??????????Help its been so long I just can't remember

Im sure if you rang dermologica up and asked them that they would tell you how to use it with their products. When at college we used an oxygenating cream and then applied gauze to the face and did it over this. We also did it by applying just talc to the face as this acts as a lubricant..

hth x

At college we used a cream suitable of DHF straight onto the skin.

But in Guinot facials we had to use a piece of guaze over the cream.

Hi Froggie!

I was in the same position as you ~ I have a high frequency machine but haven't used it because I couldn't remember how to!!! Anyway, I use Dermalogica products and they run a course called 'Treatment Tools and Technology' which recaps over it. This was so useful to me because I went straight home and tried it out on myself! My skin has never been better! They told me that I could use:
  • special clearing booster dotted on to any areas of congestion after having cleansed, exfoliated and extracted. The skin must be dry and a dry gauze then applied over the entire face.
  • special clearing booster mixed in with colloidal masque base to form an oxygenating gel. Again, dry gauze then applied over the top (I don't know how this one works because I haven't tried it myself!)
  • absolutely nothing on the skin, just the dry gauze.
In all cases, the skin must be at least cleansed and dried but the treatment is excellent after extractions because the tiny gap formed between the skin and the electrode, by the dry gauze, produces a gas called ozone which has a germicidal effect.

Things you must remember when doing the treatment are:
  • Always turn the machine on when NOT in contact with the clients skin
  • Put your finger on the electrode before turning the machine on
  • Put the electrode on to the clients skin when your finger is still in contact, then take your finger off whilst circling the electrode on their skin
  • You only need to turn the machine on until you hear the buzzing which should be immediately. This is as high as you need to go ~ turning it up higher wont make the treatment any more effective, just makes the skin feel a bit hotter!
  • ALWAYS keep the electrode moving ~ never ever keep it still because it can cause a burn
I hope this helps! I can't recommend the Treatment Tools and Technology course at Dermalogica enough ~ it really helped me have the confidence to use this machine again. It's such a great machine. Don't even get me started on INDIRECT high frequency!!!!!!

xx

In all honesty if you have forgotten/not used any piece of equipment for some time then I would suggest a refresher course.Every piece of equipment is different although obviously the principles the same.

Have you got a new high frequency machine?If so then ask the manufacturer for instructions on this model.

This is instructions for the Carlton high frequency machine,what I used at college.

Complete consultation
Perform sensitivity,hot/cold test
Remove clients jewellery
Set all dials to Zero
Cleanse skin
Apply oxygenating cream and gauze to area
Place the large head surface electrode in contact with clients skin,then turn equipment on, and apply small circular movements ,slowly turning up intensity to suit clients tolerance.A prickly sensation should be felt,up and down movements are applied to the neck area.
The treatment will vary depending on clients skin but a maximum of 15 mins
To end the high frequency treatment slowly turn the intensity down,turn machine off and remove oudin resonator from area.
Remove gauze and excess cream
Apply mask,tone and moisturise

It is important to maintain contact,so place electrode onto skin BEFORE turning the equipment on.
The client and therapist must NOT touch anything metal during treatment
Do not increase the current beyond the clients tolerance.
All jewellery must be removed
Ensure electrodes are firmly in their holders.

I hope this helps just please remember to always make contact with skin BEFORE switching high frequency on as sparking may occur and this is not good for clients skin,however the dials must be set at zero and gently turned up,or it can be uncomfortable for client.

I remember we had to 'earth' the electrode ourselves with the finger then apply to clients skin then take away finger.

Has that application changed ?

I remember we had to 'earth' the electrode ourselves with the finger then apply to clients skin then take away finger.

Has that application changed ?
If you use your finger Pazzy,you could then put your hand onto client then slide electrode onto clients face,that way avoiding sparking.

The principle of what you have described is exactly the same,ie placing electrode onto the skin,then turning dials from zero slowly round.

We were just taught differently but they are actually both the same in principle:green: lol

If you use your finger Pazzy,you could then put your hand onto client then slide electrode onto clients face,that way avoiding sparking.

The principle of what you have described is exactly the same,ie placing electrode onto the skin,then turning dials from zero slowly round.

We were just taught differently but they are actually both the same in principle:green: lol

Ah cheers. Thought I had been taught wrong for a minute.:lol:

I also remember that you could actually spark 'spots' to dry them out. You just had to warn the client of the sensation first. Does anyone else know of this?

Ah cheers. Thought I had been taught wrong for a minute.:lol:

I also remember that you could actually spark 'spots' to dry them out. You just had to warn the client of the sensation first. Does anyone else know of this?
Sparking spots,is not good for the skin tbh,it can be over destructive to skin tissues and awarding bodies state that it is bad practice due to the use of ozone.

Saying this I do know therapists that do do it on the odd spot as it does dry it out really quickly.:green:

Sparking spots,is not good for the skin tbh,it can be over destructive to skin tissues and awarding bodies state that it is bad practice due to the use of ozone.

Saying this I do know therapists that do do it on the odd spot as it does dry it out really quickly.:green:

Thanking you!

As I havent done electrical facials for a long time its interesting how things quickly change/evolve if you not 'keeping your hand in'. I really did enjoy high frequency tho. In fact my favourite facila of all time was a cathioderme/hydradermie.

Thanks all so much its been a great help and a good refresher!!
XX

after initial cleanse apply a medium i.e talc and gauze(if client not to claustophobic)over the top and away you go......doing it at the mo at college, we are using Dermalogica products too for other electrical work such as the galvanics:)

In all honesty if you have forgotten/not used any piece of equipment for some time then I would suggest a refresher course.Every piece of equipment is different although obviously the principles the same.

Have you got a new high frequency machine?If so then ask the manufacturer for instructions on this model.

This is instructions for the Carlton high frequency machine,what I used at college.

Complete consultation
Perform sensitivity,hot/cold test
Remove clients jewellery
Set all dials to Zero
Cleanse skin
Apply oxygenating cream and gauze to area
Place the large head surface electrode in contact with clients skin,then turn equipment on, and apply small circular movements ,slowly turning up intensity to suit clients tolerance.A prickly sensation should be felt,up and down movements are applied to the neck area.
The treatment will vary depending on clients skin but a maximum of 15 mins
To end the high frequency treatment slowly turn the intensity down,turn machine off and remove oudin resonator from area.
Remove gauze and excess cream
Apply mask,tone and moisturise

It is important to maintain contact,so place electrode onto skin BEFORE turning the equipment on.
The client and therapist must NOT touch anything metal during treatment
Do not increase the current beyond the clients tolerance.
All jewellery must be removed
Ensure electrodes are firmly in their holders.

I hope this helps just please remember to always make contact with skin BEFORE switching high frequency on as sparking may occur and this is not good for clients skin,however the dials must be set at zero and gently turned up,or it can be uncomfortable for client.
hiya, do you know what cream I could use to substitute oxygenating cream in high frequency facial treatment? I have ran out and cant find any till 3 weeks time. thanks...

Latest posts

Back