Distancing yourself without making it too obvious

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Armani

Reaction score
I'm kind of in a situation at the moment, it doesn't effect me or my life but it's "doing my head in".
So I've posted about my two classmates on the rant thread you can have a look at my post to kind of get an idea of what kind of people I am dealing with right now.
So I went off to complete my cert III in hairdressing at the beginning of March and to be quite honest i'm not really social when I don't want to be but I felt like it would be nice to make friends to make it through hairdressing school and etc. So my class is just me and two other girls so I don't really have a choice of not making friends..
One of them is extremely nice but is way toooo open which doesn't bother me, she's an extremely nice girl but on the other hand the other one IRRITATES ME!!!
She analyses EVERYTHING and EVERYONE and is so so judgmental, when I first met her I thought she was sweet but you know the longer you know someone their true colours come out...
Us three are always together on break and etc but every time the nice girl isn't around she will start bitching about her! This makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and makes me want to tell her to shut up, when she says something I try to defend the other girl and I show her that I am not interested in bitching about people, I've told her many times that I was only there for my career not to make new friends, I try not to direct it to her as I say it in general.
She is not the kind of person I would become friends with as we are completely different.
The main thing that irritates me about her is the fact that she bitches about the way the other students do things, well to be honest I don't mind if she was a professional and was giving constructive criticism but she clearly is way too over confident and thinks she is the greatest and acts as if she has been hairdressing for over 20 years :evil::evil:
Anyways, I don't know how to try and distant myself for her without making it obvious, I want to remain civil with her and have her as a friend but without getting too close.
Any ideas?

Best thing to do is just be civil and ignore what you don't like about her and let it all go over your head.
It will be good practice for when you are working in a salon.Unless you work for yourself on your own you are going to come across a good few people who will grind your gears especially in this industry including Fellow workers,bosses and clients.

I'm kind of in a situation at the moment, it doesn't effect me or my life but it's "doing my head in".
So I've posted about my two classmates on the rant thread you can have a look at my post to kind of get an idea of what kind of people I am dealing with right now.
So I went off to complete my cert III in hairdressing at the beginning of March and to be quite honest i'm not really social when I don't want to be but I felt like it would be nice to make friends to make it through hairdressing school and etc. So my class is just me and two other girls so I don't really have a choice of not making friends..
One of them is extremely nice but is way toooo open which doesn't bother me, she's an extremely nice girl but on the other hand the other one IRRITATES ME!!!
She analyses EVERYTHING and EVERYONE and is so so judgmental, when I first met her I thought she was sweet but you know the longer you know someone their true colours come out...
Us three are always together on break and etc but every time the nice girl isn't around she will start bitching about her! This makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and makes me want to tell her to shut up, when she says something I try to defend the other girl and I show her that I am not interested in bitching about people, I've told her many times that I was only there for my career not to make new friends, I try not to direct it to her as I say it in general.
She is not the kind of person I would become friends with as we are completely different.
The main thing that irritates me about her is the fact that she bitches about the way the other students do things, well to be honest I don't mind if she was a professional and was giving constructive criticism but she clearly is way too over confident and thinks she is the greatest and acts as if she has been hairdressing for over 20 years :evil::evil:
Anyways, I don't know how to try and distant myself for her without making it obvious, I want to remain civil with her and have her as a friend but without getting too close.
Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem with one of my OH friends partners... She drives me insane!! She's an anything you've done I've done better person but she doesn't leave the house and she bitches about everyone, the only thing I can do is bite my tongue.

With your situation you've just got to think that you won't see her again after you finish your course so ignore her as much as possible but you will always meet people in life like her 😔 x

Thanks for the replies girls... To be honest I do try and ignore her and when we're at the cafe on break I barely take part in conversation and pretty much sit on salon geek on my phone. I'm good with ignoring people and things I don't like but it gets difficult sometimes because she's a very dependant person and relies on others like for an example she texts me every morning telling me to wait for her before I get on the bus and stuff, asks me for money and etc. I really don't mind I love helping people but that's what irritates me it's the fact that me catching the same bus as her sort of forces me to get close to her as I'm pretty much with her all day!
I don't text her at all, she asked for my number because she says "incase she needs help with work".
It's a part of life kind of thing we need to deal with but Oh well...

You sound like a lovely friend she should be grateful you support her even though she creates problems for you. Good friends are hard to find. im not a particularly open person so find it hard to find good friends.

You sound like a lovely friend she should be grateful you support her even though she creates problems for you. Good friends are hard to find. im not a particularly open person so find it hard to find good friends.

Aww thank you Joblondie!
I think that she's just that type of person, completely opposite personality wise. We were on the bus and there was a girl that was crying on the bus, as soon as she gets off she starred laughing saying "omg how embarrassing I would never cry on a a bus" I think that it was extremely bitchy and immature to say something like that and that's why it irritates me!
I'm stuck with her 4 days a week for a whole year 😶

I hate bitching, and to be honest im to self absorbed to really care what other people are or are not doing. Why does so and so's hair, dress, make up, lifestyle choice effect me? I always just change the subject completely, maybe mention a new restaurant you went to, or a new dress you like, or just that you fancy a chocolate bar. People are normally so shocked they forget their moan. X

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

That's ok:) how selfish is that the girl could of had all kinds of reasons to be upset for all she knew that's horrible. I could never do that if I had the courage id more than likely be the one asking if she was ok. Have you got another whole year with her then when do you finish your course?

That's ok:) how selfish is that the girl could of had all kinds of reasons to be upset for all she knew that's horrible. I could never do that if I had the courage id more than likely be the one asking if she was ok. Have you got another whole year with her then when do you finish your course?

Yeah!
Ohwell I'm just going to ignore as much as possible, I finish next year in March the whole course goes for 12 months :)

Oh bless you well hang in there !! Shame there isn't more people on your course you could mix with.

My gosh the amount of times I have cried on public transport over the years is ridiculous!

My gosh the amount of times I have cried on public transport over the years is ridiculous!

I have too!!
Some people are so harsh it's sad..

Latest posts

Back