Even if you won't get found out do you still do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear, where have morals gone?

In my site you loose something itll work it way back to you in a few days.

Why cant country folk be like it too?

I found a customers purse at my day job yesterday, she came back to collect it, came in today with a HUGE thank you and a box of chocolates, that was worth a lot more than whatever was in that purse :)

Fuzzball - Thats as if you are assuming country folk aren't good enough to return stuff?

I had a Russian friend visit me in the village ive just moved back to (from London where I worked with her). She dropped her purse on a trip through the village and didnt realise until she got home. We went back through her steps and couldnt find it.

The police station (in the next town) had however had her purse handed in by somebody who went out of their way to bring it to them. The police then contacted her dr in London as there was an apt card in her purse and the dr then called her to tell her to pick it up. So there we have it, country folk do good stuff too :)

Lynne, I would sell the diamond. At the end of the day you tried to get it back to its owner but they never showed. You did what you could and perhaps this is fates way of helping you out a little in a hard time :)

What seemed like an innocent and whimsical thread is taking a turn towards judgemental.

Maybe it would be better not to remark on what other geeks would do in certain situations if it doesn't fit in with one's own morals and ethics.

Just saying.

Peace and respect.

xx

Thank you, but I don't want a "reward". What I want is a clear conscience!

My company is currently being sued by a woman who can only be described as troubled and misguided. She has been vicious, untruthful, malicious and threatening. Those around me wish her all manner of unpleasantness; I on the other hand hope only for it to stop, and that she get the psychiatric help she clearly needs. The poor woman has lied from the first day I met her, telling me she was a doctor, a military officer and that she owned the company. She has taken me to the brink of a nervous breakdown and to financial ruin with the legal bills. She is obviously seriously mentally unwell and I don't wish her any ill will. I just want it to stop.

The world would be a much easier place if we could all just be honest.

You should have a clear conscience. You handed it in.

Perhaps you could advertise it in local lost and found?

And you said you were considering using the money to compensate someone who had been stolen from. Well your good turn could become another good turn.

As for this woman... You are obviously sympathetic. That's very commendable considering.

Perhaps you could use the selling of the ring to help with legal fees?

If you think you will feel better by donating it to charity then yes that's what you should do x

Live and let live?

But don't we all want to be the best that we can be? Live our lives by a code of conduct? Isn't that what society is all about?

Genuine questions!

We were walking down the road in the area where we live some time ago. A guy in his 20's rushed over from the other side of the road and asked us if we'd come across a twenty pound note. He was clearly anxious, a bit more than you'd imagine really, and more so when we'd said that we hadn't, sorry.

We carried on walking and within a few minutes, both new that what we spotted just ahead was a twenty pound note on the ground. We looked around to see if the guy was still back along the road, looking, but couldn't see him.

It wasn't long before we came across him again, still looking, and the look on his face and the reaction was worth so much more than a random find of £20 in the street.
We didn't ask him what it was for, but I get the feeling it may have been his very last twenty quid.

What seemed like an innocent and whimsical thread is taking a turn towards judgemental.

Maybe it would be better not to remark on what other geeks would do in certain situations if it doesn't fit in with one's own morals and ethics.

Just saying.

Peace and respect.

xx

Very very valid x

I think, regarding Lynne's post on the diamond, that you cannot do what you would really like to do, ie return it to its owner. The only other avenue I can think of is putting an advert, obviously not revealing the exact find, in a local newspaper appealing to the owner.

If it is still not claimed then it does become yours. You've done more than many people would. I think you should use the money as you would if you were selling an item of your own. (And bear in mind, that if you do choose a charity, it can only be your choice. The original owner might not have agreed with it )

I hope this helps; imho you have no need to feel guilt over it.

Live and let live?

But don't we all want to be the best that we can be? Live our lives by a code of conduct? Isn't that what society is all about?

Genuine questions!

Yes I absolutely agree with you Lynne. I don't disagree with anything you have said actually.

I just feel uncomfortable, that a fellow geek probably feels uncomfortable with the responses to her admission that she would do something others feel is wrong.

It would be better to not make a comment rather than highlight the situation.

Do you see what I mean?

Lets just say if i drop my earing or ring or whatever a hell of a lot of people would not come rushing over to give it back cause the way my family and i probably look to them.

But reading this shows that there is decent peoples out there who do care.

If only all were good and true.

God bless.

Lynne you've reminded me of when my mum & I went out for dinner them a show. We GENUINELY walked out of the restaurant & said ooh thanks for that - to each other - before realising neither of us had paid!! Mortified, we popped in after the show, and (very embarrassed & redfaced) humbly apologised to the Maitre'D. He asked the waitress to come over as neither could believe we had come back to pay & she'd been told off for being screwed over & the bill was coming out of her (student) wages! Although we went in feeling rotten we were very glad we fessed up!! Xx

Very very valid x
Princess, Lynne, Dandy, I hate to go against my lovely geeky friends but that part of the thread made me feel a bit weird.

Mwah mwah xxxxxxxxxxx

I would also have told them, As long as I don't have a guilty conscious then I know I'm doing the right thing x

Princess, Lynne, Dandy, I hate to go against my lovely geeky friends but that part of the thread made me feel a bit weird.

Mwah mwah xxxxxxxxxxx

Me saying valid? Or the general responses. Yeah I felt a bit awkward but I commend people's honesty generally x

Mwah mwah xxxxxxxxxxx

I agree we shouldn't make anyone who is honest enough to reply feel bad, and have praised honesty. Only honest to say if when one disagrees though.......mwah mwah back, lovely one x

Me saying valid? Or the general responses. Yeah I felt a bit awkward but I commend people's honesty generally x

No not you saying valid but the general responses .. you is a gorgeous princess!!

No not you saying valid but the general responses .. you is a gorgeous princess!!

Thank u x lol. Yeah I agree. It takes all sorts. We are all different. And no one is a saint.

i believe what goes around comes round....or karma call it what you will.

that and having been educated by the nuns who believed in a combination of threats of hell and damnation and walloping you with a stick to drum honesty / doing onto others as they would do onto you and if that fails ... guilt...

Hmm I imagine if we HAD to live like "do unto others as you would have them do to you" generally speaking the world would be a better place!

I also think happy people are kinder, kinder people are happier whichever way it goes. Plus I've had two beers now so I'm feeling a lil' warm 'n' fuzzy :D

In college our cupboards for bags etc is a big unit, and I always forget the exact cupboard I put my belongings in.. So opening a few around the area I thought my stuff was, I came across £10 and some pound coins shoved by someone's bag, I could have easily pretended that was my cupboard, slyly take the money and be done with it. But no I called my tutor over while nobody else was around (incase it went walkies) explained how I found it etc and she removed it to put it in dispensary safe until we knew who's money/bag it was.

After work had finished the person who's money/bag it was couldn't thank me enough, even though it wasn't much it is still someone's belongings and clearly meant something to them, I'm glad it was me who found the money and not somebody else who wouldn't have thought twice stealing it xx

Latest posts

Back