Disguising cuticle work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniG

Reaction score
We have an elderly client come into our salon to have her hair done each week and today she asked for a mini manicure too, except she wanted no cuticle work done. They weren't particularly bad and as she's one of these people who suffers with anything and everything, or if she doesn't have it then someone she knows does, and every movement is painful (unti she gets outside then she sprints off as if nothing is wrong with her) I just got on with what she wanted to cause minimum fuss. Problem is she got looking through all my Shellac colours and has decided to have that next time but still doesn't want cuticle work done as it apparently makes her feel sick.

I really don't want to do Shellac without doing any cuticle work, but she's insistent, so I was trying to figure out how I could do it without actually appearing to be doing it. I thought about applying cuticle away then giving her fingertips a little bit of a massage before removing it and then hoping it was enough (like i said, they're really not too bad) but if anyone else has any other suggestions then I'd be grateful! I don't mind spending a little more time than usual doing it if it will produce good results as she's the type of person who will tell anyone and everyone if its the best thing since sliced bread/the worst mistake of her life.

Help! x

Poor you, I would just tell her (and get her to sign something) that if she's not willing to have the complete service including cuticle work it could affect the length of time the shellac will last then that's up to her, give them a good scrub with scrubfresh and don't offer her a discount just because SHE chooses she wants to skip an important part of the prep.

I just re-read your post, i guess you could get away with using the cuticle away as most clients think that there cuticle is there eponychium anyway lol, just be sneaky for her sake :)

Can you ask her what it is about cuticle work she doesn't like and somehow work around that. e.g. perhaps use a wooden pusher rather than metal, wet/dry etc. Also check she knows what you mean by cuticle as if she is old school maybe last time she had cuticle work it involved cutting the eponychium- I think that would make me feel squeamish!! Reassure her no nippers involved??

If she is the type to bad mouth I would be reluctant to agree to Shellac without the cuticle work as you just know the result won't be great.

I wouldn't do it. but that's me. Your the professional so it would be best to explain to her the importance of using the system as a whole and that if she wanted her shellac to last more than a couple of days then the whole system is what you need to use. :biggrin:

I'm leaning towards her thinking the cuticle is the eponychium too. Tell her you're just removing the layer of skin over her nail plate. Don't push the cuticles back and just be gentle with her. Don't let her see any nippers.

I wouldn't do it. Clients can't tell you they want a service and then tell you how to do that service! You're a professional and people come to you because you provide a professional service. If she doesn't like cuticle work then she doesn't like getting her nails done, simple as. If she were sticking to a file and polish then maybe you could get away with some light cuticle work but if she's going for shellac then there's no way. Draw some comparisons for her to help her realise, for example if you hired a decorator but told him not to sand down surfaces before re painting then the job would look very shabby. To be honest its more for your benefit than hers, because when she leaves your salon with a poor looking set of nails that don't last you can bet your life she will blame the product or the service rather than tell people that she didn't let you perform a full service and that will just reflect badly on your business

I would try and let her see someone having cuticle work done and explain it all, she has maybe had a bad experience like someone nipping living tissue - sorry, my brains gone blank for the correct spelling of the word. I've had a long day. Or even someone has been too rough. Try and put her at ease and explain about the importance of it.
I wouldn't want to carry out the treatment without it xx

I would try and let her see someone having cuticle work done and explain it all, she has maybe had a bad experience like someone nipping living tissue - sorry, my brains gone blank for the correct spelling of the word. I've had a long day. Or even someone has been too rough. Try and put her at ease and explain about the importance of it.
I wouldn't want to carry out the treatment without it xx

Just to add - my hairdresser who is my friend is the same!! She's a real drama queen mind you but tells me she feels sick when I do wet or dry pep on the cuticle, doesn't mind nippers and wretches when I file her nails! It just goes straight through her.

I've tried alsorts, distracting her with chatting and pretending it's not happening, but it's a physical reaction soon as I start. I gave her cuticle eraser to use between Shellac apts hoping she would at least do it that way but she's slack so I gave up & just bully her through it now. Guess you can't do that to a client?

