Ear piercing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks just didnt know if it was worth my wile doing it. it says they check your premisis but i am going mobile????

I rang my LA and they told me that I shouldn't really do any piercing as I'm mobile and they can't check the hygiene of every premises I visit. They said I could do it "a few times mobile" but then I said well how many is a few and they basically said we can't really put a number on it!! So now I just don't do it because I don't get much call for it anyway around where I live...although I have got the certificate should I choose to work in a salon.

HTH x

I have just contacted my Local Council about this as was thinking of doing a course. You have to register and apply for a Licence which in my council is £220 ! This is for me to do ear piercing from my home address and mobile ( even though I would only do it mobile ! ) It is a one off charge but if you move you would have to apply again and if you want to add someone else you would have to re apply ! Don't think I will do this now as would have to do alot of piercing to get money back !

I contacted the Licensing Dept at my local Council - hope this helps as would think most councils would be similar.

Hi,

I pierce anywhere on the ear, including the top, it says on the caflon website that this is perfectly safe. I will pierce anyone, including babies no age limit.
HTH x x

Actually, piercing through cartilige with a gun is a huge no-no!! This should not be pierced with anything other than a needle.

I have no age limit on what age I'll pierce children either, I find them easier as infants because they don't play with the piercing so they heal much better.

Actually, piercing through cartilige with a gun is a huge no-no!! This should not be pierced with anything other than a needle.

I have no age limit on what age I'll pierce children either, I find them easier as infants because they don't play with the piercing so they heal much better.

Maybe there are different types of training then because I was also told that you can pierce cartilage with the caflon gun, and Im asuming that you mean the top of the ear because the lobe is also cartilage. I have pierced the harder cartilage roung the ear with a gun numerous times and have never had anybody with problems with it.

My training with Studex also covered the top cartilage area too.

I wonder if the difference is between the UK/Canada?

Maybe there are different types of training then because I was also told that you can pierce cartilage with the caflon gun, and Im asuming that you mean the top of the ear because the lobe is also cartilage. I have pierced the harder cartilage roung the ear with a gun numerous times and have never had anybody with problems with it.

My training with Studex also covered the top cartilage area too.

I wonder if the difference is between the UK/Canada?

If someone approached me with a piercing gun I would run a mile.

You may want to check out this website, Carl is one of the top piercers in the country, this page is specifically about piercing using guns

Piercing by Carl and Shirley at The Piercing bodz, Chester, UK

You can navigate the rest of the website from that page....it has a LOT of piercing information on it.

Hi, you need to feel comfortable with the treatments you carry out.
Personally if a child is old enough to ask for them and care for them i will pierce their ears. So i guess around 6 or 7 as the minimum age for me.

If someone approached me with a piercing gun I would run a mile.

You may want to check out this website, Carl is one of the top piercers in the country, this page is specifically about piercing using guns

Piercing by Carl and Shirley at The Piercing bodz, Chester, UK

You can navigate the rest of the website from that page....it has a LOT of piercing information on it.

I took a look at the info on the site & have to say I'm the opposite & so I feel are many people I know. I would hate to have my ears or nose for that matter pierced with a needle. I have many piercings all of which including my nose were done with a gun, with the exception of my belly, my first set of earring were done when I was 3yrs old. I have never had any problems at all. I think the gun method is much less painful & traumatic. plus more accurate. JMO With any piercing be it with a gun or needle there runs a risk of infection but thats generally not because of something the piecer may or may not have done its more the fact the client is not taking care once its been done.:irked: I have never had any problems with using the gun & neither have anyone who I've pierced.

I just read the website that was posted about piercing guns, Being a trained body piercer (after being trained with a gun), I do agree with most of what the site wrote, however they are using a bit of fear mongering. I use a gun for ear lobes only. A gun is very traumatic to the tissue, especially when it is cartalige. I have seen first hand what guns can do. A needle is much more precise as we have to carefully measure and mark the area we are piercing. In the past 8 years, I have had to fix so many piercing gun disasters. I have damage to my own ears from having the top pierced with a gun. Yes, it can be done with a person not having any problems...but more times than not, they end up with huge keloids and bumps that are displaced cartilige that are permanent damage.

I have done a studux earpiercing course and was too wanting to do it mobile, but you do need a liscence to do so! I haven't yet looked into this, but you do need to contact your local council, I was advised it was around £35 - £40 (Thats in Yorkshire mind, could be different elsewhere) I said to out tutor about being mobile so they wouldnt be able to check my premises, she said to make sure I pierced ears int he kitchen where there was running water and where the surfaces were washable and to take some wipes with me to disinfect the areas where I was to work.
But like I say I haven't actually contacted the local council as I haven't decided if I am going to do earpiercing mobile.
I was also told that if I was to contact my insurance if I was to co cartilage and not just lobes! just to make sure that was covered with my insurance.

Latest posts

Back