Essential nails course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunatly i just dont have the money to spend out on childcare along with the course. (unless i can find a nice rich man..hehe! i can dream! ) but i knew if i didnt "get my foot on the ladder" now.. i never would, ive been putting it off for years until i saw this course.. Its given me the drive to WANT to do every other available course when im able to do them etc.
Im hoping to move after xmas to somewhere that has 2 reception rooms, so 1 can be used as a "home salon" in the future, and until the children are in school/nursery i can work from there in the evenings and weekends (their dad is here to see them at weekends) without the added cost of childcare. but yes i DO plan on doing classroom based courses, not just in nails but i also want to offer waxing, eyebrows/lash tints,perms and exxtensons etc and im not expecting to be able to "set up" from home the minute i finish the EN course i understand theres an endless amount of further training i will need.
BUT.... im LOVING every moment :) lol

xx

I didnt say anyone had to justify anything! i was just asking as i dont understand,
why are you so defencive? :rolleyes:

Not defensive i just feel that no one should have to justify why they are doing this course at the end of the day its there choice and they dont have to and shouldnt have to explain WHY they have made that choice.:mad:

Not defensive i just feel that no one should have to justify why they are doing this course at the end of the day its there choice and they dont have to and shouldnt have to explain WHY they have made that choice.:mad:

Couldnt agree more with shell28 here i'm afraid :hug:
Everyones situations/ lives are different so just because some people are able to go straight in to get their hands on learning, others are not so fortunate. I dont see why there should be a need to justify ones own personal circumstances here, i dont think it has any relevance. :hug:

mum, We don't choose Essential nails because we think it's the perfect way to learn, we choose it because for some of us it's the only way we can learn!! I am passionate about nails and have wanted to be a nail tech for years, thanks to EN I can now say I'm qualified. The next step is to practice on real people who have feeling, wash up and pick at their nails. I agree there is a major difference between a plastic hand and a real one, but at least I know what I'm doing BEFORE I'm let loose on real people, I made my mistakes on a piece of plastic!!

Calm down!!

I have always said that an EN course is a start that works for some people depending on circumstances (I have also said this is a PM question from the thread starter)

My point is not to stress over getting it right for a plastic finger! Especially when the main problem is one of adhesive and a rigid base!! Get it right for a real nail. It will HELP but is not the only solution. Every real flat nail will need something that works for that specific nail!

You will have a good idea what to do before you are 'let loose' but you will not know for sure!! You will also make mistakes on real people but, with any luck, not as many.

gemzglitz It is nice that your open thankyou, so many do get stressy maybe its the way that I sound when I type its not ment that way lol , :)

I don't think its bad or wrong or anything like that I was just wondering how one goes from A to B if you no what I mean, and sites like this one are grate for help , also not every class based lesson is good not by a long way , it is at the end of the day for the person to take from it what they can,
I cant help wondering how many people train and then never use it, I know you get that with every trade and type of learning but I would love to see a facts and figures between home learning, privet/companies /product based and collage's,

lol the reason im not getting "stressy" is because i believe this to be the best way for ME and MY CHILDREN at this moment in time... yes maybe if things were different and i hadnt have had my children i would have done a classroom based course, but they aren't and i would NEVER change a thing.

xx

There will always be big discussions on here about the merits of the Essential Nails courses.

First of all, doing a classroom course does not automatically make you a good tech. This forum shows that there are plenty of people who do reputable courses and still dont seem to know diddly squat about nails (not that i'm claiming i do, by the way :)) I think good techs start as the one who are constantly wanting to learn and make sure they do the job properly!!

And yes i could put my children in childcare with someone and go off on a course in a classroom but quite simply i dont want to!!! I'm happy to do a less reputable course while they are young, enjoy the little bit of learning and basic skills and practice it gives me and then go off to the classroom at a later date!! I'm not doing anyone any harm doing it this way (except possibly my partners bank account!) and i'm happy!!!

Everybody chooses to do things diferently and i dont see why thats a problem. There are plenty of people out there that dont attempt any training, just buy some ebay products and think they can teach themselves.

People will get a bit defensive when you question the way they are choosing to do things especially as not all mums are happy or able to leave their children in child care. What might be right for some isnt for others!

Theres plenty of posts about other problems people are having with other products, I take EN problems are not allowed on the main forum? :rolleyes:

I worked in a salon for 8 years as a full-time nail tech, using creative and OPI products, under the training of my boss who did all his creative training in the states.

