Does an age gap matter in a relationship?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys :) think I'm fretting too much as I always do! I think nothing of other ppls age differences but I worry too much what ppl think of me. Think cos we work together too I'm worrying about that. Think I need to just go with the flow a bit more! I appreciate all the replies thanks :) xxxx

I'd be more worried about that. A lot of places don't accept in work relationships, too much hassle when there's arguments or a breakup. Iv actually given 2 people a notice that one is to leave (as was company standard) when a work place relationship started in a place I previously worked at. Xoxo

No there's no rule like that, it's just if something does go wrong and the tension etc etc xx

I think the only time that "numbers " would come into it, per se, is if having children is a big issue for the man. The harsh truth is that women will have a finite date for reproduction; with men it isn't so clearcut, and fathering into their 80's is possible. I do think, in my opinion, that the urge to parent can be overwhelming, and, in some relationships, become a stumbling block.

That said, age IS just a number. I know old people in their 30's. I know young people in their 80's.

So, all things being equal, age doesn't count.

I agree with what has already been said, it IS just a number however I can forsee 'stages' of life being difficult but if you can address them & deal with it accordingly it shouldn't be a problem :)

Thanks for the advice everyone :) xx

My best mate is married to a guy 20 years her junior and she has a son about 10 years younger than her husband and they all get on fantastically and she says he's been a better father than his real father has ever been, so I say if the right people are involved age has no baring on anything!!!

As a rule of don't think it matters. Just to stick my ten pence worth in, I was with someone 10 years my senior and he always made out he had more life experiences and always used to say phrases like 'back in the day' ' and 'you wouldn't know that coz of your age' but saying all that he was a bl***y pratt anyway nothing to do with age lol. I'm now married to a wonderful man 3 years my senior xx

I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from following your heart but I think you have to be realistic about the inherent difficulties that come from age difference. I know this first hand.

If you go in with your eyes wide open and realistically, understand that you may find yourselves in different places in your lives on several plains: emotional, financial, sexual, social, psychological etc.....be prepared to deal with that.

Love conquers a lot but it doesn't conquer all.

Soo true, Tammy

Thanks everyone, we're going out again tomorrow so will see how it goes! Xx

Just having a general wondering as a situation is developing for me, do you guys think an age difference in a relationship is an issue? What if the boyfriend is a bit younger? Xx

Hey Julie,

My current boyfriend will be 21 in march next year & i'll be 24 next June, so thats around 3 year & a couple of months! And we have been together for 3 years and 4 months.... And i have never been more happier in my life!! He is definitely the one for me :)

My 3 previous relationships were all older than me ranging from 2-7 years and they never worked out, not lasting for more than 8 months! Maybe it was because i was too immature for them, either that or its because they where cheating arseholes!!

Anyways... Just do whatever you feel is right, i was a bit dubious at first of the age gap for me but once i started falling for him it didnt matter to me at all, neither did it matter to anyone else as they could see how happy we are :)

I think it depends what age you are!!

I'm 21 so younger is not really an option for me right now!!!.... A guy 10 years younger than me would evolve in to 10 years in jail!!

But older yes please!!! More mature good job etc!!

But if I was 30/40 I would want some one younger than me!!

I have a few clients which are .... VERY mature lets say!! And they have there toy boys that are 10/15 years younger than then!! When I'm that age I hope I have some one to wait on me hand and foot like that!!!

I Can't agree more with this :D

My hubby's 7 years older than me and we couldn't be happier. We are both at the same kind of point in our lives where we both want to have a family. I am only 22 but I know I've been put on this earth to have a family and be a mother and I knew this from about 5 years old when you were asked what you wanted to be when you grew up, I pretty much always said I want to be a mother (apart from when I wanted to be a pilot).

Me and Chris met on the internet as well, we didn't even know how old each other was before we first met! I think if there's an attraction there, you can't change that! It does depend on how old you and the other person is though, I dated a guy who was 23 when I was 15, my mum pretty much forbid it cause I was so young but now, she absolutely loves Chris, according to her, butter wouldn't melt with him! Sometimes I think she loves him more than her own daughter but only cause he's been so good for me!

Sorry for the essay
Leanne
X

Age is just a number

When I met my husband he was and obviously still is lol 7 years younger than me, he looked even younger 11-12 years ago as did I too but he did look younger than his age and I worried, I told him it won't work, I'm older blah blah, next year we are celebrating our 9th wedding aniversarry and re-newing our wedding vows with friends in Dominican Republic, I'm so glad he ignored what I said, he is the best thing apart from my kids that's happened to me.

So really go for it, forget age it doesn't matter, happiness does!

Oh just to add I'm now 43 and he is 36

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back