Even if you won't get found out do you still do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What seemed like an innocent and whimsical thread is taking a turn towards judgemental.

Maybe it would be better not to remark on what other geeks would do in certain situations if it doesn't fit in with one's own morals and ethics.

Just saying.

Peace and respect.

xx

Sorry but I don't actually understand what you mean here.
Honesty is honesty, plain and simple how can it be moral or ethical to misappropriate someone else's belongings?

I don't want to get at anyone on this topic, and I am sure some of the comments were tongue in cheek or throwaway comments which in reality would not happen.

To me there is no difference between pocketing a £20 note you found in the street, to taking £20 out of someone's handbag in the staff room, and personally I don't have the patience for Karma, I would call the police.

I am not going to make a comment about anyone else just tell about me!

I used to go to our local small supermarket daily and when the children were small I would use the hood to put my purchases on as it was difficult to carry a basket as well, one day I realised i hadn't paid for the milk hanging on the handle so I went back in later and told them - I had very strange looks from the staff :o
fairly recently we were in Pizza Express and my daughter slipped her pizza off her plate onto the floor, we tried and tried to pay for another but they wouldn't let us - needless to say we left a good tip.

I will never forget my panic when I lost my purse outside the Co-Op a couple of years ago. It had my last bit of money in, my cards, driving license etc.

I retraced my steps and searched for it until I was blue in the face, then finally gave up and went home.

A few hours later, an elderly couple arrived at my house with my purse.

They had read my address on my driving license and returned it to me, money and cards intact.

I thought this was so lovely, and VERY unexpected. I know I would do the same thing!

xx

Wow some of you are really honest people, I need some of you where I live!
I believe in handing things back, I found a mobile in a taxi and handed it in, also keys in a shop, they was handed in too. However I lost my purse a few months a go with £200 in, yes my purse was handed in only to find money and A few cards gone. They mains well of kept my purse to be honest!
My grandma found a suitcase of money in ikea, handed it in at customer service. The man who owned it came to collect as they was handing it in, only to curse at my grandma, telling her she had no right touching his things. How rude!

So my point is, why be so nice and so kind hearted when people don't appreciate it? I think some times we live in a horrible society, where honesty and loyalty does not always get you far!

Honesty is honesty, plain and simple how can it be moral or ethical to misappropriate someone else's belongings?

I don't want to get at anyone on this topic, and I am sure some of the comments were tongue in cheek or throwaway comments which in reality would not happen.

To me there is no difference between pocketing a £20 note you found in the street, to taking £20 out of someone's handbag in the staff room, and personally I don't have the patience for Karma, I would call the police.

Sorry i dont get the last bit - if i find cash lying on the street & theres no one around - if i pick it up and keep it you will regard me to be thief?
In my mind, that is going too far...

When i was little, i went to church for a confession... i told the priest i found some money and kept it- i was feeling very guilty at the time. His response was something along the lines of: you should never feel sad when you loose something & never get too excited when you find something (i do still remember word for word whar he said, its just in a different language).

The point is, personally, when i have witnessed people loose things (cash, mobiles, cards,id, etc.) I have ALWAYS returned stuff to them. However, if i find something i cannot trace back to rightful owner - i will keep it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I've always handed in any purse/wallet at either the police station or the shop nearest to where I found it
A year ago in town the woman in front of me in town had a £5 note fall out her pocket, my daughter picked it up, shouted "excuse me lady" several times for her to turn round & mutter "f***ing kids" so I took her to Claire accessories & let her spend it!!

I would always hand in something I have found and have done several times in the past such as wallets, purses, shopping bags and phones but when you see a five pound note lying in the gutter of a busy city, what are you suppose to do? Leave it for someone else to pick up? Take it to the nearest police station? Come on...! Sorry, but I kept the fiver.

I once followed an old man out of my bank branch because he just shoved a wad of notes in his back pocket which was easy to see ( and steal) I stopped him and told him to be careful and perhaps put it somewhere safer but I was told to p*ss off. That's gratitude for you. I doubt he would have had that money for much longer.

I was behind an elderly lady at a cashpoint it was just before Christmas and i was skint. She left 250 pounds in the tray and walked off I chased her down the high street and returned it about 6 weeks later my purse fell out of my bag under a table in a cafe, I went home not even realising what had happened when i got a call from a lady who had picked it up and found a business card in there hoping to trace the owner! I got my purse with all cash and cards in place and gained a client to boot! Karma? I believe in it and personal responsibility :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I was out shopping with my partner a few weeks ago and we found $15 wrapped up with some receipts lying on the ground in the doorway. We picked it up and took it to centre management then went about our shopping for a few hours.

