E-file: what to buy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkie

Reaction score
Hello ladies (and gents!),

I need to buy a nail drill, but am at a bit of loss as to which to buy. I was reading old threads on the subject, but can't find them anymore, hence starting a new one. I would like to buy a decent quality one, but obviously keep the price down as much as possible. I remember a link to an American website being recommended several times, although I can't remember what the exact brand and make of drill was, so on top of recommendations I would ask has anyone had a drill imported, have they had any problems with them, and if so, what have they done in terms of guarantee and getting them repaired etc.?

Links to British websites are more than welcome, too! :D

Thanks for the advice. :hug:

Don't have a link for you, but I fully recommend a RAM Products RPM. I have been through 4 different brands and types before getting this one and I will never own another! I can't wait until I can afford a second one just for my pedi area. Don't know if you can find a local distributor over there, but I have had wonderful experience with the one here in the US--it was a little pricey at $300, but well worth it! Lightest, most well balanced easy to use efile I have ever had.

The only brand I trust for eFiles and bits is the American brand KUPA. I see you are based in Manchester, your local source for KUPA eFiles, training and servicing can be found here: Creative Academy Manchester
and this is their number: Tel: 01942 675580 or 0845 2000 311
HTH

As important as buying the right drill is having a place to send it for maintenance!!

Maintenance must be a regular part of your care for the machine or you might as well not have one. Buying from the Far East will not help in the maintenance department (you will have none) and if something goes wrong you might as well have thrown you money down the loo in the first place.

KUPA are the absolute tops in my opinion although of course you can't sample drills very easily to know them all intimately. They are beautiful machines, absolutely reliable, guaranteed, virtually silent and with a very light hand piece and super quality drill bits ... what else could you want??

Your nearest stockist, as wee fee pointed out, is Julia Moran who is an expert and a great teacher and she sells the KUPA Mani-Pro Super Max at her Creative distributorship right there where you are located.

Sweet Squared (the home of CND and the KUPA Mani-Pro Super Max in the UK) also provide the maintenance service for the hand pieces when needed and repairs (rare indeed) if needed. so you have the lot all in one sweet package. :green:

Thanks for the replies, ladies - much appreciated! :)

Alas, the Creative Acadmey website is under maintenance at the minute, but I will ring the number in a few days, as well as trying to see about RAM efiles as well.

I just Googled Kupa efiles and they seem to come in at about just under £300. While I have no doubt they are worth every penny, I'm not too flush at the minute given all the different materials I have had to buy, and would like to invest in a file a little less expensive until I can save up for one like that. Does anyone have any suggestions of any files which come in at about the £100 mark, give or take a bit?

Last edited:
i use a young nails e file. Beautiful machine, nice and lightweight. take a look at their website

i use a young nails e file. Beautiful machine, nice and lightweight. take a look at their website

yep, but it is over 300 pounds

for a few years I have used xenox, I have bought it in 2003, when there where no choice on polish market
and it was awsome shot - xenox was great for pedicures and enhancements, heavy duty, unbreakable - they (we had 3 in studio) last for 6 years without any maintenance, probably because manufacturer is proxxon, they make tools :)
it costs around 70 eur on german ebay, the handpiece is a little bigger and heavier than "normal" e-file I know, but it is really comfortable and great for a short time (but it is possible you will love longer ;) )

This is mine version:
*removed auction site URLs*
HTH :)

Last edited by a moderator:
300 pounds!! mine was 400!!

But im so happy with it. it has saved me so much time, especialy on rebalances. I do lots of these, so needed a lightweight, reliable machine.

I have used cheaper machines, but the weight of them eventually affects your wrist and hands.

my machines has well paid for itself

Well, I have ordered Erica now, had some extra cash and decided to try, but I must say, my xenox works great so far, I did not feel urge to change it. Rather curosity :). Probably it will stay for pedicures, and Erica for hands.

It is really good choice, when finances are limited.

is there anywhere in Ireland that stocks KUPA nail drills?

yep, but it is over 300 pounds

for a few years I have used xenox, I have bought it in 2003, when there where no choice on polish market
and it was awsome shot - xenox was great for pedicures and enhancements, heavy duty, unbreakable - they (we had 3 in studio) last for 6 years without any maintenance, probably because manufacturer is proxxon, they make tools :)
it costs around 70 eur on german ebay, the handpiece is a little bigger and heavier than "normal" e-file I know, but it is really comfortable and great for a short time (but it is possible you will love longer ;) )

This is mine version:

*removed auction site URLs*

HTH :)

Thanks a lot, kasik! :)

I will have a look at this. I do not speak German and from looking at Ebay I do not get the impression that they export to the UK. Have you seen any other links to sites in either English or French (or maybe even Spanish?).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not actually a drill. A drill is a power tool that makes holes. The best nail machine we have seen is called Erica's MT 20. You can google the name and see a variety of suppliers that sell it. Good hunting:)

It's not actually a drill. A drill is a power tool that makes holes. The best nail machine we have seen is called Erica's MT 20. You can google the name and see a variety of suppliers that sell it. Good hunting:)

Yes, it is a drill and it does make holes and you can call it any word that you want but it's always been a drill and if efile or eh-fillé makes you feel better than so be it.

