Don't know what to do with this client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't think taking a deposit from her will do any good. You need to just be firm and say ok I appeciate that you may need to cancel from time to time but you have cancelled 50 times in the last 5 months (thats nearly every appointment isnt it??!!!) and it is having a major consequence on my business. Tell her you now require a minimum of 48hrs notice from her and if she cancels more than 3 times a month you will be forced to refuse her service as you cannot run a business by just working whenever, it needs to be constant.

Tell her that you appreciate her custom and enjoy her visits and would love to carry on performing her treatments for her. x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm usually 100% in favour of making allowances and letting things go but thats a joke. This behaviour is disrespectful. If she doesn't respect your time as much as you respect her custom then it's really a one sided relationship. I would give her one last chance and explain that bookings over "x" amount must be deposited in advance say 50%. You are good at your job and that's why she books you. This lady sounds like she may have issues. I bet if you lost her you would find a way to fill her shoes with more loyal & gracious clients over time.
It's hard sometimes to be firm but some people don't respond to "nice".

I just have on my website 50% of treatment fee is required for longer treatments. If I was you I would just say to her you have a slightly different policy now and maybe say its because you have a couple of other clients that don't even show up which is a right pain when you have huge gaps in the middle of the day !! She might take the hint, you could also change your cancellation notice to 48 hours in advance to give you a bit more time to sort other appointments ?

Hi sorry this is a long one!

I agree, we don't need to know the details of your clients life & issues. Only to offer suggestions on how to manage her behaviour as its affecting your business. It would be great to get her trained so to speak while not offending her.
She could also buy monthly or weekly gift vouchers for herself to put towards treatments I have clients who struggle to pay for treatments, mine are expensive, botox etc. I bring up the conversation during the treatment about the gift voucher idea, some of mine love it as it spreads out thier payments, I also do 0% credit but not everyone would pass the credit check.

This is the copied footer from one of my ovatu emails, I set reminders at 48 hours as 24 left me little room to rebook.

Quality, professional, anti aging treatments provided by expertly trained staff, at competitive prices!
<br/>
Information:<br/>
All "blue" font within emails are hyperlinks that when clicked upon can do a number of tasks. Clicking the appointment times will automatically insert the time into your calender, clicking the business name will take you to the online booking system and so forth. Have a look around the site I'm sure you will love how easy juggling a busy work and social diary around booking in your appointments can be, day or night, 24 hours every day of the year. No more waiting for the salon to open, no more waiting for replies to texts or voicemails!
<br/>
Terms & Conditions:
Please arrive promptly for your appointment, late arrivals will have their treatment time shortened accordingly and if 15 minutes late or more, will need to rebook. Due to the nature of the treatments performed at these premises, children are not allowed in the salon.
<br/>
Payments can be made via chip & pin, with a valid debit or credit card. There is a 1.9% surcharge for credit card payments. Unfortunately cheques are not accepted. Refer a friend vouchers, gift vouchers, birthday vouchers or promotional vouchers should be printed off and presented at this appointment.

My cancellation policy on footer but I may update it:

Cancellation policy
We understand that from time to time the unexpected crops up, however please give as much notice as possible if you need to cancel your appointment, ideally 48 hours is appreciated so the slot can be rebooked. Non attendance of appointments causes unnecessary expense to the business, risks treatment price increases to recoup losses & causes inconvenience to myself and other customers. Non attendance of an appointment will result in the loss of your booking fee & in some instances, the full cost of the treatment will be required in advance to secure future bookings. Thank you for your cooperation.

Why not do yourself a favour and get rid of her?

You can fill the slots she leaves with the people you say you turn away or who are on your cancellation list.

Less stress for you and you will soon have full books again and less agro x

Oh another thought.

You've added up the amount she's spent, have you added up the amount she's lost you in income?

I know she's making you money but your loosing a lot of money with these big gaps . You need to be honest and tell her ! Get a deposit and out her in at the end of the day x

I wouldn't get rid of her but I would address the issue.

I would simply update my website with new T&Cs and put something simple like "Appointments over £70 will require a deposit of 50%. This will be non refundable if appointment is cancelled with less than 72 hours notice"

Just get in touch with her and say you have changed your T&Cs. Details are on your website.

Alternatively, tell her that you really value her as a customer but, due to her high number of cancellations, you are sorry but you will only take bookings from her on the day of the appointment.

If she values your service she will fit in with your new rules.

You do have look after good clients but they have to repect your business too. x

Thanks for all your replies geeks :) very much appreciated, I'm updating my T&Cs tomorrow to say any booking over 2 hours or £60.00 will require a deposit of 50% that's non refundable if cancelled within 72 hours.

I've also told her I can't keep having her cancel so she can either try an book an appointment the day she wants one or she can book an appointment pay the 50% deposit that's non refundable if she would like to book.
She's apologised an offered to pay for today's loss, I was able to fill the whole gap (thank god for Facebook & late night clients!) so I've told her that I wouldn't charge her today as she did cancel within the time policy given but the above would apply from today, just checked my bank account though an she's transferred 20% off her treatment total into my bank account! So think she understands!

Thanks so much for all your replies!

Xxxx

Thanks for all your replies geeks :) very much appreciated, I'm updating my T&Cs tomorrow to say any booking over 2 hours or £60.00 will require a deposit of 50% that's non refundable if cancelled within 72 hours.

I've also told her I can't keep having her cancel so she can either try an book an appointment the day she wants one or she can book an appointment pay the 50% deposit that's non refundable if she would like to book.
She's apologised an offered to pay for today's loss, I was able to fill the whole gap (thank god for Facebook & late night clients!) so I've told her that I wouldn't charge her today as she did cancel within the time policy given but the above would apply from today, just checked my bank account though an she's transferred 20% off her treatment total into my bank account! So think she understands!

Thanks so much for all your replies!

Xxxx

So glad she understood and you can keep your client,
Nice of her to pay something too x

Latest posts

Back