Does anyone just do spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Hi i have mentioned before that i started my mobile business in nov 07 and that business has been very slow dispite advertising heavily since. I am now skint and was wondering if any of you JUST do spray tanning, nothing else. If you do, do you make a decent wage out of it? as im getting a bit worried that i may have to get another job (and maybe go back to working as cabin crew as i did previously). Any answers appreciated:rolleyes:

my friend does just mobile spray tanning but is only busy 5-6 months so only now offers it part time

sorry if that does not help!!!

good luck on what ever you decied to do:hug:

How many days a week does she do this? i may apply as cabin crew again and do tanning on days off/ before or after work then. i cannot go on like this its driving me mad

I know of a couple of people who only offer spray tanning....make sure you keep detailed record cards so that you can send out newsletters to previous/existing clients. I have always found it useful to do 'refer a friend' offers, at the bottom of my newsletters i always have a cut of voucher, one for the client and one to give to a friend.

I recently did this when handing out aftercare sheets, i also gave each client info which entitled them to a special treat for introducing a friend and something for the friend for becoming a client....you can decide yourself how you want to do it!

hth's xx

How many days a week does she do this? i may apply as cabin crew again and do tanning on days off/ before or after work then. i cannot go on like this its driving me mad

she does it on thurs and sat and just squashes as many clients in as possible

Cool, sounds good, bet u cud fit quite a few in a day tho still. It takes me 45min from walkin in their house to me leaving and i charge £20. If i got a job bk with airline wud b 6days wrkin 3 off (for tanning:)) and i wud be able to fit inbetween before wrk n after wrk. well ill c how i get on over next few weeks/ months. but defo think i would need another source of decent income

Cool, sounds good, bet u cud fit quite a few in a day tho still. It takes me 45min from walkin in their house to me leaving and i charge £20. If i got a job bk with airline wud b 6days wrkin 3 off (for tanning:)) and i wud be able to fit inbetween before wrk n after wrk. well ill c how i get on over next few weeks/ months. but defo think i would need another source of decent income

Along side your airline job i think it will be a good earner for you and i bet some of the girls at work and the airport you work from in genral would love a tan!!

well ill have to see, applied for easyjet the otherday. i had a client cancel on me in the middle of the night last night oh im so mad

well ill have to see, applied for easyjet the otherday. i had a client cancel on me in the middle of the night last night oh im so mad

hiya emerald, pardon me if I am being thick (which I am) but on your website it says you do all kinds of beauty treatments - have you jacked that in and are you just doing tans now? If so, why not do as I'm going to do and mailshot the local dance schools, as they often need spray tans for comps and shows good luck xx

No, i am still doing them (or should i say would do if anyone actually rang AND kept the appointments when they do ring) im struggling to think i could make real money doing beauty on my own. I advertised everywhere in my area and still no luck, for instance at around 2am i had a txt from a client i had booked for today cancelling (yes 2am- and i didnt get back to sleep thru thinking why do people do this). So i have applied for another job it may not be for a while if i get an interview but im at my wits end and skint:cry:

:hug: emerald dont give up hun! I cannot for one second think why someone would think its acceptable to txt you at 2am to cancel an appointment. Well, we all have emergancies but you must feel very disheartened.

Is there any way you could target more affluent areas? I am doing leaflet drops in all the posh villages round by me and on the new estates too. Keep going sweetie xx

it's very difficult when you first get started and you look at the others who all seem to be busy and earning good money....well we have all been there beleive me.
it's only through sticking with it through thick and thin (and a bit of luck) that differenciates the succesfull ones from those that fail.

Take a moment out and sit down and get a blank peice of paper and write down
1) what are your atributes
2) what services can you offer clients
3) what are your weaknesses

be completly honest with yourself..then have a look again at your list and see if you can address any shortcomings and how you can maximise on your atributes.

Then write down a hit list of ways you think you could get new buisness at very low cost..things like

1) how many salons in your area might want you to come in and offer your services to their clients on a profit share basis

2) ask the brand you are with if they have flyers you could have to give to your local gym,health club members etc,stand in the highstreet and give them out to any potentially looking customers.

