Do we allow ourselves to have time off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unique Nails09

Reaction score
After struggling into work with a cold all week I got to thinking (SATC style) about how we as professionals force ourselves into work to meet the needs of our clients when really we should be tucked up in bed with a Lemsip and a bag of Tangfastic sweets!

In the 18 months I've been self employed I have had 1 day off ill - and that was when I had Bronchitis - I felt terrible all day about letting my clients down and felt I had to give them a 10% discount for changing them to the following week (it was a Saturday)

If I were to work in an office I would take days off when I was poorly and not beat myself up about letting people down.

Of course this week I've smothered myself in antibacterial products and worn a mask to avoid giving my clients the lurgy before anyone asks!

For example the type of thoughts that go through my head:
I'm really ill but I can't have today off as Sharon/Lucy/Sarah is going to a Hen Do, if I'm off sick they will have to go with shabby nails and they might even book in somewhere else! Tina is going out for a meal, she'll be so cross if I can't paint them the shade she wanted to match her dress. Aaaaaggghhh sod it, i'm going to go to work I can't cancel them I'll have to endure the illness with the stealth of a guerilla soilder even though it will ruin my weekend as i'll be even worse for not resting up!

How do you all cope with these situations - cancel and recoup - or not cancel and die slowly at your desk!

x

I never cancel, take a lemsip and carry on. I have not taken a day off sick in about 18 years.

Aah i am always working too much, sometimes im tempted to sleep the night on the beauty couch!

I never take a day off sick purely because i feel like i will let my clients down, i can never say no and am always working late.

So to combat this and give myself a break I make sure that I always spend Mondays focussing on me, I save up my tips, and spend them on me, whether its buying a new pair of shoes, going for a facial or massage, or buying ingrediants to cook a huge chocolate cake.

Monday is me day :D

xxx

I've been working with a cold all week, at one point I had the cold shivers, then I had hot sweats, thought I was having a male menopause!! I just drink lemsip, take sudofed & have loads of throat sweets!!!

I think this is the worst thing about being self- employed. That and no clients lol!
The only time Im ill is in the winter when the weather is extremly bad. This is my first year of being self employed and Im going to start stocking up on remedies etc, and as soon as I feel myself becoming ill I'll be straight on them all!! Theres no way I can not go into the salon and let clients down.
I had to cancel on a girl about a month ago and I felt really bad, I had major toothache to the point where I couldnt stop crying as I was in so much pain and had to go straight to the emergency dental hospital. I fitter her in the next day and gave her the treatment half price for the trouble. I dont think I would be able to do that for a full days clients! Luckily I only work thu-sat so I hope if im ever ill I can get myself better for the thursday!

Oh I empathise with this post!
I feel the same, I never take a day off sick even if i am half dead and slumped over my nail lamp!

Its the biggest disadvantage of our job. I feel racked with guilt if i ever let a client down and am always working late to fit people in.

On a lighter note it does pay off as your clients do notice that you have turned up so as not to let them down and i find they stay loyal to you.

Hope you feel better soon, keep on those lemsips and soilder on!
x

Just a thought with cold season coming up, anybody invested in the JML Fresh Air Globe?

Amazing thing, bought it last year and just mixed a few drops of tea tree and lemongrass essential oil in with the water and im sure it really reduced the amount of sniffels I got! only like £10, bargain, less sick days!!

xxx

No time off is allowed :lol:. I badly sprained my ankle with a bad fall at a clients on Wednesday. Am on crutches at the moment, cant walk or drive!:cry: Some of my clients have been really understanding, others have just offered to come to me! I do feel a little unloved - if I worked in an office it would have been time off work, no questions asked and sick pay! I know its a compliment though, its just so tough being self employed :lol:

Super replies everyone thanks! We all seem to have the same thoughts in regards to not letting our loyal clients down. Lemsip and cough sweets are the key - but what do we do about the runny nose - two small bungs?! That has got to be the worst part when you feel a drip coming on - I suddenly remember some nail files I need to get from the store cupboard and run off for a good blow!

x

I rarely get ill enough to be off. but when I do get ill I really do it in style! I think its important to try and strike a balance.

I worked two weeks ago with a kidney infection, it was awful, I cried between clients and could barely move but I carried on.

I think its a tricky one, my business partner suffers from various conditions which make her very unwell and when they strike she is really unwell, vomiting and allsorts and she needs time off and we just rearrange.

Its not ideal but hey ho, this is life, illness is part of life and so we just get on with it.

If your clients dont come back because you are ill then so be it. you are not a robot and not a slave to your desk.

I am really lucky, am hardly ever ill enough to be off work. tough as old boots me!

tigi

Why are you giving your clients reduced prices for changing their appointments?

Its life! sometimes we need to change appointments, sometimes our clients rearrange us at the last minute.

do yourselves a favour, re-book them, apologise and thank them nicely and then charge them full price.

Now is the time that people are starting to get colds, flu, etc, so if you are prone to illnesses like this, start fortifying yourself, take vit c and echincena or a multi-vit.

I find that clients are totally centred on themselves and would rather you did the treatment ill than not at all.

I must admit i am the same with never taking time off and with working long hours and eating little i take vitiamins.I take them in the morning and it keeps all colds and flus at bay.Try some vit c and mullti vit to keep your healthly.

Why are you giving your clients reduced prices for changing their appointments?

Its life! sometimes we need to change appointments, sometimes our clients rearrange us at the last minute.

do yourselves a favour, re-book them, apologise and thank them nicely and then charge them full price.

Now is the time that people are starting to get colds, flu, etc, so if you are prone to illnesses like this, start fortifying yourself, take vit c and echincena or a multi-vit.

I find that clients are totally centred on themselves and would rather you did the treatment ill than not at all.
I agree with this, even though I would more than likely give the discount if the situation arose with myself.

You've gotta look at it the other way around and ask, would the client give you some money to compensate when they're ill and cancel, doubtful!! :)

I don't carry on no matter what. A half a day in bed to recover in my opinion is more productive than working below par for several days and not giving your best because of it.

If I am infectious then no I dont take that into somebodys house and splutter all over them.

Sometimes things cannot be helped and as my mum always says 'you wont get any better thought of' for almost killing yourself to fulfil appointments. The opposite in fact you will prob just hear bitching if the service wasnt up to scratch and people dont always appreciate it when you faint in their front room.

Sometimes it cant be helped and you have to struggle through, but often it can be helped and people just dont look after themselves.

I Think it depends on the degree of illness: if your on the deathbed then your not doing anyone any good but laying across your table trying to file a nail. most of your loyal clients will understand and totally reschedule if you tell them what is going on. last year i went in for emergency gall bladder surgery and missed 2 days: my clients all rescheduled no questions asked and some even brought of get well gifts. if your clients are worth having at all then they understand that your human. if they demand robot like hours then they dont care about you

Just recently I had a bad cold, but usually painkillers do it and I can easily work, however this time my nose was running non stop. I had to blow my nose every 3-4 minutes - if I would not re-schedule my appointments and keep sneezing, coughing and blowing my nose - how unprofessional would that be. I also agree that there are situations where you can take few pills and get on with your day, but sometimes you are doing more good by staying at home and getting yourself sorted. Clients are also humans, they will understand if you re-schedule them due to having a bad cold - everyone knows how bad it can be.

Latest posts

Back