As he refused to actually put me through a course myself i left. I have now just finished my essential nails course (and i have to say having experience doesn't even help) and i am going to be doing an Ez-Flow course in January

x

lol the reason im not getting "stressy" is because i believe this to be the best way for ME and MY CHILDREN at this moment in time... yes maybe if things were different and i hadnt have had my children i would have done a classroom based course, but they aren't and i would NEVER change a thing.

xx

I couldn't agree more!! Personally I believe I made the right decision for me and my girls. I am now a qualified nail tech but I don't feel ready to go out and work yet, I still have a LOT to learn. The EN course was a great start for me as it is for so many others.

Calm down!!

I have always said that an EN course is a start that works for some people depending on circumstances That's not the impression I got from your last post.

Sorry if I got defensive but for me this was the ONLY option (unless I wanted to wait years anyway!) I did man/ped at college and I agree that it was much easier to learn with a teacher in the room giving me feedback. By the time I got the funds together I found out that my local college was no longer running the nail technology course. Any other course would have involved childcare which for me is not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st of all im essential nails trained and i have not done any other courses and have been doing nails 4 years now and i can still phone EN if i have a problem
im sorry but it is true that EN get slated on here all the time and it was even put to me a few years ago that i could have cheated my cert by getting a friend to do nails for me and send them off, what would be the point of that if it was something i WANTED to do myself??
i have seen on this site loads of people whether they be EN trained CND trained OPI trained and they ALL have problems so whichever system you use practice is the way forward not just having CND trained on your resume does not make you a better nail tech!
we need to stop slating different systems and just be grateful that we are ALL trained and not doing shabby nails that put people at risk!
popits are a great example of biasness as when Inverted nails appeared people slated it till CND came up with their own version as with minx, another company had some and they were slated till CND came up with a different way to glue them on now they are the bees knees
come on people stick together as nail techs and stop rubbishing other systems!!

There will always be big discussions on here about the merits of the Essential Nails courses. (I didnt diss them?)

First of all, doing a classroom course does not automatically make you a good tech.

(DID I SAY IT DID? NO I DIDNT DID I?)

This forum shows that there are plenty of people who do reputable courses and still don't seem to know diddly squat about nails (not that I'm claiming I do, by the way :)) I think good techs start as the one who are constantly wanting to learn and make sure they do the job properly!!

And yes I could put my children in childcare with someone and go off on a course in a classroom but quite simply I don't want to!!!
SO YOUR NOT LOOKING TO DO NAILS AS A JOB THEN? WHERE AT SOME POINT YOU WOULD NEED TO LEAVE YOUR KIDS?)
(AM I A SELFISH MUM ? )

I'm happy to do a less reputable course while they are young, enjoy the little bit of learning and basic skills and practice it gives me and then go off to the classroom at a later date!! I'm not doing anyone any harm doing it this way (except possibly my partners bank account!) and I'm happy!!!
I NEVER SAID YOU WEAR DOING ANY HARM, I ASKED ONE SIMPLE QUESTION I DID NOT FORSE ANSWERS OUT OF ANYONE NOR DID I ACCUSE ANYONE OF ANYTHING

Everybody chooses to do things differently and I don't see why that's a problem. (DID I SAY IT WAS A PROBLEM?)
There are plenty of people out there that don't attempt any training, just buy some ebay products and think they can teach themselves,

People will get a bit defensive when you question the way they are choosing to do things especially as not all mums are happy or able to leave their children in child care. (AGAIN YOUR SAYING THIS, I AM SORRY BUT WE DONT ALL LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE WE CAN AFFORD TO BE AT HOME, AND QUITE HONESTLY WE DONT ALL WANT TO! AS YOU SAID EARLYER "PEOPLE DO THINGS DIFFRENTLY"!)
What might be right for some isnt for others!

My turn
I asked 1 question " why would it be the only way your can learn? "
Okay I don't personally read anything offensive in that ,I thought asking questions was part of having a conversation,(must be my dyslexia kicking in again lol)this has all been twisted! I only came in this thread to answer the original question about adhesive,
If you want to ask me why did I feel collage followed by 1-2-1s and conversions ect was the only way I felt I needed to learn I would not get defensive.Nor would I see it as someone trying to make me feel wrong ect I would say because I learn best from being able to ask a teacher questions at the time and not wate for an email of phone call a day later,
I like to see all angles of the demo ,
Have a trained pro there if I go wrong,
And I have dyslexia so these are things that would help me,
I also like to see how different people work ,(See I answered my own question with out showing distress or feeling victimized!)