3)maybe put some lippy on and go see the local night club owner and see if they will allow you to do a free spraytan show..you know bit like the wet T shirt jobby..I am sure they would love the idea especially if you suggest doing it on one of their quiet evening..they could benifit through marketing it and get more customers in..after you have sprayed people give them your card...you should pick up a good customer base..your brand might even help you out with some free liquids its good advertising for them also.

you will be amazed at how much you can acheive without paying out to much...the tip is to write down the most stupid and far fetched ideas and just one may just get your buisness rocking.

Dont give up just yet..through hard work and some clever thinking you will be away in no time :hug:

loads of good advice collin! :)Have you thought about leaving leaflets in bridal shops, hairdressers,weightwatcher venues these usually generate business even if you do special offer for these. Do you do beauty as well,cause you'll often find weddings are a good earner they need they whole works for that. I do alot of makeups for wedding and i found when i took on tantrick and offered the spray tanning the ladies were delighted they could get all sorted with the one person. hth chick:hug::hug:

Emerald just wanted to say things will work out chick, at the worst get a wee part time job and still keep your business going, i'm in a fix at mo too setting up myself in a few months and i'm hoping it will go well. On maternity at the min and my job looking to offer the worst days to go back part time days i cant see me getting a babysitter every week for who wants to babysit every saturday. But hey i have my thinking cap on(lol not that that helps a blonde!:lol:)and i'm going to try and come up with something.Hope something works out for you babe. Take care:hug:

Thanks, im trying to be positive but everytime i do something else happens to knock me down. As im mobile i only do tans, makeup, man/ped, nails. but i am qualified beauty therapist aswell

Thanks, im trying to be positive but everytime i do something else happens to knock me down. As im mobile i only do tans, makeup, man/ped, nails. but i am qualified beauty therapist aswell

my way of thinking is that I want to start small and think BIG! I too am a beauty therapist, but for now I just offer manis/pedis/enhancments and tanning. Little by little, as my biz grows, I will offer waxing, lash/brow tints, massages, facials, make up, and even things like microcurrent, faradic and microdermabrasion, hopefully even electrolysis one day! xx

well thats even better you could offer all these to your clients esp for weddings. Have you checked out in you area if there is any hairdressers who have a room theyd maybe like to rent or a gym, that way you rent wouldn be as expensive but you would have all people coming and going. My sister is a hairdresser(so suppose that helps me) my other is a beauty therapist also but she lives about 25 mile away from me so it doesnt affect each other. Hth:hug:

well you certainly seem to have plenty of skills at your disposal :)

when you get knocked down..pick yourself up again and get back onto your objective of making your buisness work for you...

Stop thinking negativley and think posativley and you will be surprised at how things will start to look up for you.

It is a negative frame of mind that is your worst enemy:hug:

well you certainly seem to have plenty of skills at your disposal :)

when you get knocked down..pick yourself up again and get back onto your objective of making your buisness work for you...

Stop thinking negativley and think posativley and you will be surprised at how things will start to look up for you.

It is a negative frame of mind that is your worst enemy:hug:

Collin I couild do with a pep talk from you!!

XXXElaine X:hug:

Hiya

Keep plugging on! I started part-time mobile in April 07 and only now is the advertising paying off.

Best things have been word of mouth and yell.com. Don't price yourself too low on the tans, i know some peeps only charge £10-13 per tan, my party tan (5 or more) is £15.00 per tan and individual tans £25.00.

The parties for me have been the most popular. I used to charge £18.00 with the hostess free, however popular opinion seemed to be that they all shared the cost and got their tans a little cheaper each with everyone paying - thus I reduced it to £15.00 and no freebie!

My website has recently started to bring me in some business as well - I offer children's nail parties and teenager's pamper parties (mani's/pedi's) These go down well.

Keep you chin up and don't lose heart yet - it's early days! I have kept my other job on 19 hours per week to pay the bills - if you did this you wouldn't worry so much and you can always give it up if things get better for you. Tanning has been quiter in January, but the proms are coming up soon and we will be busy again!

Latest posts

Back