Does Essential Nails qualify you as Nail Technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkChampagne

Reaction score
I've seen Essential Nails website, and wondering if the courses REALLY qualify you to apply for jobs as Nail Technician in salons? I'm maybe thinking of starting with the manicure and pedicure course, has anyone done this and can tell me what its like, or has anyone gained employment after doing Essential nails?

If you use the 'search' button up on the bar and search Essential Nails you will be able to see what people who have done the course say.

A few things to consider .. if you do the course, you need to have allot of self motivation.

You do not work on real people nor do you have an instructor so you really have to go much further in your training before you can consider yourself qualified to work on the public in a salon situation.

The EN course is not cheap so my advice is that if you're not in an extreme hurry to get started then spend your money wisely and get your education right from the start with a training provider that has the reputation for training excellent future nail technicians. Welcome - Sweet Squared is such a one.

With the essential nails Spa manicure & Pedicure course you do in fact work on real people after watching the extensive dvd and reading throught he book which has all the information on nail dieases, bones and blood flow ect & more you then take photos before and after the treatment you have carried out & complete the case studys which you then return for assesment. The gel, Acrylic, Fiberglass courses are done on the nail trainer but if you start with the manicure and pedicure course you will have experience on real live clients.

& you do have a instructor on the en course in the dvds and personally through email, telephone support if you need help and advice on anything, yes it may not be classroom based but if you want to achieve good results you will do as everything you need to know is included in all the courses to do Great nails on clients!

Personally I dont think its a good course, I cant see how you can learn to do nails by correspondance. Photographs dont show nails in enough detail for an educator to be able to assess the quality of your work, and there are some things that you actually have to see another person do so you can pick up that skill, a DVD isnt the same.

I agree with Geeg that you should consider CND. Theres a lot of promotion for CND on this site and its easy to think that people are unconditionally brand loyal, some have even been accused of being brainwashed!! But I can honestly say that I do not offer my unconditional loyalty to any company, they have to work hard for my custom, but CND do tick all the boxes in terms of product quality, education quality, price and ongoing support.

I've done a en course and even though it was an insight into nails and fitted around my homelife, afterwards I did not feel confident or ready to work professionally on paying clients so I had to go on and pay more for another course. EN courses are not cheap so I would do your research and be sure its for you or you might find yourself paying out even more money to train.
There are some great threads on here regarding training. Good luck x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

I think it really depends if u have any experience before with nails im doing the manicure and pedicure course but I had done a course a few years back at the local learning centre in was a 6 week evening class with a tutor so that gave me that bit extra and I'm getting on great now and all good feed back about my work and everyone that I have done has came back for more. But I'm not so sure about the other courses they offer think I would rather someone there to show me how to do acrylic and gels x

i would say that if its a online course would you not get insured if you have not had a practical test?
saying that ive done an essentail nails art course and loved it so now doing another in master tech tokoyo design with kirsty meakin (love her) so think essential nails are good but again not sure , apologies as this probably hasnt helped you at all and i do tend to waffle lol x

Hi - I started my nail courses with EN Last July. I have done the Gel / Acrylic / Maintenance / Manicure and Pedicure course. It was perfect for my lifestyle learning at home at my own pace. I can not comment as to what Salon employers think of the qualifications as I now work from home. What I can tell you is that the qualifications I gained are recognised and you can get insured to work - home/mobile or salon.

I really enjoyed the courses but as others say you do need to be REALLY motivated. I put in a lot of late nights but it was worth it.

I think it is personal preference but whatever way you choose I hope you Enjoy ;-)

ahhhhh yeah you would be insured as you send the nails back from the nail trainer for assesment! i must admit im loving the nail art courses :)

I'm almost finished with my acrylic course and I have mixed feelings about it tbh. I can't get to the next city for courses as I have no childcare but the one or 2 day conversion courses wouldn't be much of a problem so I thought this would be the best way.

I had a bit if background having done level 1 beauty therapy so I wasn't going into this totally blind so to speak but without at least having some basic knowledge of nail anatomy I would say this course would be a struggle.

It's taught me the basics I need to know but I learnt so much more from here, nailclass and videos on you tube.

I am now trying out different systems on myself to decide who to convert to.

ahhhhh yeah you would be insured as you send the nails back from the nail trainer for assesment! i must admit im loving the nail art courses :)

Oh yeah for the nail art courses it would be fab! At your own pace and being able to redo over and over without feeling the pressure of the rest if the class.

& you do have a instructor on the en course in the dvds and personally through email, telephone support if you need help and advice on anything, yes it may not be classroom based but if you want to achieve good results you will do as everything you need to know is included in all the courses to do Great nails on clients!
If you only have contact with your tutor via email, telephone then what's so different to just absorbing all the threads on here? Or even looking at videos on youtube!

I am not, of course, suggesting that you rock up and start doing everyone's nails just from what you read here, and certainly not without a qualification but this is your money; we're currently in uncertain economic times and you can only spend it once. Doesn't it make more sense to use it wisely and invest in the best you can from the start? I only say this because we've heard so many times of people who ask for cheaper courses and then have to go on to spend even more money (which could've gone of products/advertising - or even a nice holiday :p) to get the education that they really wanted in the first place.

