Do I need a manicure qualification?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracey louise

Reaction score
hi im looking for some advice please.ive been trying to sort out my nail insurance and was going to go with abt.i did a 3 day nail technician course with denise wright back in 2004 at my local college and i am trained in acrylic & fibreglass.

i have just phoned a company to do a gel workshop course so i can gain insurance for that but they have just told me that because i didnt cover manicures in my course i cannot do the gel workshop course as i am not trained in manicures. do i need to obtain a qualification in manicures so i can do some sort of gel course and can i get insurance without a manicure qualification if i do?

sorry for the long post im just abit confused.x

hi im looking for some advice please.ive been trying to sort out my nail insurance and was going to go with abt.i did a 3 day nail technician course with denise wright back in 2004 at my local college and i am trained in acrylic & fibreglass.

i have just phoned a company to do a gel workshop course so i can gain insurance for that but they have just told me that because i didnt cover manicures in my course i cannot do the gel workshop course as i am not trained in manicures. do i need to obtain a qualification in manicures so i can do some sort of gel course and can i get insurance without a manicure qualification if i do?

sorry for the long post im just abit confused.x

I don't understand how you managed to do the nail technician course at college without the manicure certificate. When I did my nail tech course we had to have the mani cert before we could attend. I thought that was the norm.

I don't understand how you managed to do the nail technician course at college without the manicure certificate. When I did my nail tech course we had to have the mani cert before we could attend. I thought that was the norm.

Yes me too!
I couldn't do my Nail Tech course without my Manicure pass???

Yes, yes and yes again!

I'm not saying you're not experienced and that you don't know what you're doing, but I really don't know how you managed to do your previous courses without a manicure certificate :eek:

If I were you, I'd be signing up to the next available and decent manicure course if only to ensure that your skills are as they should be. In any case, a refresher never hurt anyone. Education is something that I am very passionate about; it's what sets us apart from the 'techs' who do a one-day 'complete nail course' and then set up in business the next day. This is not a reflection on you or your skills but the sooner courses like these are eradicated, the better.

i think back when i trained this maybe wasnt as important as it is now to have a manicure certificate because the course i did was actually taught by a very well known person in the nail indusrty her name is Denise Wright(google her if you have never heard of her).so i am suprised it was a requirement.
having said that im sure there are alot of techs that dont have it and alot that do.
i trained back in 2004 but have only been doing family and friends however due to a change in circumstances i have now decided that i want to make it a career and i want to do this the best way i can so anymore advice i would greatly appreciate.x

sweet squrared seem to have the best all round courses available in the uk from what i have read here . call them and explain your case , they will tell you what course you need to do to get yourself up to date. good luck.
0845 210 6060

i think back when i trained this maybe wasnt as important as it is now to have a manicure certificate because the course i did was actually taught by a very well known person in the nail indusrty her name is Denise Wright(google her if you have never heard of her).so i am suprised it was a requirement.
having said that im sure there are alot of techs that dont have it and alot that do.
i trained back in 2004 but have only been doing family and friends however due to a change in circumstances i have now decided that i want to make it a career and i want to do this the best way i can so anymore advice i would greatly appreciate.x

I didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just that there's a lot to learn; a lot that you should know like, for example, the anatomy of the nail, different conditions, contraindications, indications, etc.

I started a good few years before 2004 and definitely needed to have a manicure qualification before I was allowed to train with enhancements. I did an all-encompassing qualification at college and then worked in a salon where the boss taught me 'her' ways and then... I decided to forget most of what I'd been taught and learn the proper way. Personally I use CND because I think their products are amazing and the training is second-to-none - and always up-to-date with the latest developments.

It may not be what you want to hear but, regardless of the insurance situation, I think you should still book yourself on a manicure course. You'll be amazed at all there is to learn. Not to mention that it's an extra service-string to add to your bow.

Good luck! :)

I didn't mean to sound harsh, it's just that there's a lot to learn; a lot that you should know like, for example, the anatomy of the nail, different conditions, contraindications, indications, etc.

I started a good few years before 2004 and definitely needed to have a manicure qualification before I was allowed to train with enhancements. I did an all-encompassing qualification at college and then worked in a salon where the boss taught me 'her' ways and then... I decided to forget most of what I'd been taught and learn the proper way. Personally I use CND because I think their products are amazing and the training is second-to-none - and always up-to-date with the latest developments.

It may not be what you want to hear but, regardless of the insurance situation, I think you should still book yourself on a manicure course. You'll be amazed at all there is to learn. Not to mention that it's an extra service-string to add to your bow.

Good luck! :)
i didnt think you was being harsh at all.x
i did learn the anatomy,contraindications,nail/skin diseases etc.. i just didnt learn how to soak nails and give a massage if thats whats classed as a manicure?
i dont disagree with you Linzi although to be honest i could've done a different course and been taught manicure etc.. by someone else who wasnt that good at nails/teaching and then i would be worse off so i suppose it all depends on the course and whos teaching it.x

i didnt think you was being harsh at all.x
i did learn the anatomy,contraindications,nail/skin diseases etc.. i just didnt learn how to soak nails and give a massage if thats whats classed as a manicure?
i dont disagree with you Linzi although to be honest i could've done a different course and been taught manicure etc.. by someone else who wasnt that good at nails/teaching and then i would be worse off so i suppose it all depends on the course and whos teaching it.x

The fact is that anyone re-entering the nail business after years of being inactive has to become CURRENT. There has been allot of change and you are out of the loop so if you are serious in wanting to succeed and make a decent business of nails, then I would do all you can do by updating your education with the best training provider you can find. You are lucky to have a great CND educator in Kent ... Try googling Liza Smith ... You will be in the best of hands.

The fact is that anyone re-entering the nail business after years of being inactive has to become CURRENT. There has been allot of change and you are out of the loop so if you are serious in wanting to succeed and make a decent business of nails, then I would do all you can do by updating your education with the best training provider you can find. You are lucky to have a great CND educator in Kent ... Try googling Liza Smith ... You will be in the best of hands.
hi Gigi,i have had a look at Liza's website but i am abit confused on what course i would need to do,do i need to start from scratch or am i able to do the gel convert course? i understand that it wouldnt hurt me to start from scratch but there is obviously a big difference price wise and if i need to save up.

I agree with geeg, I got trained back in 2002 for manicures. although due to changes in legistration( not sure if thats the right term) i did a refresher course, so my insurance will be covered.
It's always best to keep current.

I agree with geeg, I got trained back in 2002 for manicures. although due to changes in legistration( not sure if thats the right term) i did a refresher course, so my insurance will be covered.
It's always best to keep current.
thanks for your reply.
i did phone abt insurance to check if i would still be covered without a manicure qualification and they said yes but i wouldnt be covered to offer e gel polish such as gelish without a manicure qualification

hi Gigi,i have had a look at Liza's website but i am abit confused on what course i would need to do,do i need to start from scratch or am i able to do the gel convert course? i understand that it wouldnt hurt me to start from scratch but there is obviously a big difference price wise and if i need to save up.
Any confusion can be cleared up with a phone call to Sweet Squared who deal with all education classes. Ring 0133 217 3801 and speak to the education manager, Debbie Davies, who will advise you about anything you want to know.

Any confusion can be cleared up with a phone call to Sweet Squared who deal with all education classes. Ring 0133 217 3801 and speak to the education manager, Debbie Davies, who will advise you about anything you want to know.
ok great thanks i will ring tmrw

I think some insurance companies may expect you to take part in training or attend seminars on a yearly basis to keep up to date with your knowlegdge.

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back