Does this get easiser? Feeling a bit disheartened :0(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helkat

Reaction score
Hi there:

I am still in training to be a nail tech and started training last week. All my models seem to have problems with their nails and one has even backed out of having fills in a few weeks. I am having problems blending the tips into the natural nail and putting on product either too thick or too thin. I am really not sure what technique I should be using to apply the product and my training was lacking somewhat (I left a message at the training center to talk to someone yesterday). I am using an LCN product that is self levelling (3 step system).

I know what my problems are, but I just need to practice. I feel really disheartened at the moment and I know this won't come overnight... does anyone have any words of encouragement :rolleyes:

it can be really tough at first.
i nearly gave up too.
it is important to practice as much as possible and that will lead to improvement. it is essential that you are practicing the correct techniques though.
if you cant get live models, practice on a trainer hand or on tips.
try to read as much as possible about techniques that work for others.

search the site for help with tailoring and preblending tips to help you out with the blending problem and then try to concentrate on one problem at a time until they are all sorted.

success can come if you are determined enough.
and if others can do it then so can you:hug:

i think when most people start out in the nail industry they dont realise how hard it is. I thought i would be great on the first day of training and was so upset at first when i realised that it was going to take longer, i felt terrible at the beginning and thought i would never master it. I have only been qualified a couple of months and am only now starting to see results i am proud of. it takes time so please dont beat yourself up over it. the most important thing is that you can see where you need to improve. take photos of things you do so you can see how you are getting better, you will get there!! xx

Hey,

I am training at the moment as well, started a few weeks ago. We started with sculptures, finding it really hard, Tracy the tutor makes it look soooo easy, doesn't quite go like that when I do it, but she has been doing it for around 15 years, so can't expect be able to do it any where near as good. I was the same, puting too much product on, but I suppose every time you do a set, you make mistakes, and then learn from it. I have a few friends that are letting me do their nails, which is a huge help. I was putting a bit of rose oil on my nail first, and just practicing on my own fingers to begin with as well, it wipes off easier. I am trying not to be disheartened, everyone started the same way I suppose, and gets beter with practice and training....good luck, keep your chin up, we will get there in the end.....xx ruth

Hi there:

I am still in training to be a nail tech and started training last week. All my models seem to have problems with their nails and one has even backed out of having fills in a few weeks. I am having problems blending the tips into the natural nail and putting on product either too thick or too thin. I am really not sure what technique I should be using to apply the product and my training was lacking somewhat (I left a message at the training center to talk to someone yesterday). I am using an LCN product that is self levelling (3 step system).

I know what my problems are, but I just need to practice. I feel really disheartened at the moment and I know this won't come overnight... does anyone have any words of encouragement :rolleyes:

Hi there. Sounds like you are working yourself into a wee flap.
My best advice for you is that when you are practising your nails and you are at the point where you think your brain is may explode...stop,rest a while or even better sleep on it and let everything sink in and be absorbed. Next day try another attempt. You will find that you do something slightly different each time, almost as if a light had come on and the penny will drop - which it will I promise.

I used to practice and practice but when you are at that point, it doesn't matter what you do, the nails will not come out the way you want them to and then you become frustrated and disheartened. Good luck!:hug:

hey hun dont forget too alberta will be HOT at the mo so your product will no doubt be setting faster , maybe try practising in your basement where its cooler ,that might make it a bit easier ,
also where in AB are you ?? ok ignore that i just saw your were in calgary ... i will ask my mate whos an ex nail tech if she knows anyone wanting any sets (shes in the SW is that anywhere nr you ?? ) xx

Thanks for all the encouraging replies! I feel a bit better already. I am meeting with my instructor next week to go over the areas I feel I need help in.

I live quite close to downtown (Marda Loop).. I should be done the class by August 18th. I have been studying hard and feel I have a pretty good grasp of the theory (that's the easy part!).

I know it will come with lots of practice, but I also would feel bad about charging people when I feel I am not doing the best job yet.

:cry:

Aww hun, i know EXACTLY how u feel, please read my post from 06:17pm today in this forum...it will hopefully make u realise u r not the only one feeling like u do :o) x

Hi, Are you pre tailoring the tips before application to the natural nail? This cuts down on filing damage to the natural nail and makes it so much quicker and easier.

Hold tip in hand, file in the other at a 45 degree angle bring the file down on the well area in one direction down. Keep doing this until you take out most of the well area. Then file the top of the nail and remember to file sides too. So now you have an area that is opaque. Apply resin to the tip and apply to the prepared natural nail. It almost disappears before your eyes and at the most will only need a little blending work with a gentle file. Remember it won't work on white tips as you want a crisp smile line. Great for natural and clear tips. Hope it works for you. :lol:

Use CND Performance tips hun, you dont have to blend, or learn how to sculpt, both much easier.
Good luck for next week Im sure it ll be worth it.:)

Latest posts

Back