Dry prep vs wet prep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsxx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have not been doing nails long (acrylics) but am getting very frustrated with lifting (i know
Practice makes perfect, but need the right technique first!!!) I have been taught dry prep by simply pushing cuticle back with rubber pusher and am thinking this may be the cause of my problems.

What I am wondering is what you prefer dry or wet prep and what your process is including what product you like for wet prep I have a curette and chisel and will be having a crack at wet prep with my next set, can I do wet prep with infills??

Thanks for your advice!
Becs

Hi becs firstly it sounds as though you could do with going back to your educator and going over a few things or doing a conversion with a reputable company such as CND.

When doing prep wether it's dry or wet it's important to understand why you are doing what you are doing . The cuticle is non living tissue which gets pushed up onto nail plate as it grows and you have to remove all cuticle off the nail plate to ensure maximum adhesion of your l&p to your bail plate if any cuticle left on the nail it will prevent this happening.

There are two ways a nail tech performs this but either way should be done using the same methods and tools only a wet prep you use a cuticle remover which active ingredient is sodium hydroxide and and helps breakdown stubborn or thick build up I do this on nailbiters and always on new clients first few visits you placeva tiny bit on your cuticle area and spread with your tool do not allow this to come into contact with soft skin on client or your fingers . Then with your cuticle pusher ( your tools need to be good stainless steel ones) gently push towards cuticle area and along lateral folds to loosen the non living tissue.

Next you need your curette to remove it now be carefull as these can be sharp use with care to protect seals . Get client to wash hands with gentle soap and water and nail brush then just warm water to ensure all traces of the remover is gone otherwise it can carry on working and cause service breakdown , dry thoroughly .

You can use your nippers If there is any loosened non living tissue visible or hang nails but only loose tissue NEVER ever living tissue and never pull, I can't stress how important it is to be careful when using these.

When doing dry prep you simply omit the cuticle remover but use same tools you will in time with experience ve able to judge if client needs a more thorough prep to remove but i personally do dry prep on all my regulars whom I see every 2 weeks .

Hth if you need any help just ask,, welcome to the site :)

Last edited:
For me it depends....new clients always get a thorough prep using cuticle away and all my tools.....but when my regulars come in for infills a push back and tidy up is more than enough as regular use of oil and care etc means that they really wouldnt need much more every time.

I have not been doing nails for very long but find you cant have a process and just follow it as every clients nails and needs are very different and I just amend my steps accordingly to suit the service.

Hth lovie

the fingernail fixer has done some great vids on everything and i believe she has 1 on prep search for her shes brill! but also would say as above get some more education ( i again recomend CND) at colleges i dnt believe you get trained to the best of your ability you just get pushed and rushed throught your assesments! good luck hope you get it sorted!

Thanks all for the advice, I have actually already trained in beauty therapy and understand the importance of removing the cuticle and only that!! I do have quality stainless steel tools so think I will ditch the rubber pusher I just don't feel it's doing a satisfactory job however I have my last assessment day tomorrow and have to do in class what I have been taught, so will use my tools at home! I also find I get a much cleaner finish when doing a wet prep for mani than I'm getting with dry prep but perhaps that's down to experience and my girls requiring a good thorough prep!

I'm not completely sure how it all works here in aussie but know that I don't have to do a conversion course to use cnd products so will invest in some Cuticle Away and do a thorough prep on all my new clients (and ones I'm having problems with) and see if that helps my situation!!!

Thanks again for your advice, can't wait for my next client would be nice for both myself and them if their nails didn't lift within the week!!

Will check out the finger nail fixer too!!! Am a fan on FB an she has some great advice didn't think to search her tut's first sorry ladies!

Shocking teaching! A rubber pusher (hoof stick) will do nothing. I bet your teacher us a beauty therapist who doesn't like nails much. She obviously has no idea about the theory.

A bit of wrong info above. Cuticle removers are usually alkaline nit acid! There are some cuticle creams that contain AHA's but that's a different type of product.

What is essential is getting every last bit of cuticle off the nail plate without damaging it or the surrounding skin.

Shocking teaching! A rubber pusher (hoof stick) will do nothing. I bet your teacher us a beauty therapist who doesn't like nails much. She obviously has no idea about the theory.

A bit of wrong info above. Cuticle removers are usually alkaline nit acid! There are some cuticle creams that contain AHA's but that's a different type of product.

What is essential is getting every last bit of cuticle off the nail plate without damaging it or the surrounding skin.

sorry yes I do apologise I for some reason was having a blonde moment it's cuticle eraser with aha ,s not cuticle away is it not? I have amended my post.

Latest posts

Back