DIY Shellac.....so mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would kindly say to her that yes Shellac is a product for professional use only (and the professionals pay to get good instruction!), it's not available to the general public through the distributors so she has no way of knowing if the products on Amazon are the real deal or cheap knock offs and if she really likes it so much maybe a workshop is in order?

Having said that, I can understand her frustration, there are not a lot of nail techs around here that offer Shellac. And if you travel 30 km, you don't want too get a sloppy application.

I noticed a lot of Dutch techs that do offer it, don't follow a workshop and just faff around with it, giving the product a bad rep because of there mistakes. Even seen some techs on a Dutch forum advice each other to just use any cheap 36 watt lamp as it also cures Shellac :sad: (probably don't know or care that they could overexpose there clients and that there insurance won't cover the treatments!)

Katara, thanks for your reply. You aren't anywhere near 7683bd (region is Overijssel) are you? You sound like a very consciencious professional!

It's a shame the Dutch techs are approaching it this way - it's creating a loss for themselves. Shellac makes me a lot of money because I use it properly and give a great service - they could do the same!

As far as a workshop, does CND offer them to "laypeople"? Would she have to get a manicurist certificate first somewhere? I didn't even think she would be considered, but maybe I can mention that to her.

I'm really torn, because I like this lady and I don't think she realises that it's a salon-only product (as it's on Amazon!), and because her other two sisters are good clients of mine, I'm at risk of losing them if I make the other sister upset by saying no. Yet, I don't want her to invest good money in counterfeit products or unusable lamps, and she may just try it even if I say no.

God knows there's enough other people online saying that it's easy, and you don't need a "real lamp", and it's not rocket science.

You could avoid saying no without saying yes by just telling her that you're worried anything she purchases online will be counterfeit product and won't have the same lasting effects as shellac so she could be wasting quite a bit of money.

Tell her that the training you go through is really intense and you wouldn't do yourself, her or the product justice by trying to compile all the info for a pro only product into an email.

Also tell her that you're still trying to find a good reliable tech closer to her so she still thinks you're going that extra mile for her!

Might do the trick without just saying an out and out no.

I don't think she realises that it's a salon-only product (as it's on Amazon!)

I don't want her to invest good money in counterfeit products or unusable lamps, and she may just try it even if I say no.

Thanks Seraphine! but I'm not a professional yet, still training : ) and I'm on the other side of the country.

Not all Dutch nail techs are like that fortunately, but some just don't take the job or themselves seriously, don't double check advice they get, etc.

The official Dutch CND distributor (BeautyXL) is a 2 hour drive away for her in the region Noord-Brabant. I think they will only provide Shellac Attacks to working (registrated) professionals and/or people currently doing other trainings with them. I think most other educators would need to see a manicure certificate first before allowing her to follow a course.

I would kindly tell her the salon-only/professionals only thing, mention the Amazon counterfeit thing and give her the workshop information. What she does with it is up to her, but she can't say you have not been helpfull to her.

However nice she is, or how loyal her sisters are as customers, she can't expect you to give away industry/branch related instructions for a salon only product in my opinion.

She;s locked it now!!:(

i am going to be very two faced here :o but i actualy feel sorry for her now shes right there are loads of these video on you tube and we dont spend our time finding them all and bombarding them till they take it down .

I watched the video when it was up, I was shocked at what she was doing, the lamp, the D-sperse, the Shellac off Flea bay, but I was equally Shocked at how rude people were to her and how personal the comments were.

She is most probably a very nice person who honestly didn't realise she was doing anything wrong. I'm sure she does now though :sad:

Think when you post something on you tube you leave yourself wide open for citicism regardless of wither your intentions were good or not. I think she was naive to post it and not expect some stick for it.

Think when you post something on you tube you leave yourself wide open for citicism regardless of wither your intentions were good or not. I think she was naive to post it and not expect some stick for it.

How can you be naive if you have no clue your doing anything wrong? If you read the email she sent me you can see she saw other video's and thought she'd have a go and as she said, there are loads with out comments like she got.

Sometimes we need to step back and remember that if you dont have any knowledge of the industry and can Google or YouTube and find the info out there and buy the products with out hindrance how exactly would you know you're in the wrong.

Surely the amount of videos and posts by professionals on you tube giving the correct info and using the correct equipment is higher than those making diy attempts at it. Its youtube, anything you post will always attract some level of criticism or negative feedback. If you expect it all to be postitive then I think its naïve. That's my opinion.

Last reply from me as honestly, I think this is done to death now and I'm not feeling too proud of anything if the personal comments made about her on here or her video reflect on us all as an industry.

I dare say there are skin care videos out there by professionals using profesional brands and you can then by those legitimately on Qvc or some high street stores. A professional video doesn't always mean you can't go out and buy the products and use them at home so how would Josephine Bloggs know where nail products are concerned.

:hug:

Personally I thought she was kind of cute and that she spoke pretty well as YouTube videos go .. Even if she was misguided.

As a complete amateur she should not have done it .. Her info was wrong and could only advise one week wear of service ( which in fact is no better than any ordinary polish) which really is not a Shellac service is it? Kind of a silly kid kind of thing to do but she is someone's daughter and could be any one of ours.