Only think about rubbing CA into her cuticles is make sure you don't do it with your fingertips as you'll risk over exposure Xx

Just to add - my hairdresser who is my friend is the same!! She's a real drama queen mind you but tells me she feels sick when I do wet or dry pep on the cuticle, doesn't mind nippers and wretches when I file her nails! It just goes straight through her.

I've tried alsorts, distracting her with chatting and pretending it's not happening, but it's a physical reaction soon as I start. I gave her cuticle eraser to use between Shellac apts hoping she would at least do it that way but she's slack so I gave up & just bully her through it now. Guess you can't do that to a client?

Only think about rubbing CA into her cuticles is make sure you don't do it with your fingertips as you'll risk over exposure Xx

Some clients do have the reaction you describe and I have come across a few in my time, but we don't need to pander to them overly much ... A certain amount of control is necessary. They can't have it both ways ... They can't have a manicure that doesn't include some filing and they can't have Shellac without removing cuticle from the nail plate ... Period!

I suggest a gentle wet prep with Cuticle Away and that's it! There is nothing invasive or uncomfortable about that and you do not have to loosen or push back the eponychium at all if she does not like it.

If the eponychium is tight (and with some clients it is very fine and tight to the plate) you shouldn't push it off the surface anyway; leave it alone. You are only going to paint on the surface you can see, so that is all that needs to be clean and dry and free of cuticle.

Thanks for the replies!

Saying I won't do them isn't really an option as she's a regular hair client too and we don't want to lose her, but I'm not going to do it without doing the pep. The people who said she probably thinks the eponychium is the cuticle are right, despite me explaining in detail what would be done, as my colleague (who does her hair) was laughing about it this morning because I'd so patiently explained everything then the woman had still whispered "I'm sorry, I just really couldn't have her cutting my cuticles off" to her on her way out :irked: I'm just going to go with the gentle wet prep and explain I'm removing the dead skin from the surface of her nail so the polish is smooth and longer lasting, but I won't mention the terrible "c" word and ill make sure all signs of nippers, scissors and clippers are well and truly hidden.

Thanks for the replies!

Saying I won't do them isn't really an option as she's a regular hair client too and we don't want to lose her, but I'm not going to do it without doing the pep. The people who said she probably thinks the eponychium is the cuticle are right, despite me explaining in detail what would be done, as my colleague (who does her hair) was laughing about it this morning because I'd so patiently explained everything then the woman had still whispered "I'm sorry, I just really couldn't have her cutting my cuticles off" to her on her way out :irked: I'm just going to go with the gentle wet prep and explain I'm removing the dead skin from the surface of her nail so the polish is smooth and longer lasting, but I won't mention the terrible "c" word and ill make sure all signs of nippers, scissors and clippers are well and truly hidden.

Don't even tell her you're removing the dead skin - just use Cuticle Away and tell her you're giving her nails an extra good clean (which technically you are :lol:)

Get a sable lipstick brush, use cuticle away and foam it up with the brush, after you have done all 10 nails, remove the excess (along with dissolved cuticle) with a gauze pad, it's better than nothing, it's very gentle, feels great and will change her mind on cuticle work. Try it on yourself.

Love Nailzoo's idea...if all else fails. I concur with others that you must let her know that you cannot guarantee her Shellac service without proper cuticle removal. She may have service breakdown which, of course, would totally be her responsibility...not yours which means no re-dos.

I have a couple of clients (and my mum) who hate the feeling when I remove the cuticle or file the free edge. They just cringe and my mum retches too.

I just get on with it and pretend I'm not paying attention to them - it has to be done, get over it!

If your lady insists that, after you've just gotten on with removing the cuticle with no nippers etc involved (if she asks, you could claim you "forgot" she didn't like it), she still doesn't want it done, she will have to deal with the consequences... service breakdown could occur and it will be her own fault! No free repairs ;)

xxx

Latest posts

Back