Does anyone serve alcohol with treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
I'm setting up my home salon & also work mobile. Someone said recently they were offered a glass of wine while having their hair done in salon (also offered tea/coffee)

It's got me thinking about my local ladies in the village who would definitely be interested in a late afternoon/evening tipple while they have their nails done.

Thoughts, anyone? Pitfalls? Experience of doing this?

Thx
Jx

Surely you'd need a licence to serve [or even give away] any sort of booze?

Iv been in places that have done it over festive seasons, and know of a salon with a bar fridge stocked with beer, unless you do your alcohol licence training then you CAN NOT sell it, but you can give it free. I'd say limit it to 1 glass per client. Have it on your desk free glass of wine now available *

* limit one per client in small print xoxo

Also make sure it's low strength whatever you give out so that no one will be anywhere near a drink drive limit.

I questioned my partner on the law of this as he has a licence, I wanted to sell beer at a charity event and so he had to be there watching, but free is perfectly legal.
Xoxo

The way I see it is your spending your profits on alcohol for your clients, a cup of tea or coffee or a cold drink doesn't cost much but a glass or 2 of wine would cost a lot more.

Also you would have people needing to drive home so a drink drive possibility - Do you want to be arguing with people that they can't have more?

Alcohol can be a contra-indication to some treatments too so that could mean some clients getting wine while others would like some but can't because of the treatment they are having.

I just think it would be more hassle than it's worth.

I only give out wine at Christmas and new year for those 2 weeks ,but there's nothing stopping you doing it all the time ,i don't drink alcohol so would not want to be left with open bottles that would go to waste :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Thanks guys! Love this place.

I agree with everything above, these were my first thoughts. Free is ok to give away. It would have to be worked into the price. It would only be given to clients who weren't driving, one drink per customer (I'd cite my insurance for this as contraindications etc).

I also think I'd only really offer it to my neighbours who I already know, & not really throw it out there as a big advert or anything.

Hmm anyone have experience of doing this regularly I wonder?

Maybe I'd only do it for pamper parties/group or multiple bookings? Xx

quick reply here lol.

No I wouldn't. It is a nail treatment, not a nightclub!!

just my opinion. Not meaning that to sound harsh

quick reply here lol.

No I wouldn't. It is a nail treatment, not a nightclub!!

just my opinion. Not meaning that to sound harsh

Haha no not at all :D

Point taken though. It made me smile when I overheard it as I say but then I thought, I can think of a few clients that would love a cheeky 5pm tipple!

I'm still undecided!! It certainly wouldn't interest me as a client but horses for courses...

Thanks guys! Love this place.

I agree with everything above, these were my first thoughts. Free is ok to give away. It would have to be worked into the price. It would only be given to clients who weren't driving, one drink per customer (I'd cite my insurance for this as contraindications etc).

I also think I'd only really offer it to my neighbours who I already know, & not really throw it out there as a big advert or anything.

Hmm anyone have experience of doing this regularly I wonder?

Maybe I'd only do it for pamper parties/group or multiple bookings? Xx

You would then be breaking the licencing laws. As you would be charging for it, within your prices, and if the local authority suspect this, they will take action.

I have owned and run bars and clubs for 30+ years. You can give your clients a drink, but if you are charging, or there is suspicion that you are building the cost into the treatment, you will get done for it.

Example, if you currently charge £20 for item X, and when introducing complimentary drink, item X becomes £22, the local authority would be on your back pretty quickly.

And how would they know? One of your competitors will tell them!

Very true. It's a fine line! Yes I hadn't meant I'd up my prices I meant I'd have to price it up & make sure I was still in profit after factoring in additional costs.

But you're right I'd be at risk...

So what do other salons do then I wonder?

I have a neighbour that comes to me and she gets offered a glass of wine if I have some in the fridge already. She was even going to bring a bottle with her because she wanted me to join her Lol!! That would be an interesting appointment :D :lol:

I also have bottle upon bottle of champagne in the cupboard and we dont drink it, so a bride and mother of the bride got a bottle of champagne and some strawberries at their appointment and with tons of bottles left then other bridal parties will get the same.

But I don't offer alcohol to anyone else unless they're not driving and live close to me and I'd only offer it if I already had it, I won't be buying it in especially

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I worked in salon where they served wine. Never had a problem. I did find that a lot of people wanted more and it became a redundant hassle of explaining why we couldn't serve more. Personally though, I would not offer because If they drink at your place and then go off and do something stupid it could fall back on you

There's always non alcoholic wine, if they go off and do something stupid like crash the car you can't exactly be blamed for making them drunk on grape juice and fruit now can you? Xoxo

I agree with the non-alcoholic wine. You can get some sparkling punch etc with strawberries to make it seem a nice luxurious touch. Some people may want to over do it and a flushed face is not a good look when performing a treatment!:eek:

Just to point out you need to contact your own local council as to how they interpret the licensing laws as it differs from district to district. I was told I could give alcohol away free at Christmas or events, but I couldn't restrict it to only those having treatments as technically they were then buying the drink as part of the treatment. The only way round it they said was to offer a drink to anyone, which meant in theory anyone could come off the street, have a free drink and go again without buying anything or having a treatment. It also means you can't offer it at ticketed events without a licence as you are then restricting the people the alcohol is available to.

Just to point out you need to contact your own local council as to how they interpret the licensing laws as it differs from district to district. I was told I could give alcohol away free at Christmas or events, but I couldn't restrict it to only those having treatments as technically they were then buying the drink as part of the treatment. The only way round it they said was to offer a drink to anyone, which meant in theory anyone could come off the street, have a free drink and go again without buying anything or having a treatment. It also means you can't offer it at ticketed events without a licence as you are then restricting the people the alcohol is available to.

Wow thank you for that! I'll contact the council. I'm holding a pamper evening and was planning a free drink on arrival but as you say I'd be at risk there.

Thanks guys!!

Like said above if your giving it away then fine but if your including the price of the alcohol into your prices then you need a licence

Also you cannot limit the 'free alcohol' just to your clients ... So if a stranger walked in of the street and asked for a glass of wine you would have to give them one, which I doubt will never happen!

Were I used to work we use to offer tea, coffee, wine, beer to people when they came in. Clients like that we offered them alcohol! It can be pricey but it's a nice extra!

Like said above if your giving it away then fine but if your including the price of the alcohol into your prices then you need a licence

Also you cannot limit the 'free alcohol' just to your clients ... So if a stranger walked in of the street and asked for a glass of wine you would have to give them one, which I doubt will never happen!

Were I used to work we use to offer tea, coffee, wine, beer to people when they came in. Clients like that we offered them alcohol! It can be pricey but it's a nice extra!

Hmm but I run a home salon so firstly, wouldn't let anyone walk in off the street & secondly doubt they'd even know I was there! Plus how often would that happen?

I think in my circumstances I'd have it available for just my neighbours as Planky said above xx

Hmm but I run a home salon so firstly, wouldn't let anyone walk in off the street & secondly doubt they'd even know I was there! Plus how often would that happen?

I think in my circumstances I'd have it available for just my neighbours as Planky said above xx

I'm with Planky on this one. My neighbours on my road get offered a glass if I have it in the fridge and if it's evening and the kids are in bed. They always want me to have one too but I tell them I'll have one when I've finished the treatment.

Latest posts

Back