Do YOU determine your client's nail shape?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
When a client comes in for a treatment,wether it be natural or enhanced,do you advise the nail shape for your client,regarding lifestyle,and nail shapeaccording to the clients nails,or do you just ask your client and give what she wants?

I would also like to know if square nail shapes just suit a long slender nail bed,or wether it does not matter?

i ask this as i like to advise the client what they want and need,some clients just want the type of nail shape i have,and sometimes i wear my nails square,squoval,i like to change:lol:

Thank you:hug:

I was taught that the free edge should 'mirror' the cuticle shape.
If you look at a range of fingers, you'll see that this makes sense.
However, the client has a certain amount of say in the matter - we can only advise ! :rolleyes:

I advise my client what I think is best. If I am in doubt, I use the shape of the cuticle as a guide.

It is up to the client whether they go with what I advise. Some clients want what I don't think is flattering for their hands/nails but ...:rolleyes:. Fortunately, they are in the minority.:)

Thank you,i think the shape of the cuticle is a good guide to go on:hug:

i will advise if the client doesnt express a preference.

i too was taught that free edge shape will suit best if it matches the shape of the eponichium. but also another version of that rule that the smile line should mirror the eponichium.

i generally recomend that very short nails look best if they are squarish in shape as trying to make them oval when they are this length makes them end up looking like little buttons or smarties especially if they are painted.

in my experience, ive actually found that most shapes suit most people and that if the client thinks they look nice then you have done your job.

Last edited:
Can I ask what would be most flattering for someone with seriously fan shaped nails, please? I am doing a friend's tonight and her nails are almost triangular! She fancies having glitter tips.

When a client comes in for a treatment,wether it be natural or enhanced,do you advise the nail shape for your client,regarding lifestyle,and nail shapeaccording to the clients nails,or do you just ask your client and give what she wants?

I would also like to know if square nail shapes just suit a long slender nail bed,or wether it does not matter?

i ask this as i like to advise the client what they want and need,some clients just want the type of nail shape i have,and sometimes i wear my nails square,squoval,i like to change:lol:

Thank you:hug:

good question i normally ask or do something to suit them. bit im interesting to find out what others do

Can I ask what would be most flattering for someone with seriously fan shaped nails, please? I am doing a friend's tonight and her nails are almost triangular! She fancies having glitter tips.

this truly is an unfortunate shape of natural nail to have.

generally one would file down in line with the side walls to get a straight nail but this would just accentuate the fan shape. so i would say to bring the side walls down straight from where the natural smile line starts on the side walls or taper it inwards and make the nail oval for a more flattering streamlined effect.

hope thats understandable, i'm having difficulty explaining what i mean.:confused:

Would someone mind telling me what to ask for when I next get my nails shaped?

I dont want square as in 90 degree angles but I dont want them pointy almost to a stilletto shape.

I asked for oval believing that to be a squareish style with rounded corners, which is the style I prefer... I got sharp and pointy :irked:

Would oval be the correct term or should I ask for Square with Rounded Edges? lol sorry Im just unsure.
:hug:

Would someone mind telling me what to ask for when I next get my nails shaped?

I dont want square as in 90 degree angles but I dont want them pointy almost to a stilletto shape.

I asked for oval believing that to be a squareish style with rounded corners, which is the style I prefer... I got sharp and pointy :irked:

Would oval be the correct term or should I ask for Square with Rounded Edges? lol sorry Im just unsure.
:hug:

squoval is a commonly heard term for this shape. square with rounded edges is a better description of what you want rather than oval.

you could draw the shape on a piece of paper or find a photo in a magazine to ensure your getting your point accross.

i too was taught that free edge shape will suit best if it matches the shape of the hyponichium. but also another version of that rule that the smile line should mirror the hyponichium..

I was taught to mirror the eponychium.... if i followed my hyponychium I'd have a really crooked nail/smile line, mine are all over the place :eek::wink2:

I was taught to mirror the eponychium.... if i followed my hyponychium I'd have a really crooked nail/smile line, mine are all over the place :eek::wink2:

sorry, you are absolutely right, i got distracted.
i'll go and edit right away.

this truly is an unfortunate shape of natural nail to have.

generally one would file down in line with the side walls to get a straight nail but this would just accentuate the fan shape. so i would say to bring the side walls down straight from where the natural smile line starts on the side walls or taper it inwards and make the nail oval for a more flattering streamlined effect.

hope thats understandable, i'm having difficulty explaining what i mean.:confused:

Thanks and this is what I tried to do. She opted for silver tips, understood about the shape of her natural nails and that I couldn't make them look terribly sleek nor streamlined and went away very happy with them. She says I'm too critical of myself <and I probably am>, but I do get frustrated when I can't achieve the sort of look I want for a set, even when I know the reason is beyond my control! :irked:

Just a thought, what about extending the nail bed to give the sleeker look? :)

Yes, that's one option. Trouble was, though, my friend only wanted them quite short and I felt it would scarcely leave any room for her bling! :lol:

Her nails really are very triangular. They did look quite a bit better, you can only work with the basic canvas you have and it's good practise etc etc. I would like to see what a really experienced tech could do with them, just so I'd know the tyoe of look I could best possibly achieve for this type of natural nail shape.

Gosh thanks for all your replies:hug:

I now have a better understanding,and may well do a set of tip and overlays and match my nail shape to eponychium in L&P:eek::eek:....well maybe gel,or fibre instead,LMAO:lol:

Would you make a deeper smile line then Fi,would that create illusion?:)

Not just that Gabi, if you extend the nailbed down ever so slightly(in the centre of the nail towards the free edge) it, then gives the illusion of a longer nail and allows the eye to take in the nail as a whole with the same shape but a different illusion.

Does that make any sense at all? I know what I am trying to say and will do it with one of my nails tomorrow.:hug:

it makes perfect sense, great that you can do a picture too.

I should also add that if a client doesn't know what they would want shape wise when I'm doing enhancements, I often just do them square. I then do one or two perhaps a wee bit longer and more square than I would go for. I ask their thoughts and then give them mine. I work from there to get the ideal shape for them. It is so easy to adapt to other shapes from square. It is so much easier to take off than put back on.

Not just that Gabi, if you extend the nailbed down ever so slightly(in the centre of the nail towards the free edge) it, then gives the illusion of a longer nail and allows the eye to take in the nail as a whole with the same shape but a different illusion.

Does that make any sense at all? I know what I am trying to say and will do it with one of my nails tomorrow.:hug:
That would be great Fi,as i have not got a clue what you mean:eek:...i am trying,lol!

It does make sense, fi, and I'm looking forward to seeing a pic. Thanks. :) :hug:

Latest posts

Back