I think many people turn into cruel predators on the Internet and say awful things which is what anonymity does to many. Bad people ... Very bad ... You should feel ashamed ... She seemed a nice young girl to me. Any advice could have been given to her nicely. She is not an 'idiot'. She is not stupid ! She was playing ... I've been playing with different cosmetics and treatments for years, and I bet all the nasty posters have been too. You might not have put videos up on YouTube, but you've been doing it all the same.

Well, I wrote back to my client and thankfully she took it really well!

I told her how Shellac was only supposed to be sold to licenced salons, and that there was no way of to guarantee that the Amazon products were even legitimate. I also explained how you can't just use any lamp to cure it, so buying all the kit online might still give you products and supplies that aren't going to work. I told her I was still looking for a tech for her online and through forums.

She said she was glad she asked me first, and she'll keep looking for a proper tech as well, rather than trying to do it herself. And if she can't find one, she'll just wait to come and see me in Scotland on her holidays.

Am much relieved... I wasn't sure how she was going to take my reply!

Well, I wrote back to my client and thankfully she took it really well!

I told her how Shellac was only supposed to be sold to licenced salons, and that there was no way of to guarantee that the Amazon products were even legitimate. I also explained how you can't just use any lamp to cure it, so buying all the kit online might still give you products and supplies that aren't going to work. I told her I was still looking for a tech for her online and through forums.

She said she was glad she asked me first, and she'll keep looking for a proper tech as well, rather than trying to do it herself. And if she can't find one, she'll just wait to come and see me in Scotland on her holidays.

Am much relieved... I wasn't sure how she was going to take my reply!

Fantastic, I think it shows how much respect she has for your professionalism. She paid you a great compliment and if I was you I'd be feeling really happy too :hug:

Sent from my A500 using SalonGeek

Personally I thought she was kind of cute and that she spoke pretty well as YouTube videos go .. Even if she was misguided.

As a complete amateur she should not have done it .. Her info was wrong and could only advise one week wear of service ( which in fact is no better than any ordinary polish) which really is not a Shellac service is it? Kind of a silly kid kind of thing to do but she is someone's daughter and could be any one of ours.

I think many people turn into cruel predators on the Internet and say awful things which is what anonymity does to many. Bad people ... Very bad ... You should feel ashamed ... She seemed a nice young girl to me. Any advice could have been given to her nicely. She is not an 'idiot'. She is not stupid ! She was playing ... I've been playing with different cosmetics and treatments for years, and I bet all the nasty posters have been too. You might not have put videos up on YouTube, but you've been doing it all the same.

I was gobsmacked at her video (seems to have gone now?) but I agree harsh comments will get no-one anywhere. I think this forum is a brilliant idea, and I have got good tips from here and shared good tips, but sometimes the threads go off on tangents of nastiness and I feel there is no reason and absolutely no point in that.

We are all here to help each other and share knowledge, that's what I thought, anyway. xx

I was gobsmacked at her video (seems to have gone now?).

She took it down because she'd posted it for friends who'd asked her about her nails and because in doing so she hadn't meant to miss lead or give out wrong information. In the end she turned out to handle the whole thing better than some of the people posting to her and about her.

She took it down because she'd posted it for friends who'd asked her about her nails and because in doing so she hadn't meant to miss lead or give out wrong information. In the end she turned out to handle the whole thing better than some of the people posting to her and about her.

Good for her xx

I know how you all feel. Here in the US lots of DIY'ers have been on You Tube and other websites telling everyone where to get Shellac and Gelish, and how to use it. What also irks me is that they come on websites that are set up for nail technicians, and use our coupon codes to buy Shellac and Gelish at OUR discount! Then they leave comments talking about how they would never set foot in a salon, how any monkey could do our jobs, blah, blah, blah. Makes me SO angry!

The problem is that they will have everyone thinking this is so easy and of course they will have problems with it and then start talking crap about the products, saying how they chip, peel, don't work, etc, which just causes more problems. Not to mention how many people will end up with allergic reactions due to the fact that they don't know how to properly use it.

Here's to hoping that they will all come running into our salons to have us fix their problems!! : )

I know how you all feel. Here in the US lots of DIY'ers have been on You Tube and other websites telling everyone where to get Shellac and Gelish, and how to use it. What also irks me is that they come on websites that are set up for nail technicians, and use our coupon codes to buy Shellac and Gelish at OUR discount! Then they leave comments talking about how they would never set foot in a salon, how any monkey could do our jobs, blah, blah, blah. Makes me SO angry!

The problem is that they will have everyone thinking this is so easy and of course they will have problems with it and then start talking crap about the products, saying how they chip, peel, don't work, etc, which just causes more problems. Not to mention how many people will end up with allergic reactions due to the fact that they don't know how to properly use it.

Here's to hoping that they will all come running into our salons to have us fix their problems!! : )

I think we all share the same concerns as you do ... however, salon services keep growing even during the recession and that surely must be a good sign for us all that what we do is valued by many and that it really is the low end of the market type people who go to the lengths they do to buy these things.

Latest posts

Back