Do i have to?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail2heart

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is okay to ask a client to clean off their polishes and airbrush themselves,before having me to do thir nails done.Do you clean off your clients nails or do you ask them to clean them off.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

HI there,
personally I clean off my clients nail polish for them. However, you can also request if you want to, that they remove it themselves. It will also help your retail sales if you sell nail polish remover. and just ask that they remove it themselves if they would like before their appointment so they can get in and out of the salon a few minutes faster. I think either way is fine, it is a matter of choice and what you would like to do.

Hi,
I always remove polish if they're wearing it. It only takes an extra minute. Personally, it's never even crossed my mind to ask them to remove it themselves.

Carmen

If my clients remove their enamel (as long as they use acetone free remover) it's fine by me,if not i am happy to do it,hth hun x

some of my clients do come with their polish removed for me...they were asked to do this by their previous techs. it does save me a bit of time especially if its a dark colour BUT i dont feel right requesting clients to remove polish prior personally.

I definately think that the nail tech should remove the polish, I think if the client pays for a professional treatment they should have to do any of the work themselves. imho

I dont have a problem removing varnish on my clients. I only had one client who I insisted they removed their varnish before coming. She used to paint her nails inbetween appointments with several layers of a really heavy glitter - it was taking me ages to remove this and I was running into my next appointment.

This sometimes extra half hour was not factored into my pricing.

nail2heart said:
I was wondering if it is okay to ask a client to clean off their polishes and airbrush themselves,before having me to do thir nails done.Do you clean off your clients nails or do you ask them to clean them off.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last
I use that as a retaiing aspect also an incentive they get one dollar of there service if the have Polish off when they come in my clients rarely come in with Polish on their nails

avivajoy said:
I definately think that the nail tech should remove the polish, I think if the client pays for a professional treatment they should have to do any of the work themselves. imho

I totally agree - I would do this for them - its all part of the service?

I work on the basis that a Client comes to ME and pays ME to transform their nails - if thats by a full set of acrylic, a manicure, french polish, gel whatever.

I would not expect them to have to remove thier own polish. Having nails done for many women is a luxury - to be pampered, and to take away the need of them doing it themselves!

i dont have more than a couple of polished clients and i dont ask them to do the removal. but i'm always secretly glad when they do !:lol: especially when like fiona says its glitter polish, man that stuff has staying power:irked:

i dont request my clients to remove their enamel before appointments ...but secretly like it when they do :)

I dont mind removing polish.

I do HOWEVER object to cleaning under their nails for them.
Excuse me, that is YOUR dirt, remove it yourself.:rolleyes: I dont know what's under there, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I ask them to go to the ladies room and use a nail brush that is provided and give them a good scrub. If there is still dirt, I hand them an orange wood stick and/or metal file.
What next? shall I wipe their bottom for them after they go to the loo?
ick lol

One client actually seemed a little annoyed when I didn't just dig in and do it (although she had no visible dirt per se) and I explained "I offer manicures and enhancements. I'm sorry, but I do not take on the task of other people's personal hygiene." She thought for a moment.. looked at me and said "hmm I never thought of it that way"

I know we were taught in our course to clean under the nails.. but I'm sorry. that's just going too far for me. Some clients have shown up with such nastiness under their nails... ick... I've pointed them in the direction of the loo, handed them the file/orange wood stick after.. Once I made them do it themselves, they made sure they had it done the next time.

Maybe it seems ummm rude? I dont know. But that's how I am. I do NOT do other people's dirt.

VHunter said:
I dont mind removing polish.

I do HOWEVER object to cleaning under their nails for them.
Excuse me, that is YOUR dirt, remove it yourself.:rolleyes: I dont know what's under there, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I ask them to go to the ladies room and use a nail brush that is provided and give them a good scrub. If there is still dirt, I hand them an orange wood stick and/or metal file.
What next? shall I wipe their bottom for them after they go to the loo?
ick lol

One client actually seemed a little annoyed when I didn't just dig in and do it (although she had no visible dirt per se) and I explained "I offer manicures and enhancements. I'm sorry, but I do not take on the task of other people's personal hygiene." She thought for a moment.. looked at me and said "hmm I never thought of it that way"

I know we were taught in our course to clean under the nails.. but I'm sorry. that's just going too far for me. Some clients have shown up with such nastiness under their nails... ick... I've pointed them in the direction of the loo, handed them the file/orange wood stick after.. Once I made them do it themselves, they made sure they had it done the next time.

Maybe it seems ummm rude? I dont know. But that's how I am. I do NOT do other people's dirt.

Don't you clean under their nails when you do a manicure?

No, I send them to the ladies room and they do it themselves.

As I said, their dirt. I dont know where their hands have been and if they washed after their last trip to the loo. Or like posted in another thread, if they washed their hands after gardening without gloves (and we all know how cats love gardens and use them as giant kitty litters)

I'm really anal about my own personal hygiene and when I see dirt under people's nails, it grosses me out terribly. I've actually felt nauseaous a time or two.

I do enhancements and manicures.
I do not clean personal dirt.

I have been doing nails for about twelve years. Recently, my brother "the safety engineer" put some chemical detecting devises on me for a day. He then proceeded to tell me all about what effects I am going to have from the exposure. I explained it to my clients and one thing we have agreed on is that they remove their own polish:) This way they don't loose their nail technician and I don't loose the loyal clients or the feeling in my hands!

Thanks for a your opinions guys,i definately thank heaven when some clients do come with their polish or airbrush off already.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

I never questioned removing polish from a clients finger, but this is definately food for thought. I might think about when I put adjust my prices in the future as some of my clients come to me industrial strength polish applied else-where or with a UV top coat.

I have found that sometimes the ones that do remove it bafore they come dont actually remove it ALL properly and I end up re doing the removal myself so it makes no difference to me one way or the other

I have clients remove there own..... First they wash there hands...with a nail brush to remove grime.....then I have a container that has a sponge in it with remover ... they just put there finger in it and wala! there polish gets removed....then I have them wash again so the remover is not sitting on there skin......I'll remove polish if I have to ....but I prefer NOT too :)

Clients do clean off their nails,to ease me and them when i am working.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

Latest posts

Back