Electric bill £600 for one month!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hey all what are your electric bills...surely this isn't possible!?

My building is 3 story, Victorian. I also have staff that think we live in the goddam Antaricia!

The heater i do have are small fan heaters. (One in each room)

We don't have central heating (yep I know I'm an idiot , complete business newbie mistake taking on a property without it....with no advise or guidence from anyone)

The landlord is doing the roof/insulation at the moment and I've tried asking if they can do anything but their response was "you are welcome to put heating in"

but i just cannot afford this, I've only been open one year, it's approx 8k + I don't own the building!

Business is going great but, I cannot keep the business going on these outgoings!

Xx

Those fan heaters are expensive to run and ineffective. Oil filled ones MAY be better.

I take it you have access to your meter? You sure the bill is not an ‘estimated’ bill? Did you provide a reading?

Those fan heaters are expensive to run and ineffective. Oil filled ones MAY be better.

I take it you have access to your meter? You sure the bill is not an ‘estimated’ bill? Did you provide a reading?
Going to do that this morning but they assured me it's not [emoji17]

I was in the same position the other week...i got landed with a £2000 i opened it and laughed (more a nervous what the hell laugh)
Rang up and it was estimated. Can you not set up a monthly direct debit of a certain amount?

I was in the same position the other week...i got landed with a £2000 i opened it and laughed (more a nervous what the hell laugh)
Rang up and it was estimated. Can you not set up a monthly direct debit of a certain amount?
It's not really the money owed , thankfully I have it but it just seems astronomical (apparently is not an estimate [emoji29])

Those fan heater burn money -
I only use them to warm up the rooms just first thing in the morning to get warm and use oil filled radiators the rest of the day ... Xxxx

I got a £500 electric bill when I first moved into my salon- I couldn’t believe it! I found out that the flat above my shop was connected to my electricity! So that bill was both for the shop and the floor above. Not sure if something like this could be going on for you? I found this out by checking the metre, turning all electricity of for a few hours and say that the meter was still going up.
I also don’t have central heating so I use electric heaters (from bestelectric radiators) I have 4 of the on and don’t find the electricity bills too high- usually around £150 a month.

I got a £500 electric bill when I first moved into my salon- I couldn’t believe it! I found out that the flat above my shop was connected to my electricity! So that bill was both for the shop and the floor above. Not sure if something like this could be going on for you? I found this out by checking the metre, turning all electricity of for a few hours and say that the meter was still going up.
I also don’t have central heating so I use electric heaters (from bestelectric radiators) I have 4 of the on and don’t find the electricity bills too high- usually around £150 a month.
There is a random meter actually! X

If your in a large 3 story victorian...it's probably right!
My last salon was part of a 3 story building, I rented upstairs to students, to include all bills, as the utilities couldn't easily be separated.
When I wouldn't let them out of the 1 year tenancy agreement early...they whacked the heating up, and opened the windows....that month cost me £600.00!!!:p

If your in a large 3 story victorian...it's probably right!
My last salon was part of a 3 story building, I rented upstairs to students, to include all bills, as the utilities couldn't easily be separated.
When I wouldn't let them out of the 1 year tenancy agreement early...they whacked the heating up, and opened the windows....that month cost me £600.00!!!:p
Little fff-ers!!

X

Hey all what are your electric bills...surely this isn't possible!?

We don't have central heating (yep I know I'm an idiot , complete business newbie mistake taking on a property without it....with no advise or guidence from anyone)

Xx
In the same position regarding electric, would cost a fortune to put gas in as a lot of premises don't even have it coming into the property, so it would be thousands!!
I see you're from Bournemouth, I've never once looked at a shop in our area that has had gas central heating in!!

In my experience fan, oil, convector its all about how many kw you're using, it's all the about the same - fingers crossed yours is a ridiculous estimate! xx

There is a random meter actually! X

If there is a random meter maybe find out what this meter is for? As surely there should only be one electricity meter?

I found out by asking a electrician to have a look (I just sent a picture of where the meters were and pipes and he was able to tell one meter was connected to upstairs)

Latest posts

Back