Does Essential Nails qualify you as Nail Technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You get an extensive dvd that goes through everything a tutor would in a classroom environment & you can watch it back as many times as you wish it covers everything you need to know & follows the requirements of the nvq 2. I believe if someone really wants to achieve something they will regardless of how they get there & its the paying clients that will judge whether the training you recieved was good enough or not, the training is the same as you would receive in a classroom based enviroment and it is up to the student how they take this in, there are also loads of classroom trained beauty therapists out there that are not doing nails up to standard it is definately up to the student how well they want to achieve there course. The en courses are recognised by the guild of beauty therapists amongst many others and you can obtain the approiate insurance on completion, oncce qulified i believe a salon should judge you on your work not where you trained!
I still think that having a tutor beside you as you work is best, as least for me. You get immediate feedback AS you work. They can spot any bad habits before they are fully formed. If you're practising yourself and then taking pictures of the finished article, there is a lot you could be doing that could've been tweaked to ensure you work as efficiently as possible.

From what you've said, it can't be that much different to what we can learn on here - we have a multitude of knowledgable geeks right at our fingertips, who can answer any question imaginable. We also have the search function which will throw up hours of reading material within a few seconds, and we have youtube for videos. There are loads of videos from different educators/companies on there.

If it works for you then fine, but it's not for everyone. I think that's what people have to remember - everyone learns in different ways and not everyone is able to pick things up the first time.

And my original point still stands - we have had plenty of threads/posts on here from people who have started out with cheaper training and then gone on to spend more on other training which has cost them money which could've been spent on growing their business. That's a fact. My advice was to thoroughly research every option available to the OP before she parts with her hard-earned money. Surely that's just common sense?

and before anyone tries to say my above comment is bacause i took something personally its not, it is MY opinion and is based on real facts from undertaking the course, doing market research through speaking to qualified therapists and receiving treatments where the therapist has no knowledge of my knowledge about nails and by speaking to people that undertook classroom based courses. I am very serious about doing great nails and feel there can be good and bad points said about both teaching types BUT one is not better than the other thay are of equal teaching qualities!

That of course is just silly ... It would depend entirely on the quality of the teaching, education, hands on experience and practical application and products supplied on the course.

But what would I know? I've only been teaching quality education for more than 30 years ... Have a record as long as both your arms for achievements and even won the first Scratch award ever given last month for my "Service to the Industry" while another, who I am proud to represent, took the award for best Nail Education (as well as another award). I would not normally ever need to mention these things, nor do I like to but one persons opinion based on very little but their own choice is not someone to whom I myself would give particular credence. Maybe your research is not so extensive as you would like us all to believe ... Or you would know about some of the things I mention above already.

Last edited:
totally agree that "If it works for you then fine, but it's not for everyone. I think that's what people have to remember - everyone learns in different ways and not everyone is able to pick things up the first time" that is whats good about the en dvds you can watch them over and over until you follow the correct procedures thus eliminating the habits that are bad and in need of correction advice. I definately agree that everyone learns in different ways and it is good that there are various course options out there to suit each individual. My post on here was just to try and put across that various people stating a home learn option wasnt as good is unfair as they are to nvq 2 standard and just as every bit as good as other courses availible. I wish the original poster every success in her option and hope she finds an option that suits her :)

totally agree that "If it works for you then fine, but it's not for everyone. I think that's what people have to remember - everyone learns in different ways and not everyone is able to pick things up the first time" that is whats good about the en dvds you can watch them over and over until you follow the correct procedures thus eliminating the habits that are bad and in need of correction advice. I definately agree that everyone learns in different ways and it is good that there are various course options out there to suit each individual. My post on here was just to try and put across that various people stating a home learn option wasnt as good is unfair as they are to nvq 2 standard and just as every bit as good as other courses availible. I wish the original poster every success in her option and hope she finds an option that suits her :)

As long as you remember that NVQ standard is the bare minimum standard required and some courses go WAY beyond that level. Also that supplying a bare minimum standard is not the same as taking the NVQ and does not take the place of one either. Saying that, 'we teach to NVQ standard' means precisely nada as the student does not actually achieve the standard.

I find myself wanting to write something now that I had seen written in various ways quite a few times in my early days on this site (before I started posting).

Something that used to make me do this :rolleyes:

This is it:

Do you know who Gigi Rouse is?

