Don't know where to turn

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natjeeling

Reaction score
I have been renting a room in a hairdressers for about 5 months and it was just starting to pick up. I was looking forward to christmas and had asked to reduce my ours in my main job down to 16pw.

But on Monday morning myself and the other hairdressers (who all rent chairs) were sent a text message saying that the owner of the business has closed the salon as from that day. None of the workers including myself knew that this was coming until we received a text on the Monday morning telling us to remove our belongings by 6pm that day.

The place is pretty derelict now and all of the staff are really upset and desperately looking for somewhere else to operate.

The owner has taken his appointment book with him and is renting a chair in a nearby salon. He has not been in contact with us at all, but word goes round and it sounds like he went bankrupt.

I am worried about the other girls but I am really not sure what to do myself now. I am worried as i can't afford another 5 months or so of expense in setting up again.

I currently offer fibreglass extensions, manis, pedis and spray tans.

What do you guys think I should do?:cry:

Hi Hun sorry to hear this horrible news, bad enough but just before Xmas!! Poor you.
Could you contact all your clients and tell them briefly what has happened and that untill you can sort new premises your going to be mobile. All you will need is a mobile table if you don't already have one. It will not cost you any extra. Go on vista print get some funky cards made up and a free website. And just get out there and tell everyone. At least you can keep earning while you think wha you would like to do in the future. Mobile is great fun and low over heads. Hope this helps. Good luck Hun. Xx:hug:

Aw hunny, how awful for you :hug:

Business head on now though, and dig out your contract you had with him, do the record cards/appointment belong to him or do you have a right to your client details?

If this is not possible, can you remember any ways you may be able to contact your clients?

Are you in a position to rent a room/space from elsewhere, go mobile or work from home for the time being? Just to keep ticking over?

I really feel for you and hope you get sorted soon xx

you could put an ad in the paper, telling your clients that you are still availabl and how to contact you? gosh i really feel for you!

you could put an ad in the paper, telling your clients that you are still availabl and how to contact you? gosh i really feel for you!

Great idea! x

I am a firm believer in things happining for a reason going mobile the only thing you have to pay for is petrol you may be better off!Good luck hun

So far this year 2500 salons have closed down. Grim statistics. Have you called all the salon owners around you to see if they have a room to rent? If your clients are used to visiting you in a salon, the mobile idea may prove tricky unless you make it clear its a short term measure. Your old boss has nothing to gain by withholding client info from you, It maybe worth calling him to see if he can at least give you your client info so you can contact them.
An awful situation for you all x

Thank you so much for your support guys. Now the dust is starting to settle I'm thinking of working from home and doing a bit mobile. I have a spare room off my living room in my flat.
I was mobile for a little bit before I went into a salon, but i got really fed up carting loads of stuff about and my car has been broken into, but I don't want to write that off altogether.
Any advice would be very gratefully received x

Hi, sorry to hear this terrible news. There does seem to be salons closing down left right and centre at the moment!

As you were renting a room within this salon, you must be self employed. Therefore your client record cards are your property and legally your responsibility. If the salon owner has ran away with these you need to take steps to recover them. If you still have them, then use them to send all your clients a simple letter explaining what's happened and what's going to happen:)

jes

Latest posts

Back