Do you charge extra for this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMOUSE

Reaction score
Some of my new clients come with nail varnish on there fingers and toes and some times it can take me uptp 15minutes to take it off. I do tell them to do this before coming to me. Do any of u charge extra for this as this is time wasted or do u just smile and tell them next time u will charge them.

Some of my new clients come with nail varnish on there fingers and toes and some times it can take me uptp 15minutes to take it off. I do tell them to do this before coming to me. Do any of u charge extra for this as this is time wasted or do u just smile and tell them next time u will charge them.

IMHO I have never considered charging for this or ever will, it's all part of the job as I see it x

I think it's part of our job to remove existing polish! I never even thought to charge. I am grateful though when considerate clients say "this one was difficult to get off last time so I removed it before you got here" :)

Xx

i have thought this when clients have several layers with glitter!! but now i use my bio gel remover to get polish off, works a treat and so quick!! xx

if it's normal nail polish I hand them the cotton pads and remover and ask them to do it themselves whilst I make them a coffee.

i had a new client in for a Shellac pedi who had twinkle toes on - she asked prior to appt if i could take them off for her - I told her would charge her £5 to remove. They wouldn't budge with normal wraps - had to buff off and took me over an hour to remove!

I would never ask a client to remove her own nail polish. It is part of the treatment for me and yes sometimes it does take a bit longer with glitter polishes but it's just one of those things. If they come in saying that they've removed their polish, cut their nails and removed their hard skin they don't get it any cheaper.. :)

I always ask my clients to remove any existing nail polish before coming as this will save us both time, of course a lot of the times they had not removed it well and i still need to remove the little bits of polish left and other clients come with fully painted nails, I would not charge extra for this though.

I tell all clients to remove normal polish prior, I personally don't agree that it's my job to do it. Obviously I'll remove gels/acrylics which have a fee. I will always give them the products to remove if they haven't done so but I won't do it I'm a technician not a skivvy. But this is my opinion and everyone's different.

The way I see it, it's kinda like if a hairdresser were to tell me to remove my colour before going to see them for a colour change, or a brow threader telling me to trim my brow before going to her for the threading part. I never really saw it as a big deal and I usually use that time to converse. I guess that's just me?

I've never seen it as an issue and think that it's really part of the job. I usually get clients appologising for not removing their polish before I get there and I always tell them its part of my job.

i wouldn't charge to remove regular polish

but yes i would if it is gel/acrylic that they had done elsewhere

power/gel polish i haven't been charging much for but intend to up this removal charge as sometimes i don't know what i'm dealing with and what should be a simple 10 minute removal turns into a bit of a pain in the buttocks...:Scared:

I never even thought to charge but no I wouldn't charge for it

Traditional polish no I wouldnt charge for it but I would politely ask clients to remove prior to appointment if possible.

Shellac or gel polishes applied by another tech yes I would charge for this.

xxx

I don't charge for it but I do indicate on my leaflets and website that this may impact on the different stages of the treatment.

A regular pedicure is one hour so if it takes 10 minutes just to remove the old paint then some other part of the treatment will have to be reduced, usually the massage.

What I'm wondering is why it is taking 15 minutes to remove polish??? What remover and pads are you using?

Call me old fashioned, but when I trained removal of the old polish was one of the first steps in the manicure/pedicure procedure, and still was when I trained in Jessica. It should be factored into the cost and timing of the treatment. I would be a little peeved if someone charged me to remove polish if I had come in for a manicure/pedicure; it would be like charging extra to cleanse someone's face at the beginning of a facial.

Using Jessica polish remover it has only ever taken a couple of minutes at most to remove old polish, if it's taking over 15 minutes to remove regular polish it might be time to invest in some better quality products!

I'm shocked!! Removing normal nail polish at the beginning of a Mani or pedi is part if the service! Does your hairdresser make you wash your own hair before touching it? No...of course not.

As Martin said it should really be factored into your costs and timings, as should quality products that remove in a couple of minutes instead of 15!

I often treat myself to a pedi in other salons and if I were charged for polish removal I would leave, likewise if I were told to remove it myself beforehand I wouldn't use the salon.

These treatments are meant to be luxuries for our clients, not get them to do the bits you don't like for you.

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but when I trained removal of the old polish was one of the first steps in the manicure/pedicure procedure, and still was when I trained in Jessica. It should be factored into the cost and timing of the treatment. I would be a little peeved if someone charged me to remove polish if I had come in for a manicure/pedicure; it would be like charging extra to cleanse someone's face at the beginning of a facial.

Using Jessica polish remover it has only ever taken a couple of minutes at most to remove old polish, if it's taking over 15 minutes to remove regular polish it might be time to invest in some better quality products!

Couldn't agree more with this, and what about the clients (elderly, pregnant, Larger ladies etc) who are physically unable to reach down to their toes.

Diane x

Couldn't agree more with this, and what about the clients (elderly, pregnant, Larger ladies etc) who are physically unable to reach down to their toes.

Diane x

Indeed, it's quite often because people can't get to their own feet that they have pedicures!

These treatments are meant to be luxuries for our clients, not get them to do the bits you don't like for you.

I agree entirely - no wonder some therapists struggle to fill their appointment diaries!

Latest posts

Back