Doesn't life (& Kids) suck sometimes??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beauty Zoo

Reaction score
Hi all.....I need a moan...appologies for the waffle before I start!!!!

Compared to all the things that have happened in the world lately my problems seem trivial....and they are!!!!!

My little girl has to go into hospital tomorrow to have SIX teeth out....I am worried sick. Last March she had a back molar that was causing problems, she wouldn't let the dentist near her with a drill so they refered her to the hospital. Anyway to cut a long story short it was found that she had another very small hole in another back molar so that has to come out too. But, the teeth have to be even so the opposite ones on the other side have to come out as well (even though there is nothing wrong with them). Then to top it all the dentist said that while she is under the anesthetic he just as well take the 2 front ones, that have a little decay on them, out at the same time. Poor thing, she was 6 on New Years Day. I am so worried about her afterwards and the state that her mouth will be in.

What makes it worse is that she has a really healthy appetite.....no food is going to be so hard for her. I have promised her that I won't eat or drink anything either so that she doesn't feel alone.....but bless her the appointment isn't until 1.15....how barbaric to make a child wait that long?

Just before Christmas my 3 year old was prescribed glasses....that she has to wear all the time as her eyes are so bad. How guilty do I feel about the amount of times I have shouted at her 'Look, it's right there, under your nose'!!!

My son of 19 walked out on his apprenticeship the week before Christmas....don't blame him as they were making him clean their cars, stand in one place all day directing traffic etc (He was supposed to be building). Now he has no money and no job, as yet.

Then at the beginning of the week my daughter (21) left her job and went to work full time at Pizza Hut!!!!

Hubby has got the strop because I have catagorically refused to go to the States in May for his daughters graduation.....we just don't have the money. (Although I have told him that he should go alone).

Thank goodness that I have managed to get one of the computers back onto the internet so I can come back to the Geek site....I missed you all so much over the holidays. Only managed to get on line a couple of times at my mum's.

ANYWAY!!!!!! Sorry to have waffled on....HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!!!

Lots of love
Nikki XXXX

Aww you poor thing. I had to have an abcess removed from inside my mouth when i was 4 and i couldn't eat anything for the whole day before they did the operation, then nothing for the next day either! all the other kids on the ward were having their tonsils out and eating ice cream!! when i got home i ate and ate and ate.....(still eating lol) and got spoiled rotten by my mum who probably felt the same as you do now.
Im sure things will get better for you. Your elder children will probably be happier in their new jobs and your 3 year old must feel like shes had a whole new world opened up for her that she never knew existed! Try not to feel bad, you weren't to know and we've all done similar things that play on our minds when other people have forgotten all about it.
Chin up hun xx

Aw Nikki mate. I hate to see you so fed up. Don't worry about your daughter, they are more resilient than us adults and bounce back far quicker. My youngest had 6 teeth out under local (she was 13 at the time), she was fab and so was the dentist. It took half and hour of injections just to get the gums completely numb - thankfully they used a numbing cream first so she didn't feel a thing. As soon as she had finished she asked if she could go to a friend's party that night!! I advised against it, and she was glad I did as she did start to feel a little off as the day wore on , just the shock of it all really. But she thought it was great having different food to everyone else, sloppy shepherds pie, ice cream, jelly, soup, we did a special shop just for her! Just don't let your little one sense your fears.

I have the worst eye sight in the world as I had cataracts removed due to a hockey accident when I was younger. Again you say these things and later wish you hadn't, blimey I said to a couple once upon hearing loads of kids screeching about outside their house "puts you off having kids for life" only to find out they had been trying for 5 years and were about to go through IVF, so we all do it hun!!

And as for the older ones, as long as they are happy does it matter where they work? Again my eldest for years wanted to be a make up artist. She's a straight A student and all the family said she could do better and should go to Uni, but I was adamant that my girls must follow their heart and do what will make them happy. She is now at Uni studying advertising and marketing ( a sudden career decision having seen What Women Want!!!, tried to tell her that she'll not meet Mel Gibson though) at Leicester, but she was put forward as an Oxbridge candidate. Again the rest of the family said she must go, but I knew it wasn't right for her.

I dropped out of Uni in my first year, it wasn't for me, I wasn't happy and I have never regretted it in the 20 years since leaving. If I had stayed I'd probably never have gotten into nails, and never met you lovely guys.

We all want the best for our children, we hate to see them in trouble or pain. But you can only guide them, the paths they choose to take must be theirs as ultimately they must be reponsible for their own actions.

A big shming-shmonging huggy for you my pal.

aww no doubt once this is all over , you will have a fab year , i am sure your little one will be fine ,try not to stress too much(i know thats easy to say )as for your older kids just let em get on with it (could be worse,they could be lazy and not want jobs at all lol) let us all know how everything goes , love dee

Aww, thanks you guys!!! :D

I am feeling better about it all after some sleep :zzz: . Amy has got up and not really mentioned it......I just want to go through it for her. I have such a terrible fear of dentists....having had my 4 front teeth out when I was 3.....I emptied the waiting room with my hysterical screaming....the dentist was a beast :evil: . I had one tooth out back in March, under GA, and I was fine. Like you said about your daughter Sarah, it hit me later in the day.

Yeah, I know the older 2 will be fine. You just want the very best for them. My Son refused to stay on at school, not that they would of had him :eek: , finally after a year of bumming around in dead end jobs he realises that he needs to go to college.....and now his apprenticeship has gone belly up :irked: . Kelly will realise that she needs to go back to education in time, just as I did. Although she has an HND in Horse Studies and Equine Management (4 years of work!!!) she either needs to do the last year to get her degree or do a teaching course where she can go and put all this education to good use........but you can't live it for them!!!

