Doing Nails as a job ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bncnails

Reaction score
:) Hi,
I am looking into doing nails and I am just wondering if it is something worth my time? I have always enjoyed doing them I am just wondering if it will be worth it or if there just isn't any money to be made in it.

I would say its the same as anything else in that if you are willing to firstly train hard with a good company, be patient,work hard to eventually produce good work and be able to promote yourself you can make a good living from it over a long time because you will need to build a client base.
Of course there is lots of competition now and depending on where you live and how you intend to work there will only ever be so many people to have their nails done.
While in training,which would be a good while, you would definately need to have another form of income.

If you do great nails, are great with people, have business skill and gain a great reputation ... you will make money doing nails. If you lack any of these qualities you will not.

If you think it is an easy ride and that you will succeed overnight ... you would be wrong.

I don't know what opportunities there are in Utah, but if you want something badly enough and give it 110% then you will reap your rewards. Good luck, I love my job.

:) Hi,
I am looking into doing nails and I am just wondering if it is something worth my time? I have always enjoyed doing them I am just wondering if it will be worth it or if there just isn't any money to be made in it.

There is alot of money in nails, not just the nails but selling nail products, i have been to europe and back,
currently i am charging 37 for a two week rebase and 75 for full sets, you set your prices and your type of clients you want, you earn alot of money and it is not a job, it is fun............................................................

There is alot of money in nails, not just the nails but selling nail products, i have been to europe and back,
currently i am charging 37 for a two week rebase and 75 for full sets, you set your prices and your type of clients you want, you earn alot of money and it is not a job, it is fun............................................................

I would say .. it's a vocation. Your dedication to providing the best service to your clients is all important.

At the first sign of trouble or awkwardness so many here on the site say:

"Get rid of the client"
"You don't need a client like this"
"I'm not at my clients' beck and call"
"How dare a client ring me out of hours'"
etc etc

Well NEWS FLASH .... this is not the right attitude if you want to make a business of doing nails!! You don't:

"Get rid of the client" You learn to sort out the problem in
a business like and mature manner.
"You don't need a client like this" Oh yes you bloody well do!
"I'm not at my clients' beck and call" Oh yes you bloody well should be.
"How dare a client ring me out of hours'" Pick up the phone and thank god you got the call.

I would say .. it's a vocation. Your dedication to providing the best service to your clients is all important.

At the first sign of trouble or awkwardness so many here on the site say:

"Get rid of the client"
"You don't need a client like this"
"I'm not at my clients' beck and call"
"How dare a client ring me out of hours'"
etc etc

Well NEWS FLASH .... this is not the right attitude if you want to make a business of doing nails!! You don't:

"How dare a client ring me out of hours'" Pick up the phone and thank god you got the call.

i like that, we all need reminders, thank you!!!

If you are looking at 'doing nails' because you think it's an easy way to earn a fast buck then think again.

You need lots of dedication & determination

You need lots of good training & lots of time to practise your skills to hone them into something people will want to pay good money for. Clients can take an age to find & then you have to keep them.
It's not just a question of slap on a set & hope for the best, you want these people to come back to you & to tell their freinds about your excellent nail skills & you want them to be proud of their nails.

I think, as people have posted above me have said, it becomes a passion, an obsession, something that you live, eat sleep or breathe.

I love my job, I can't beleive I'm so lucky to have a job that's as fantastic as this & get paid for it too.

If you don't think any of the above would be 'you', then I'd think about another career.

I'm not trying to sound harsh or put your thoughts about becoming a nail tech down hun, but it's not as easy as it looks.

i like that, we all need reminders, thank you!!!

:lol: Although i QUOTED YOUR POST, my reply was general to all and not directed at your good self, so I hope you did not think I was preaching to you in particular.

YOu are so right, our 'job' is fun, tremendous fun, but some of the newer peeps here on the site need to know that it has a serious side, it is not just fun but very demanding as well. :hug:

I agree with everything else said here and I just want to add something:

You have to make an agreement with your family... They have to know how hard it is to build a client-base. The first 5-6 years I worked my A** off myself. Days, nights, Saturdays, Sundays etc... I was lucky, I have a husband who can work from home and a child that has "grown into" the business. He (my son) knows how hard it is, he knows the positive AND negative sides of running a business and he knows that I have to be at work to get money. I can't be sick and if he gets sick, he has to go to his grandparents or my husband has to be home with him. You have to be prepared that OTHER people will judge you as a bad mother because you work so D*** hard. But as long as you always have "back up", I don't think your children will see you as a bad mother....

And of course, you have to have an economical back up. I had a part-time job the first year I started.

C.

I agree with everything else said here and I just want to add something:

You have to make an agreement with your family... They have to know how hard it is to build a client-base. The first 5-6 years I worked my A** off myself. Days, nights, Saturdays, Sundays etc...

I have found this out for my self ,i do another self employed job mon,wed,thurs,thought i would do nails on a tues, and friday during the day whilst my daughter is at school,...wrong ..i am finding when people phone they want an evenin appointment because they are at work all day mon-fri,which was the last thing i want to be doing..but i know if i want to get my name out there and get a client base ,then im gonna have to do it..and i am ..i just keep looking forward and hope it will pay off this time next year.x

:lol::lol::lol: Oh don't you just bloody well LOVE Geeg sometimes:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back