1st of all im essential nails trained and i have not done any other courses and have been doing nails 4 years now and i can still phone EN if i have a problem
im sorry but it is true that EN get slated on here all the time and it was even put to me a few years ago that i could have cheated my cert by getting a friend to do nails for me and send them off, what would be the point of that if it was something i WANTED to do myself??
The point is: someone could (if they were so inclined) get a friend who was already trained to do the nails for them, send them off, get a pass qualification, get insurance, and effectively go out and work on the unsuspecting public.
The educators at EN would be none the wiser as they don't see the student actually working on the nails.

i have seen on this site loads of people whether they be EN trained CND trained OPI trained and they ALL have problems so whichever system you use practice is the way forward not just having CND trained on your resume does not make you a better nail tech!
Where does it say that it does?

we need to stop slating different systems and just be grateful that we are ALL trained and not doing shabby nails that put people at risk!
popits are a great example of biasness as when Inverted nails appeared people slated it till CND came up with their own version as with minx, another company had some and they were slated till CND came up with a different way to glue them on now they are the bees knees
PopIts are not a CND product, they're also different to the inverted nail moulds as they are left on the nail and PopIts are removed. Two different products altogether.
You're also not on the right track re Minx, it's unlike anything else on the market, hence why it's Patent Pending!

come on people stick together as nail techs and stop rubbishing other systems!!
I prefer to look at it all from a slightly different angle... some people prefer to take their education one step at a time at a slower rate, others prefer to take their education 2-3 steps at a time and at a faster rate. There are courses for all 'steps', some of which are classroom based and some of which are not.

In my personal opinion I believe that classroom based education is better as you have the educator watching over what you're doing and able to correct you before you continue to practise imperfectly. With home learning you don't have the educator there with you, they can't see your mix ratio, your brush control and technique or your file control and technique (or lack thereof).

How do you know that you're getting it right at the time of application?

That isn't rubbishing another system, it's a question that I'd like an EN tech to answer in support of using that particular type of education.

My turn
I asked 1 question " why would it be the only way your can learn? "
Okay I don't personally read anything offensive in that ,I thought asking questions was part of having a conversation,(must be my dyslexia kicking in again lol)this has all been twisted! I only came in this thread to answer the original question about adhesive,
If you want to ask me why did I feel collage followed by 1-2-1s and conversions ect was the only way I felt I needed to learn I would not get defensive.Nor would I see it as someone trying to make me feel wrong ect I would say because I learn best from being able to ask a teacher questions at the time and not wate for an email of phone call a day later,
I like to see all angles of the demo ,
Have a trained pro there if I go wrong,
And I have dyslexia so these are things that would help me,
I also like to see how different people work ,(See I answered my own question with out showing distress or feeling victimized!)

I'm a little confused!!! You seem to think my comments were directed at you personally.

I have simply replied to the usual babble that comes about when discussing the home learning course

Not only would i never accuse anyone i didnt know of being a bad or selfish mother i am actually if anything very impressed with how you have obviously worked hard to get where you are.

I was simple responding in general to this post or i would have quoted you before i responded.

People will get a bit defensive when you question the way they are choosing to do things especially as not all mums are happy or able to leave their children in child care. (AGAIN YOUR SAYING THIS, I AM SORRY BUT WE DONT ALL LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE WE CAN AFFORD TO BE AT HOME, AND QUITE HONESTLY WE DONT ALL WANT TO! AS YOU SAID EARLYER "PEOPLE DO THINGS DIFFRENTLY"!)
What might be right for some isnt for others!

obviously you've taken offence to this comment by your reply. Let me first say that i cant afford to stay at home, my children are 2 years old and 6 months old..... we have very little money in our household these days but i have chosen to stay at home until my little one is a year old..... this is my choice, its not right for everyone but it is for me, i will live without things for another 6 months to do this.

Also when i do plan on being a nail tech i will work around my partners working hours so that he can take care of the children while i'm working. My mother-in-law is also nearing retirement age and is eager to help out as she's a very doting grandmother..... i consider myself very lucky to have her (most of the time!!! :lol:)

So, just to clarify.... i wasnt judging anyones choices in doing there training / using childcare / taking night classes etc...... i was simply pointing out that everyone is diferent and chooses to do thing a diferent way!