Do you think in your every day life you could ever be in a position to ask for advice from someone like Geeg, or Mum (Marion Newman) or any number of other great nail techs that frequent this site?

The answer is no.

If I personally wanted to 'scrap' (for the want of a better word, please don't take offence)) with Geeg over a subject presented to us in a thread on this site, I would be happy to do so BUT I can tell you this.

I would not choose to 'scrap' on the subject of nails.

Period.

Maybe if the thread was about the English language though .... :wink2: :cool:

xx

But how do you know that you have bad habits and that you need correction advice, if you don't have a tutor to oversee what you're actually doing? You can watch a DVD until you're blue in the face but if you're - for want of a better example - holding your file incorrectly, then who is going to tell you?

I did know about the things you choose to mention But they are not revelant ust beacuse you have years expierence, have won awards and have taught many people does not give you the right to put down home learn courses by saying they are not awesome , you have done well for yourself and that is great and im sure your students have done well for themselves from your knowledge too BUT plenty of en home learn students have also done well and succeded without the need for retraining.

To say my opinions are based on very little but my own choice is just ridiculous, i have done extensive research & have spoke to trained beauty therapists as i stated before who are very successful like yourself but i did not feel the need to use that as a base for my previous comments! the whole point was to give the op a view of someone else and explain that a home learn option is a good one & that just because you are in a classroom it doesnt mean you get better training ect!
[/B]

That of course is just silly ... It would depend entirely on the quality of the teaching, education, hands on experience and practical application and products supplied on the course.

But what would I know? I've only been teaching quality education for more than 30 years ... Have a record as long as both your arms for achievements and even won the first Scratch award ever given last month for my "Service to the Industry" while another, who I am proud to represent, took the award for best Nail Education (as well as another award). I would not normally ever need to mention these things, nor do I like to but one persons opinion based on very little but their own choice is not someone to whom I myself would give particular credence. Maybe your research is not so extensive as you would like us all to believe ... Or you would know about some of the things I mention above already.

I find myself wanting to write something now that I had seen written in various ways quite a few times in my early days on this site (before I started posting).

This is it:

Do you think in your every day life you could ever be in a position to ask for advice from someone like Geeg, or Mum (Marion Newman) or any number of other great nail techs that frequent this site?

The answer is no.

If I personally wanted to 'scrap' (for the want of a better word, please don't take offence)) with Geeg over a subject presented to us in a thread on this site, I would be happy to do so BUT I can tell you this.

Period.

xx

Any time Jacqueline! :hug:

I have never said anywhere that Correspondance courses did not have a place ... Just that they are NOT awesome (and they are not). But let's talk with intelligence and logic and not emotion or pique for whatever reason, that someone else does not agree that the choice is the best one..

For some they may see a correspondance course as their only option ... Fine; That does not mean it is the best option! At best it is usually a compromise as the person for whatever reason cannot get their first choice of options.

By the way, I am now done with this. My posts are there for all to see. I Am not going to argue a point which is obvious to most. Have to say that I dont see the relevance of talking to beauty therapists for their opinion about nail correspondance courses ... But there you go. I'm not going to be drawn into that one. :)

Night all. Enjoy your evening. I'm mad busy tomorrow and need my sleep. X

Last edited:
i do understand why people think this but if you watch them properly and follow the correct procedures shown unless you cant learn from watching someone on a dvd do something the eaxct same way as someone right in front of you then there will be no bad habits.
But how do you know that you have bad habits and that you need correction advice, if you don't have a tutor to oversee what you're actually doing? You can watch a DVD until you're blue in the face but if you're - for want of a better example - holding your file incorrectly, then who is going to tell you?

This is it:

The answer is no.

Period.

xx

i agree jacqui
i was thinking that if people could read the posts and not get defensive or take the advise personally , then they might see that the advice is given from many a respected geek for one reason.......they know what they are talking about!

and to disregard geeg's advice.... i mean come on...she is a living legend ( no brown nosing intended)...

i am not "scrapping"t all! i am just trying to show that my opinion along with others that are afraid to post is just as valid, i am entitled to state what i think as is everyone else. I am pleased that people are passionate about nails and there is a site that people can come to to view the varying opinions!

This is it:

The answer is no.

