Dye allergic reaction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emzxxx

Reaction score
Hi guys my auntie has been using a black box colour for a few years and when I saw her after 6 months was shocked to see she has 6 inchs 100% grey and rest jet black, she says she had a bad allergic reaction pus coming out of ears. Swollen face, and didn't want to touch it again. I want to do her hair it looks quite bad, yes I'm trained, now I want to cleanse the black out. And use something like wella 6/75 6/73 all over. Now what my question is. What should I be looking for when I've done the skin test as ones I've done before on others come up slightly red. Infact all the ones I've done when I was in college come up red but we took this as fine to carry out service. What would a genuine reaction where you would not carry out a service come up like on the skin please? Thx

Any form of redness should be a no no. Clients don't normally go red to dye do they? At least they shouldn't. If she is allergic to ppd then she will be allergic to every form of hair dye including toners. You should not colour her hair! Each time the reaction will get worse. Unfortunately there was a friend of a lady on here that died due to a severe allergic reaction to dye. As a relative be honest enough to advise her that for her health & safety that she shouldn't have her hair done x

Look up goldwell elumen, you may not be able to buy it but could recommend her to a salon.

Look up goldwell elumen, you may not be able to buy it but could recommend her to a salon.

I'm qualified to level 3 so I be albe to buy that one in my hair supply. does it not cause allergic reaction?

Any form of redness should be a no no. Clients don't normally go red to dye do they? At least they shouldn't. If she is allergic to ppd then she will be allergic to every form of hair dye including toners. You should not colour her hair! Each time the reaction will get worse. Unfortunately there was a friend of a lady on here that died due to a severe allergic reaction to dye. As a relative be honest enough to advise her that for her health & safety that she shouldn't have her hair done x

The area where you apply the skin test usually goes slightly reddish. Was asking what would happen if service a no go like would it be blistering etc. And the answer can't just be a strAight no you can't do there hair, there's ways around it.

Hi guys my auntie has been using a black box colour for a few years and when I saw her after 6 months was shocked to see she has 6 inchs 100% grey and rest jet black, she says she had a bad allergic reaction pus coming out of ears. Swollen face, and didn't want to touch it again. I want to do her hair it looks quite bad, yes I'm trained, now I want to cleanse the black out. And use something like wella 6/75 6/73 all over. Now what my question is. What should I be looking for when I've done the skin test as ones I've done before on others come up slightly red. Infact all the ones I've done when I was in college come up red but we took this as fine to carry out service. What would a genuine reaction where you would not carry out a service come up like on the skin please? Thx

A girl I knew before I started hairdressing was allergic to colour, her hairdressers just foiled a full head colour on her hair as close to the scalp as they good, it obviously took a lot of time but it's better than nothing xx

A girl I knew before I started hairdressing was allergic to colour, her hairdressers just foiled a full head colour on her hair as close to the scalp as they good, it obviously took a lot of time but it's better than nothing xx

Even this would be a risk, during the washing off the tint will come into contact with the scalp and could be enough to cause a reaction.

Sent from my ST26i using SalonGeek mobile app

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1406366144.822296.jpg
My friend is also allergic to tint/colour and this reaction was from a hair colour patch test behind the ear.

If she has an allergy it is really not worth the risk because there is no way round it.

I'm qualified to level 3 so I be albe to buy that one in my hair supply. does it not cause allergic reaction?

They don't sell it in wholesale it for people who have allergies. It doesn't cover 100% white, but it's better than nothing ( NOT foiling with tint as close to the scalp as possible) that still can cause a reaction.

It's like asking a nut allergy sufferer to lick salt off a peanut.

They don't sell it in wholesale it for people who have allergies. It doesn't cover 100% white, but it's better than nothing ( NOT foiling with tint as close to the scalp as possible) that still can cause a reaction.

It's like asking a nut allergy sufferer to lick salt off a peanut.

Oh ok maybe I could get it online, thanks. I know someone who gets foiled full head colour to get round her allergies, but I was thinking the washing off would come into contact. It's a tricky one but I just want to sort it out for her it really looks a mess.

View attachment 71359
My friend is also allergic to tint/colour and this reaction was from a hair colour patch test behind the ear.

If she has an allergy it is really not worth the risk because there is no way round it.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen a reaction like that.

Sent from my ST26i using SalonGeek mobile app

Bleach does require a skin test so if you foil just with bleach then that's ok not.

Haha yeah sorry! Typo!

Hi when I was training my employer would react to every type of colour and product that hairdressers use. So my training was getting full head foiled slices as close to the root as possible without touching the scalp. I had to wash&shampoo foil by foil. And she held towels over her ears. I can't say this resulted in 100% no reaction. But there was very little. Aslong as she knows the risks involed. And your happy to pay great attention to the root area then it can be done :). Hope you find a way or product to use!

Hi when I was training my employer would react to every type of colour and product that hairdressers use. So my training was getting full head foiled slices as close to the root as possible without touching the scalp. I had to wash&shampoo foil by foil. And she held towels over her ears. I can't say this resulted in 100% no reaction. But there was very little. Aslong as she knows the risks involed. And your happy to pay great attention to the root area then it can be done :). Hope you find a way or product to use!

Really???

Is vanity and money really worth risk possible death for?

There's been so many posts like this, it's walking on very thin ice.

If some is allergic, has battered hair, wants something unachievable, I'm more than happy to say no. I had a walk in colour Friday wanted black hair, she begged and I had time but I still said no unless she had been skin tested. She's booked in this morning. I didnt loose client from this.

Since when did we have to be such people pleasers!!

Really???

Is vanity and money really worth risk possible death for?

There's been so many posts like this, it's walking on very thin ice.

If some is allergic, has battered hair, wants something unachievable, I'm more than happy to say no. I had a walk in colour Friday wanted black hair, she begged and I had time but I still said no unless she had been skin tested. She's booked in this morning. I didnt loose client from this.

Since when did we have to be such people pleasers!!

Totally agree 👍

I would never even attempt it....it's still going to touch the scalp when you're shampooing. I have no problems saying no to people, if they want to find someone to do it and risk their health then fine but it's not going to be me!

I've selected one quote but there are many hairdressers on Geek who think ...
The client is happy to take the risk,
I'm just trying to help them,
I'm always very careful.

Just suppose they do suffer some reaction? It doesn't need to be life threatening for a successful lawsuit.

Do you think their husband, daughter, mother will not want to sue you for everything they can get?

One quick call to a lawyer will tell that family member the client can't fail to lose the case.

If you are self employed, your insurer won't cover you as you 'didn't follow manufacturers instructions...' And can you afford to risk your livelihood/home when you lose the case?

Our society is changing and the compensation culture is rife. If people can see a way to make some easy money, they will do it.

If you was trying to quote me then that isn't what I said. The original post was about her auntie. Not a paying client. And just for the record I would never do it on a paying client as It is not worth the risk. I was simply saying it can be done with sometimes with hardly any reaction but as I did say you can't guarantee that. But if this was my auntie. I would explain to her the risks and if she's happy then yes I would do what I said as I know how good I can do it. And no I wouldn't be charging her so it wouldn't just be for the money.

Latest posts

Back