A drill does not just make holes .. look at Black & Decker ... they sand they smooth they buff they abrade they polish they drill holes etc ... if it makes you feel better, mr nailguy, then that is great but don't try and tell the rest of us that were around in this industry before you were probably born that a drill is anything else but a drill. :green:

Lmao. K. Shouldn't everyone try to use proper terminology? Some techs actually use Dremels as nail machines. A sander and a drill are not the same actually as I have used both. Specific nail machines are made for the industry. Grabbing a B&D drill for dirt cheap and using it on clients is not exactly the level of professionalism we are about. Let's not forget we are here to help each other and learn.:)

Lmao. K. Shouldn't everyone try to use proper terminology? Some techs actually use Dremels as nail machines. A sander and a drill are not the same actually as I have used both. Specific nail machines are made for the industry. Grabbing a B&D drill for dirt cheap and using it on clients is not exactly the level of professionalism we are about. Let's not forget we are here to help each other and learn.:)

After 18,000 posts here on this site helping others to learn, I'll try real hard not to forget that one!

I have a very good friend of 25 years, known as Vicki Peters ... who amongst other things represents and works with KUPA .. probably the best drill on the market for nails .. she calls it a drill all the time ... because that is what they have been called for 25 years until someone decided it sounded less like the dentist to say e-file lol. Interestingly the dentist 'sands' and smooths my teeth with his drill and has even filed one or two down with it .. still calls it a drill.

As far as I can tell, mate, you are not a professional in our industry is that right? If not then your contribution to the nail forums should be viewed as a non professional's input even if your nearest and dearest is a nail technician. If your OPINION is that it sounds more professional to say e-file then you carry on. For myself I'll go on calling it what I and my esteemed colleagues have been calling it for the last 25+ years which is a drill. :lol:

Talking of drills, im desperate to to the cnd kupa training, when will it be available xxx:hug:

Talking of drills, im desperate to to the cnd kupa training, when will it be available xxx:hug:

That's called Hijacking a thread as you have taken the original post totally off topic.

Ring Sweet Squared and you can find out about classes. Many CND academies are already offering KUPA S.A.F.E.R classes. You may have to travel .. !

Thanks for the replies, ladies - much appreciated! :)

Alas, the Creative Acadmey website is under maintenance at the minute, but I will ring the number in a few days, as well as trying to see about RAM efiles as well.

I just Googled Kupa efiles and they seem to come in at about just under £300. While I have no doubt they are worth every penny, I'm not too flush at the minute given all the different materials I have had to buy, and would like to invest in a file a little less expensive until I can save up for one like that. Does anyone have any suggestions of any files which come in at about the £100 mark, give or take a bit?
Hi, Just curious... did you ever find an electic file for a hundred pound? i'm in the same situation as you. I've paid out for my course for how to use an electric file and paid for all my products, so i'm now looking to buy an efile but they are all so expensive. Everyone has told me just to save up and get a Kupa, which i was planning on doing but then i noticed your message so wondered whether youhad any luck finding a cheaper but just as good option?

An electric nail file is truely an investment in your business and there are a few things to take into account when purchasing such equipment. When buying a car wouldn't you buy the very best that you could afford??
I would always recommend purchasing from a reputable UK supplier, one with proven experience and total technical support.
An E File should include warranty - should you ever accidently drop your handpiece you would want to be sure that you have the quickest turnaround on repairs and servicing. Sending them back overseas is a costly business and can take up to six weeks!!!
E File bits are just as important, we recommend carbide bits as they create less dust, removing acrylic / gel in small particles that are heavier and less likely to become airborne.
and of course Training!!!! absolutely paramount. All sales of our electric nail files include free training for those who are able to come to Young Nails HQ and most of our classes throughout the UK include complimentary E File training....even our Foundation course.

Steve Dodd at Young Nails UK has worked with an E File since 1985, so with over 25yrs experience Id say that he's pretty much an expert on these things and even jumps in to service and repair the battered old E Files that are sent on to us every week. These aren't necessarily our own brand BTW as we carry spares for every efile on the market and usually turn them around within 72 hrs - with the offer of a loan handpiece should it take any longer.

The E File has had so much bad press over the last few years, namely from misuse but remember....'it's not the tools that do the harm, it's the fools that use the tools'

Last edited:
After 18,000 posts here on this site helping others to learn, I'll try real hard not to forget that one!

I have a very good friend of 25 years, known as Vicki Peters ... who amongst other things represents and works with KUPA .. probably the best drill on the market for nails .. she calls it a drill all the time ... because that is what they have been called for 25 years until someone decided it sounded less like the dentist to say e-file lol. Interestingly the dentist 'sands' and smooths my teeth with his drill and has even filed one or two down with it .. still calls it a drill.

As far as I can tell, mate, you are not a professional in our industry is that right? If not then your contribution to the nail forums should be viewed as a non professional's input even if your nearest and dearest is a nail technician. If your OPINION is that it sounds more professional to say e-file then you carry on. For myself I'll go on calling it what I and my esteemed colleagues have been calling it for the last 25+ years which is a drill. :lol:

LMAO! Hear Hear!! Now that's what I call saying it as it is.. Good woman!:wink2:

Latest posts

Back