This discussion seems to be going on it 2 places..... anyway we can combine them together so i dont have to keep going backwards and forwards between the two!!?

This discussion seems to be going on it 2 places..... anyway we can combine them together so i dont have to keep going backwards and forwards between the two!!?
No problem, I've merged them both together :green:

Just to make things clear about what i said and why!!!

First of all, doing a classroom course does not automatically make you a good tech. This forum shows that there are plenty of people who do reputable courses and still dont seem to know diddly squat about nails (not that i'm claiming i do, by the way :)) I think good techs start as the one who are constantly wanting to learn and make sure they do the job properly!! I did not claim that anyone had said that classroom courses always produce marvellous techs, i was just posting my thoughts!!!

And yes i could put my children in childcare with someone and go off on a course in a classroom but quite simply i dont want to!!! I'm simply pointing out that i'm aware that i could go to a classroom course if i wanted to use childcare but i dont..... this is in no way supposed to mean that i think people who do use childcare are selfish mothers, i'm simply saying that this wasnt the right choice for me!

Everybody chooses to do things diferently and i dont see why thats a problem. Again, this wasnt aimed at anyone, i'm not responding to anything particular.... just making a simple point.

People will get a bit defensive when you question the way they are choosing to do things especially as not all mums are happy or able to leave their children in child care. What might be right for some isnt for others! This one i think i may have aimed at your post mizzy_dizzy as you asked why people were getting defensive. But again i'm not implying that i think you are a selfish mother, just pointing out that people will defend their choices (its natural!) and that not everyone does things in the same way, this doesnt mean that i think one way is right and the other wrong..... its just a matter of choice!!

EN does seem to be a starting point, but nearly every successful tech that started with EN, has done several courses afterwards. I plan to WHEN I can.

I dunno, but if you add up money, time, respectability, etc, you may save some time and money by doing a course that is truly respected. Respected by who? People on here?!!

If you came to my salon and your only education was EN, I would politely tell you I have no positions, even though (really I should see your work). Too right you should at least see our work!! I did my friends nails a few weeks ago (before I qualified) and EVERY one of her friends who saw her nails asked where she'd had them done. When she told them they were done by a mate who was training, they ALL asked for my number and said they were as good (if not better) then the nails they had done at salons!! Maybe all the nail techs in my area are all C**P, I don't know, but I can certainly (with practice) work towards being the best tech in my area and that is exactly what I plan to do!!!

To me EN is so first base, it represents an interest in the industry, not a passion. So because I trained with EN you would automatically assume I have no passion for nails and no passion to be the best nail tech I can possibly be?? I can tell you if that's the case, you are WRONG!!!!

Lo and behold there is yet another post today asking for help about an EN course. http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/103292-essential-nails-course-problems.html

Really, you should be able to ask your tutor and solve your problem within minutes (learn and progress)prove your skills and get on with it.

Not have to ask elsewhere for advice and wait for a reply.

Training and advice should be hands on. Why? Because it's quicker? To me it doesn't matter how long it takes, what matters is that I am a great nail tech in the end!!

EN is what I would describe as "homework", not the issue/study at hand.

And most professionals/professional salons treat it (and you) as such. More fool them, I will be just as good,it will just take longer. If local techs write me off as fast as you then great, they won't see me coming!!
Sorry for the honesty.

To sum it up, I don't see anything wrong with using EN as a START!!!

Ive been on this forum for a few years, have not been on for ages, lost my password and blah blah blah have had to register again.
I did see the professionals thoughts on EN over the months but I chose to start the course as being offered to pay it off was handy and I could afford it this way.
I recieved the kit, started watching the DVD's, started using my products and then had some problems that really could never be sorted over the phone or email, I started thinking how will I be able to offer any kind of service to a client when I have not been shown how to use my product correctly. The nail on my trainer may have looked well after buffing the hell out of it, so what would a real person feel when I would be trying to achieve a good enhancment????
I put everything back in the box, called EN and told them my fear of hurting, damaging or infecting a clients nail, after some calls I sent it back and got my first payment back.
I decided that the geeks where correct, you need a class based training to be knowlegable in all area's of the nail and nail enhancment.
I saved and have now a few wee courses done, got proper quailifications and I am training in Bio in March.
I feel that if I had not have done basic course's classroom based that I would not have had the knowledge to give a client a full, sufficiently qualified service.
This is only my opinion and my dealing with EN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back