Period.

xx

I feel sorry for the next person that thinks home learn options are good & wants to state their opinion, next time i will just private message the original poster my opinion and then it cant be twisted into something its not! :(

i am not "scrapping"t all! i am just trying to show that my opinion along with others that are afraid to post is just as valid, i am entitled to state what i think as is everyone else. I am pleased that people are passionate about nails and there is a site that people can come to to view the varying opinions!

Madaboutlions - welcome to this site my lovely.

And I hear you.

But why should anyone be afraid to post?

None of us are standing next to each other in the same room.

No geek on this site can reach out through the ether and slap another geek around the head lol.

Every one is entitled to their opinion.

But to continue debating a point with an undisputable expert geek on their subject will eventually put the non-expert geek in a difficult position.

It could have ended when the 'olive branch' point was made by the expert geek suggesting that 'home learning is the choice some people have to make as opposed to the choice they probably would like to make.

Peace and Respect.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
The home learning discussion always causes a bit of heat! :eek:

2 years ago i was on this site shouting about how home learning was just as good and how horrible everyone was to say they weren't good courses.

Now......well, I've spent 2 years traipsing through thousands of threads on this site, most of its tutorials and half of youtube and nail angel videos, finding out the things that i was never taught.

The mani pedi and art courses aside, most of the EN dvd's were created many many years ago. The prep they show is completely inadequate and some things have changed since they were made.

Yes, you can become a great nail technician from starting with an EN course, but there are easier ways to start. Ways that mean you don't have to sit at home beating your head against a wall trying to solve the problem you've come up against. My poor nail trainer hand was nearly launched out of the window on a daily basis!!

Take which ever course suits you best, but be prepared for a long hard slog either way and make the most of all the information and support on this site. Nobody will refuse to help and encourage you if you start with EN.

I feel sorry for the next person that thinks home learn options are good & wants to state their opinion, next time i will just private message the original poster my opinion and then it cant be twisted into something its not! :(

Aw come on now, once you get to know us all a little better you'll be able to roll with it.

Have a little :hug:

What is so hard about understanding this issue??? It's called "horses for courses"!!!! SOME peoples personal circumstances mean they CANNOT travel to a course centre, or they have a disability, or they simply lack the confidence to attend a course centre. For these people the EN courses are ideal, as they get them STARTED on a route that hopefully takes them into the wonderful world of nails where, at some future time, yes they will benefit from a more "classroom type" education.

It always seems that some on here just choose to criticise that decision, whilst others cant see past the home learn route. Ive seen some of the work EN students produce and some of it it "awesome" (sorry geeg), and Ive seen some "professionally taught " technicians whose work is terrible. It comes down to the individual surely? Their attitude and their motivation and their desire to succeed.

Just a question? Why do some people, particularly some of the more experienced nail techs have to be so cutting and cruel in their remarks on this site? Were you never a student?????

Perhaps you could point out the cutting and cruel remarks please?Or where the issue has not been understood?

Also, perhaps you could also point out where I HAVE DISAGREED WITH ANYTHING YOU'VE SAID?

The awesome remark that seems to have rattled one person's cage, did not refer to anyones nail work, it referred to the fact that the correspondence COURSE was awesome .. and it happens to be MY opinion that awesome is not a word I would think anyone could use for that course.

If you are going to try and stir up yet more trouble in this thread, at least get your facts right about what has been said, or read it all and make a vague attempt yourself to understand what what being conveyed.

How about you point out how the essential nails courses are incomplete and not as supportive as you stated & as i previously asked you answer but you skipped around the question, i personally think this is getting ridculous now but finding it hard to sit back & let you slate essential nails courses as you are so obviously trying hard to do so

people are not stirring up trouble at all they are stating opinions that DIFFER from yours geeg!

I'm quite used to different opinions and unlike yourself, I have no problem with that. It is not I who is scrapping and making a potential problem for the mods and I am going to actually report your post because there is no other motive behind it than to stir things up yet again! Quite literally the behaviour of a child.

I have not slated the course (another incorrect and unsupported comment) ... but it is incomplete and it is out of date and it does need revamping. Not said anything negative about the support from EN and I have talked about correspondence courses in general. My comments have been supported by others who have done these courses and I do not feel I have been negative re EN but rather supportive of classroom education as a preference. Why if I say it is it not opinion but SLATING but everything you say is just opinion. Really pathetic behaviour. I'd be humiliated if I had written your posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back