A good tutor will be able to recognise what you do well/need to work on and will support you while you actually work. So, my advice to you is to research as much as you can. Look at every option available to you and then you can make an informed choice.

Its always a very 2 sided debate when the essential nails courses come up. Half hate them but have never tried them and the other half rave about them but have never tried anything else.

As the EN courses go, the mani pedi is the most up to date and extensive one they do. It comes with a lot more information about the chemistry and nail structure than any of the others. I dont imagine you could fit much more into the basic one day 9am-4pm mani courses that are about now, there are plenty of them!

That said, there are much more extensive courses available, and as Geeg said, Sweet Squared now do what seems to be the most extensive one.

Shop about before you invest your money. It difficult to know whats best when you are just joining the industry but its worth doing some homework before commit your cash.

Just to add, for me, the enhancement courses with EN are very outdated and severely lacking in well needed info. xx

Hi i am doing a en course in manicure and pedicure and i am enjoying it. However if i do the nail enhancements i will go to a classroom for the training. But the mani/pedi course with en is fine you practice on real people and you can go on to develop from this course from shellac training, minx etc.
Also i am a nursery nurse so i didn't know if i would enjoy doing nails so doing the en course was a way to see how i get on and i love it looking to start up my own business from home and offering just mani/pedi treatments and spa treatments. I didn't think i would enjoy doing the spa treatments but i love it.
Also i am going to go on to do other training shellac gelish etc.
So en is a good starting point for me.

Last edited:
i would say that if its a online course would you not get insured if you have not had a practical test?
saying that ive done an essentail nails art course and loved it so now doing another in master tech tokoyo design with kirsty meakin (love her) so think ssential nails are good but again not sure , apologies as this probably hasnt helped you at all and i do tend to waffle lol x

All EN courses are accredited by both Professional Beauty Direct and The Guild and insurance is available.

However, some trade suppliers are considering no longer accepting online courses as professional training.

I started with the EN Nail Art course and went on to do the acrylic sculpting. When I started working on real people I had problems with lifting. I spoke to a top educator who was appalled at what EN were teaching. Especially with regard to nail prep. Once I was taught the correct methods I have not had a problem.

Using the nail trainer for practice is excellent but you need an instructor to watch you and correct what you may be doing wrong. I would recommend using the nail trainer to everyone starting out to practice on but only in conjunction with a practical class.

Also sorry i forgot to add last time is that salons around my area said they would employ me with en qualification but i would need to do a practical first x

You get an extensive dvd that goes through everything a tutor would in a classroom environment & you can watch it back as many times as you wish it covers everything you need to know & follows the requirements of the nvq 2. I believe if someone really wants to achieve something they will regardless of how they get there & its the paying clients that will judge whether the training you recieved was good enough or not, the training is the same as you would receive in a classroom based enviroment and it is up to the student how they take this in, there are also loads of classroom trained beauty therapists out there that are not doing nails up to standard it is definately up to the student how well they want to achieve there course. The en courses are recognised by the guild of beauty therapists amongst many others and you can obtain the approiate insurance on completion, oncce qulified i believe a salon should judge you on your work not where you trained!
If you only have contact with your tutor via email, telephone then what's so different to just absorbing all the threads on here? Or even looking at videos on youtube!

I am not, of course, suggesting that you rock up and start doing everyone's nails just from what you read here, and certainly not without a qualification but this is your money; we're currently in uncertain economic times and you can only spend it once. Doesn't it make more sense to use it wisely and invest in the best you can from the start? I only say this because we've heard so many times of people who ask for cheaper courses and then have to go on to spend even more money (which could've gone of products/advertising - or even a nice holiday :p) to get the education that they really wanted in the first place.

A good tutor will be able to recognise what you do well/need to work on and will support you while you actually work. So, my advice to you is to research as much as you can. Look at every option available to you and then you can make an informed choice.

You get an extensive dvd that goes through everything a tutor would in a classroom environment & you can watch it back as many times as you wish it covers everything you need to know & follows the requirements of the nvq 2. I believe if someone really wants to achieve something they will regardless of how they get there & its the paying clients that will judge whether the training you recieved was good enough or not, the training is the same as you would receive in a classroom based enviroment and it is up to the student how they take this in, there are also loads of classroom trained beauty therapists out there that are not doing nails up to standard it is definately up to the student how well they want to achieve there course. The en courses are recognised by the guild of beauty therapists amongst many others and you can obtain the approiate insurance on completion, oncce qulified i believe a salon should judge you on your work not where you trained!

I totally agree with your comment i went to have a manicure today just to research while i am training and i was not very impress someone who suppose to be trained in the business for 10 years it didn't show. I had not a very neat edge where my cuticles are so the polish looked all uneven. So i do agree if you are good at nails and you put the time in to practice and research it doesn't matter how you decide what training is best for you as the client is your judge. And i defiantly will not be going back to that salon.

Im not sure about what salon say/think about EN qualifications because I work from home .. but EN courses are awesome! If you cannot go to a class and want/need to do it in your own time around all the other things in your life then these courses are wonderful. You do get an extensive DVD explaining everything and they are very hepful on the phone. Even on FB, your fellow student peers will help you out with queries etc. I would recommend EN courses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back