Dog, Skin leukemia ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loubylou

Reaction score
Do any of my fellow animal lovers have any experience of dogs with skin leukemia,
I took my dog to the vets at the beginning of June and he diagnosed a skin infection ( staphylococcus ) gave her antibiotics, anti inflammatories and a special shampoo,
i have done everything as i was told to the letter but she is no better, in fact it has got a lot worse:cry: so i took her back this evening and he told me he hopes he is wrong but it looks like she may have skin leukemia, i have to take her in tomorrow morning for a biopsy and loads of other tests.
This is something i have not heard of before so wondered if any of you know anything about it or have any experience of it.

Haven't had any experience of skin leukemia in dogs hun but found this link on the web, although you've probably seen it when looking. From what little I know leukemia can affect the skin.

I hope that everything goes ok at the vet's hun :hug:

Merck Veterinary Manual

What dog do you have? Is it all over? What colour is your dog? Reason I ask is that I have a boxer and he gets skin problems on his white bits this time of year it has all flared back up again bit like how hayfever effects humans this time of year.

Thank you for your replies,
It started on the inner top of her left thigh, the biopsy results came back telling us that it was a very aggressive form of tumour,
i have noticed this week that her other leg and paw had swollen badly too and on the advise of the vet made the heart wrenching decision to have her put to sleep,
i took her this morning and she is now resting in no more pain in my back garden where i can still talk to her every day.

RIP my beautiful suki x

I am so sorry to hear this Louise :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an
animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that
pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of
our special friends so they can run and play together. There is
plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and
comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health
and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong
again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times
gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small
thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be
left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when
one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are
intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run
from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him
faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more
into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but
never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together ...

That is beautiful Fiona
thank you very very much :hug:

Oh my god, that is so sad, and I am crying here for you and the poem is lovely !!!

Dogs, I love them but the heartbreak is unbearable.

I am so so sorry to hear of your loss, it is the most heartbreaking decision in the world to make, I know as we have had to make the same one at the beginning of May with our eldest Dottie who also had cancer. She is now resting under a lovely weeping cherry tree in our garden,where we can talk to her every day. It is a hard decision to make, but unlike people our beloved four leggers do not have to suffer, you made the right decision for Suki, she is at peace while you live daily with the heartbreak her passing has brought, rest assured she lives on with you in spirit and she is pain free and at peace. Remember all the happy times together with a smile I know it is hard at this time. Memories are special they unlike our beloved four legged friends and companions cannot be taken away from our hearts

Joan

Latest posts

Back