Right, best go and get Grace ready for playgroup.....then Amy and I are going shopping.......well whats a girl to do when she has to take her mind off of things!!!! :wink2:

Thanks for your lovely replys.....
:Love: and :hug: 's to you all
Nikki XXX

All of us who have children can totally identify with what you are going through, but as Sassy said children are really resilient, and they bounce back with amazing fortitude and strength. I have a filling on the right side of my mouth that's trying its best to work its way towards freedom,:irked: I try my best not to even chew on that side...I just had work done on it about two years ago, and the Dr. injected me two times and when she started drilling my tooth I felt it,:Scared: she asked me what I had eaten the past couple of days and I said Lasagna...turns out there is something in tomatos that inhibits the numbing agent...Gee, who knew??
I had a corneal transplant in 2000 on my left eye because I had a condition called (I hope I spell this right) karateconus.
My son had surgery when he was 2 because he had some type of hernia in one of his testicles...he's 14 now, he'll be 15 in Feb, doing just swell, I was a nervous wreck at the hospital and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

I just realized my post is kinda late, but I just thought I'd share some of my war stories with you and let you know your geeky family is always here. If I was in person I'd hug you but since I'm not this will have to do:hug:

Whew!!! Thank goodness that's over with :D

I worried all morning, took Amy shopping, played games etc. just to keep her occupied.....winced every time she said she was hungry....'feel my tummy Mummy, it's empty' :sad: Got to the hospital and had to wait for ages but when she finally went in they sat her on my lap to administer the anesthetic and as she was going to sleep she told me she was scared....boy, did I cry while she was gone.

Anyway.....she is absolutely fine!!! Went back to my Mum's to pick Grace up and before I knew it Amy was jumping on the trampoline :eek: She ate 2 chesse triangles and some ice cream before we came home and since we arrived she has not stopped!!!! The biggest plate of mashed potato and spaghetti hoops was devoured, 4 fromage frais, small pack of choccy buttons, an ice lolly....I think she may go pop!!!!! In all honesty, apart from the great big holes in her mouth, you wouldn't know that she had had anything done..... and off she went to bed, teeth in the little packet, in great anticipation of the tooth fairy arriving through the night......OMG I have just realised how much that is going to cost :irked: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and when I came out of the hospital and turned my phone on I had a message from my son to say that he may have sorted out another aprenticeship... :cool:

So a HUGE thank you to all my geeky friends for your kind messages....I knew it would be OK but sometimes you need some reassurance.

Sending you all :Love: 'n' :hug: 's
Nikki XXXX

aww i am soo glad all went well , i am so soft when it comes to my little one , i cant even take him for his jabs lol ,

Nikki, like the saying goes a problem shared is a problem halved. Sometimes writing it down just helps too, glad things are turning in the right direction for you. xxxx

I'm so glad you're feeling happier now Nikki. I know this post is a bit late, but I wouldn't worry too much about your older children. Obviously I'm not a mum myself but I've started to realise recently about how muh stress I have put my parents through in the past. I ended up self-studying my A-levels at home because of depression, illness and the fact that some very nasty people at my college stopped me from being able to go back in. I then left uni in my first year because of illness, went back and completed two more years but left this summer with a DipHE because the course was so cr*p.
Whilst my parents have always told me that I have to follow my own dreams and not worry about what is the 'accepted' course to follow, I know they worry about me, especially trying to start up the new business now, and my dad feels a little that I am wasting my other 'talents' as a writer and designer.
I think the hardest thing as a parent is to have faith that everything will come out right in the end. It must be especially hard when they seem to be doing the exact opposite of what you feel is best for them. It's quite possible that Kelly may find that her HND opens as many avenues for her as a degree, I know every course is different but my boyfriend learned 10 times more on his HND course than the people on the degree course he left behind. I'm sure Pizza Hut will lose it's appeal pretty quickly!
I hope everything works out for the best, and I'm sure you've got one excited little girl with a handful of tooth fairy money right now :)
xxxx

I too am so glad everything went well - I've heard enough tooth/mouth horror stories from my Dad (Dental Tech) & Sister (Dental Hygenist)!!!!!! Dont worry about your kids I like Lauren left my degree (Politics, English Lit & Theology) and became a Nail Tech its the best thing I ever did. I LOVE my job and I dont care who rolls their eyes at me because I'm Happy! and you never know your daughter may even follow in your footsteps

ah bless ya,
i think we let things build up and build up and then things happen to send us over the edge,
a good whinge and cry, rant and rave, then things get better and it sound like that for you.
its because your a good mum and you worry about your babies(no matter how old)

Hi. we as parents know how it feels when our children are faced with ANYTHING. I come from a very loving, caring family of 8 children and yes everytime any one of us girls were pregant my mum used to say "OH GOD I WISH IS COULD DO IT FOR YOU" Bless Her she had done it 8 times already - thant's what makes good parents to be aware and care. For your older children another old Irish saying is "GIVE THEM WINGS - AND ROOTS" follow this code and you will not go wrong. We as adults know the ways of the world and do not want talant wasted but we also know the joy of waking up on a cold winters day, tired, worrried about bills etc and to be glad to go the the god we LOVE - let our children be the best in whatever career they choose, what we want is not always what they want. You are obviously, loving, caring and patient of parent - go with the flow you have already done the ground work the will be OK.
Cheers
Norah

Latest posts

Back