Does an age gap matter in a relationship?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie25

Reaction score
Just having a general wondering as a situation is developing for me, do you guys think an age difference in a relationship is an issue? What if the boyfriend is a bit younger? Xx

no age is just a number my dad is 22yrs older than my stepmum and my mum is 8 yrs older than my stepdad !
I personally think if you like this lad go 4 it its how you feel not what others think hop this helps you xxx:biggrin:

Think it depends on what age you are.. If your a bit older i dont think it does but when your younger definatley.. My ex that i have a child with was 10 years older than me.. He wanted to have more kids buy a house move away from my family i was only 19!! Think it really depends what stage in your life your at

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

no age is just a number my dad is 22yrs older than my stepmum and my mum is 8 yrs older than my stepdad !
I personally think if you like this lad go 4 it its how you feel not what others think hop this helps you xxx:biggrin:

Thankyou :)
I never think anything about it with other ppl but I've got super paranoid what ppl might think as the guy I'm seeing is 7 years younger than me xx

Think it depends on what age you are.. If your a bit older i dont think it does but when your younger definatley.. My ex that i have a child with was 10 years older than me.. He wanted to have more kids buy a house move away from my family i was only 19!! Think it really depends what stage in your life your at

This is what I stress about, like if it works out then what may happen if we want different things at different stages etc xx

Dont worry its how u feel !7 yrs aint that much also my sisters partner is yrs older it depends on the individual like i said age is only a number best of luck to u hun be happy xx:biggrin:

Only if one of you is under 16, or your 20ish and the other is 70 odd. Xoxo

Age is nothing but a number, a relationship involves two people who care, love, and respect each other, regardless of each others age.
I say if it feels right, then go for it.
You will never know unless you try, love can be a difficult thing, sometimes people miss out on love because they let the simple things such as Age get in the way.xxx

No! Age is just a number! I am living proof lol! There is 17 years between me and my fiancé. You can meet someone your own age and still both want different things xxx

I think it depends what age you are!!

I'm 21 so younger is not really an option for me right now!!!.... A guy 10 years younger than me would evolve in to 10 years in jail!!

But older yes please!!! More mature good job etc!!

But if I was 30/40 I would want some one younger than me!!

I have a few clients which are .... VERY mature lets say!! And they have there toy boys that are 10/15 years younger than then!! When I'm that age I hope I have some one to wait on me hand and foot like that!!!

I'd rather regret something i did than not going for it and live my life wondering 'what if'... I wish i could follow my own advice lol.

I'm 2 years older than my partner [not a huge difference i know] and that's nothing now but was a bit tricky when we first started dating. I was 19 and fed up with drinking and nightclubbing already and he was 17 and just out of high school. I was unsure about the whole thing but now in our late 20's it isn't even an issue. I think it depends on the stage of life not the age of the person.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from following your heart but I think you have to be realistic about the inherent difficulties that come from age difference. I know this first hand.

If you go in with your eyes wide open and realistically, understand that you may find yourselves in different places in your lives on several plains: emotional, financial, sexual, social, psychological etc.....be prepared to deal with that.

Love conquers a lot but it doesn't conquer all.

I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from following your heart but I think you have to be realistic about the inherent difficulties that come from age difference. I know this first hand.

If you go in with your eyes wide open and realistically, understand that you may find yourselves in different places in your lives on several plains: emotional, financial, sexual, social, psychological etc.....be prepared to deal with that.

Love conquers a lot but it doesn't conquer all.

Very good advice... Different generations can cause certain issues that may or may not be a problem. My mum was with a man 10 years her senior and made her behave like an older person. But she was happy so I supported her.

My humsbums Alex is 20 years younger than me. We've been together 8 years (the longest I've ever been with anyone!), and we are nauseatingly happy.
When we first got together people were openly and cruelly sceptical. They would accuse him of being a gold digger, of having Oedipal tendencies, and they would accuse me of being desperate or perverted. Even some of our families were not exactly horrified, but weren't exactly delighted, either.
It was a little disconcerting for me to have a mother and father in law only 5 years older than me, and my mama is as old as Alex's grandparents!
From a practical point of view it matters not a jot to us. We're just lynne and Alex, working our arses off to build our business. Arguably he's matured an enormous amount in those 8 years, quicker than he would have otherwise, but really, who can say?
He's been kind enough to say that he's learnt a lot from my extra 20 years on the planet, and there are times when I have to say, don't argue with me on this, trust me, I'm right, because I've seen/experienced/learnt from whatever "it" is.

There will always be differences of perspective no matter what the age difference is. The pertinent question here is "are you compatible?"

I agree with others.. Age is just a number.. My partner is 18 years older than me and we've been together 5 1/2 years. I'm 23 and he's 41. We've both never been happier and it rarely crosses my mind that he's that much older because we really are so alike :) xxx

age doesnt matter no, it just depends where you both want the relationship to go not just now but in the future.

my husband is 11 years older than me.....we had both been married before and our children were/are the same age and we didnt want any more children so had lots in common that way.

if you like someone and think there is a future then give it a go!!x

as long as you love eachother nothing else matters. I've been with my partner for 10 Years and he's 17 yrs older than me. We've had a few issues during our relationship but age has never been one of them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thanks guys :) think I'm fretting too much as I always do! I think nothing of other ppls age differences but I worry too much what ppl think of me. Think cos we work together too I'm worrying about that. Think I need to just go with the flow a bit more! I appreciate all the replies thanks :) xxxx

Latest posts

Back