Drying enamel myths!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
Does anybody have any "myths" they would like to share...

Why oh why does a client "blow" on thier fingers after you have just applied top coat(and solar speed spray:green:)....they soon realise this does not work!

What about the little 'lungs' and the Little 'stomachs' our nails have so that they can breathe and we can feed them??? :rolleyes:

"But WHY will the polish smudge if I put my socks and boots on just 5 minutes after you've polished them?"
:grr::grr::grr:

I hate the 'flappers!' why do they think that will work? I do make them sit under a dryer from the daylightcompany and they ask if the combination of uv light and air dries nails quicker - I always say yes:lol::lol:
I know it doesnt make a damn bit of difference as I only use quality products but they really cant sit still.

Does iced water help to dry nails? I heard that before

I hate the 'flappers!' why do they think that will work? I do make them sit under a dryer from the daylightcompany and they ask if the combination of uv light and air dries nails quicker - I always say yes:lol::lol:
I know it doesnt make a damn bit of difference as I only use quality products but they really cant sit still.

Does iced water help to dry nails? I heard that before

The water does not have to be iced!

Oil, Water, Anything that cuts the oxygen off the surface of the nail helps to dry it. That being the case .. the last thing anyone should do is flap or blow!! :lol:

Oxygen present on the surface of the polish is what inhibits polish from drying just in the same way it inhibits UV Gels UV from curing on the top.

Ooh very good, Will remember that.
I always use Solar Speed Spray so my clients dont need to reach for the ice bucket just yet.

I was told that 'drying' polish in cold water could make the polish more prone to chiping and shrink back from the freeedge.
Is this true ???
:hug:

What about the little 'lungs' and the Little 'stomachs' our nails have so that they can breathe and we can feed them??? :rolleyes:

and have a rest between enhancements....

One lady i know wants you to wait until each coat is thoroughly dried before you apply the next one as thats what she does at home. Imagine the time it would take!

I was told that 'drying' polish in cold water could make the polish more prone to chiping and shrink back from the freeedge.
Is this true ???

Geeg's comments are the answer: i.e block the oxygen

But, if you want the scientific explanation of why speeding up polymerisation (drying polish as it is a polymer) makes it chip is because a fast polymerisation makes a brittle polymer.

The 'fast dry' polishes are always the ones that chip quickly. The slower the drying time the more flexible the layer.

It is difficult to get a balance of a fast dry together with a flexible coating. I have to recommend Solar Speed Dry as it coats the polish with oil which speeds up polymerisation without accelerating it to make it brittle.

This process is different from 'fast dry'

Why oh why does a client "blow" on thier fingers after you have just applied top coat(and solar speed spray:green:)....they soon realise this does not work!

I had a lady once who blew so hard on her nails I asked her to not blow the color off. :lol: It's VERY frustrating!

One lady i know wants you to wait until each coat is thoroughly dried before you apply the next one as thats what she does at home. Imagine the time it would take!

I've had this, too. Drives me CRAZY!!!!! :irked:

Geeg's comments are the answer: i.e block the oxygen

But, if you want the scientific explanation of why speeding up polymerisation (drying polish as it is a polymer) makes it chip is because a fast polymerisation makes a brittle polymer.

The 'fast dry' polishes are always the ones that chip quickly. The slower the drying time the more flexible the layer.

It is difficult to get a balance of a fast dry together with a flexible coating. I have to recommend Solar Speed Dry as it coats the polish with oil which speeds up polymerisation without accelerating it to make it brittle.

This process is different from 'fast dry'

I understand Geegs answer for drying and blocking the oxygen.
I just wanted to know if the 'cold water' drying causing the polish to shrink and more chip prone was a myth :lol:
Thank you for your answer

I know blowing on them wont help etc but thinking about it chemically, we "inhale" oxygen and exhale "carbon dioxide" NOT oxygen.....

Discuss!!

hehe

Oxygen = O2
Carbon dioxide = CO2
Water = H2O

Half the oxygen in water
No water in oil

my hubby is a chemist and he reckons that the solvent contained within the nail varnish needs to evaporate which is what makes the polish dry, so sticking your fingers in water will not speed the process up. Putting your hands under a heat source ie, heat lamp or uv lamp will help. But this must be done slowly as if it dries too quick it becomes brittle (as mentioned before).

Me, I'm just a nail tech who wants nice polish - quick - so in future I will blow on them, flap, oil them, stick them in ice water and dry them off under my mix lamp.......

somethings gotta work eventually.....:)

I use the solar speed spray, but actually when I think about it, I blow on my own nails, I know it won't work, but i just cannot help it:smack:

Lemmonie:
Actually you only breathe out a very small amount of carbon dioxide. Just think about the fact you can give mouth to mouth....:green:
I know blowing on them wont help etc but thinking about it chemically, we "inhale" oxygen and exhale "carbon dioxide" NOT oxygen.....

Discuss!!

hehe

As lady r says, the polish needs to evapourate to dry. Most nail polish (as far as I am aware) is cellulose based which is the same as car paint. :lol:Now in order for car paint to dry it must evaporate off the surface so anything that you put on the nail won't really help in any major way. The best thing to dry cellulose is warm flowing dry air. NO moisture though!! So blowing on them will make them take longer to dry as you are adding moisture (your breath has moisture in it) when all it wants to do is evaporate! Waving them around will circulate air and in theory help dry them but its all 6 and half a dozen.
Its amazing what people will believe drys nail polish.:eek: I've done many tests on this myself for the elusive quicker finish. The only thing I've found really works is using Seche Vite top coat as it is very thick and therefore already half evaporated and takes less time.:)
The cellulose thing is also why your polish goes gloopy - you're not closing the bottle tighly and its evaporating away without you realising it. Nothing to do with the age of the polish as I've some Jessica and OPI years old and still perfect to use now.:lol:

Cellulose is in polish and is a polymer!

There are solvents in polish and these are virtually a carrier and do need to evaporate

Latest posts

Back