Do you do stuff you don't really want to?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireamy

Reaction score
I have a client who I went to for the first time a couple of weeks before xmas for a gel rebalance (she'd got a bit fed up with her old tech letting her down all the time).

I did them, they looked good and I was pleased with the end product. She went off to Spain for xmas and new year (lucky duck!) and called me this week for another rebalance app.

Anyway, I went along to do them and they were in desperate need of rebablance as it had been a while but generally looking ok, no lift, no losses.

As I started she asked if I could take the length down quite a lot (that's fine, I said as they'd grown loads) and also if I could this time do the white gel straight across instead of curved. She didn't want me to follow her natural smile line curve (which was a really lovely curve that I followed on the last app and looked lovely) but to just do a straight line.

I tried to tell her they would be more flattering to her hands and more natural looking if I could give them a bit of a curve but she was adamant that she only liked them straight across.

So, I did them how she wanted. She was delighted, but I was so disappointed. They looked awful and I wouldn't want people to know I did such fake horrible looking nails!

Do any of you just follow what the customer wants or do you just do whatever you think looks best on the client? Her nails could've looked so nice but instead I came away thinking urgh!

aawwww thats a shame - but the way i see it is the client is always right!!
do what they want they will be pleased, they dont know what makes a nail look better - they just know what they want.

With a bit off luck she will come back next time wanting curved smiles again xx

I agree that you must do what the client requests. It can be a nightmare, though. I had one elderly client who wanted them really long and bright pink! :eek: I absolutely hated them, but she was over the moon. After a few breakages I managed to persuade her to have them shorter. She still insists on the hideous polish, though. :lol:

I try and get clients to see things the way I do, and explain why they look better, but I agree the that they should still get what they want, even if we all know they are wrong!!! they are paying for a service at the end of the day.

agree with the others
you had no choice there, I can see your dilemma though

What the client wants, the client gets.

They're not always 'right' though :wink2:

When something like this occurs, or similar; I try to explain why a different way would be better. Using examples, sample tips etc...
Although, I've never had the request for a 'straight french'.. I can't imagine.

But I have had clients that wanted their nails longer, then consistently have breakages.
I am usually able to turn them around by saying "how about if we try just this once, to have them a bit shorter? Rebalances without broken nails are less costly. See how you like them. If at your next appointment, you don't like them and want to go longer again, then I'll correct them at no extra charge."
So far, I've never had to 'correct them at no extra charge'.

I also usually explain that in time, as they get used to them, they will more than likely be able to have them the desired length. Why not work towards that goal together, without all the nasty breaks in between? I explain that breaks can cause stress and damage to the natural nail and the health of the natural nail is my priority.

So far, everyone's a happy camper.
:green:

I have a new client who alwasy had them shaped like fans......the square fan tip that drives me crazy cause the tip is twice as wide as the nail plate! eeewwww, I was able to convince her to at leat try the shape I thought would look good and we could change it back if she didn't like it. Now she loves it!
Then I have another newer client who seem to always break her nails (works with horses) and her old tech wouldn't file away the pocket lifting so all the old yellow lifted acrylic was showing....oh man they were a mess! and she too had the "fan" shape and of course with the horses, always chipped the corners off! So I told her when she sat down that I didn't think the shape was working at all for her she said I could do what I wanted.....oh boy! a nail makeover! Wow do they ever look great now and she's so happy, she doesn't break them anymore (perhaps an occasional misshap). I was so happy to when she left....I had that feel good feeling we should all get after each client. Anyways, that's my story for the day!

YES! I recently did a lovely set of gel french on badly bitten nails and they were really nice, I loved them but then she got me to do some really, really bold nail art on each nail and she had lots of horrible rings and it made the nails look like trash.............but she was happy as a clam!

I have found it is just as well not to push a client too hard into your way of thinking, as they usually end up being unhappy as it is just not what they want!

In the end we do this to please the client, no matter what, although it is sometimes hard when it is your advertisment.
:hug:

There is another nail technician local to me who does lovely gel nails, but she always does a straight line and not a curve for the smile line.

I've had the opportunity to rebalance one of her clients. When I'd finished the first nail, she asked if I could make the curve straight. Upon asking why, her answer was "It hides my natural nail when it is growing out". She can make her rebalance last longer.:eek:

some times you have to do what the clients want... we can in our professional opinion, advise our clients... but if they want a stupid straight across smile (or 'frown'line...lol) then its down to them... its on their hands after all... and you never know oneday... they may change their mind! ;)

Jess
xox

I try & advise clients but in the end, what the client wants the client gets, if thats what really makes them happy!!! :)

I know, its really horrible when you've done a set of nails you're not happy with because its what the client wants.

Like the others have said, we can only advise our clients and try to steer them in the right direction.

At the end of the day, they are paying for the service and have to leave you happy.

I know exactly how you feel though hun. :green:

Latest posts

Back