On our way back out the door the lady from centre management stopped us. She said that a young girl had come back looking for the money. It wasn't much money but it was her first day at a new job and she had been sent out to get lunch and had dropped the change. She was distraught and thought she would get fired for loosing the money so I was glad that we had found it.

No need to be sorry, it's ok.

Depends what it is...

Once an old man who was very poor-sighted asked me to help him at a cash machine (ATM)

He asked me to assist him to withdraw some money but what he didn't realise was he'd already drew out £300 and it was sitting in the tray ready for him to take.

I guided his hand to it and helped him put it away in his wallet.

That was the right thing to do.

Another time a lady pushed in front of me in the ATM queue, was huffing, puffing, cussing etc.

She tapped a load of buttons then stormed of. As I approached, £300 came out so I swiped it.

Do I feel guilty? No she was a cow!

Dear HWilliams,

I once rushed in front of a woman at an ATM, cussing and puffing, being really horrible. Just because that's the way I am. I didn't collect my £300 upon leaving, so I am glad you found my money,

Please send it to
Tanfastic
Nasty Cow Close
Horridville
UK.

LOL,

no seriously though, I think maybe Karma paid you back that day by letting you have the 300 you so honestly gave to the elderly gent, or you were tested and came out lacking.

I often find that I get a second chance at gaining what I did not take, hand in a wallet at a police station and the next day win something on a scratch card etc.

Watch this space.:wink2:

When we went to turkey in June, a lady left her bag in the departure lounge I see her leave it on the side & just walk off & sit down, it was absolutely full of money, I'd take a guess of about £500 all of it hanging out the top :eek: I took it over & she was so greatful, bless.

Another time I found a wallet in the paper shop, it was when england had that real bad snow 2 years ago, i was going to tenerife the same week so couldve easily swiped it for spending money... it had an old mans driving licence in it, cash, cards with pin numbers on bits of paper clearly obvious that it was for the cards :eek: & a photo of 2 little girls (grandaughters im assuming) I walked 20 minutes in the snow to his house & knocked on the door, he cried because I'd taken it back, so I cried because he cried!! lmao his wife took me home, I'll never forget how relieved he was.. every time it snows now i instantly think of him lol

I did tell the old guy off though! ditch the paper with mr pin number on!

I found a real smart blackberry phone on the bus, handed it in to the driver .. & then phoned the bus station up to tell them what time I found it & on what bus, just incase the bus driver decided to pocket it, if I wasn't having it neither was he lol

I can't say when I've lost something it's been returned though! because when I was 9 I lost my purse on scarbrough beach & some nasty little person kept it, I had all my pocket money in that & had to spend the whole holiday rationing a bag of 2's & 1's out because my dad wouldn't give me any more :sad:

Yes very bitter about that! Pmsl.

Depends what it is...

Once an old man who was very poor-sighted asked me to help him at a cash machine (ATM)

He asked me to assist him to withdraw some money but what he didn't realise was he'd already drew out £300 and it was sitting in the tray ready for him to take.

I guided his hand to it and helped him put it away in his wallet.

That was the right thing to do.

Another time a lady pushed in front of me in the ATM queue, was huffing, puffing, cussing etc.

She tapped a load of buttons then stormed of. As I approached, £300 came out so I swiped it.

Do I feel guilty? No she was a cow!

:eek:

There are sayings like "you get back what you put in!" and "what goes around comes around" so yes i will do the right thing as i believe in Karma as if ended up finding a phone or something and keeping it i would feel it gave me bad vibes so what is the point?

x

Quite plain and simply, it's not mine so what gives me the right to keep it?

I do agree with the person who said that if they saw £10/£20 whatever on the street and no way of tracking the owner, I would keep it then. I remember once I was on my way home from work and OH asked me to go get him a game from Oxford St. I was so irritated because it added 45 mins onto my trip home! As I got off the tube (with millions of others at 6pm ish!) I spotted a £20 note on the step in front of me, so yes, I picked it up and it paid for OH's game. Had I known who dropped it of course I would have stopped them and given it to them, but honestly... there is no way of knowing in that situation. Im the same if my daughter spots a pound on the street and wants it for her piggy bank - thats fine too

I do agree with the person who said that if they saw £10/£20 whatever on the street and no way of tracking the owner, I would keep it then. I remember once I was on my way home from work and OH asked me to go get him a game from Oxford St. I was so irritated because it added 45 mins onto my trip home! As I got off the tube (with millions of others at 6pm ish!) I spotted a £20 note on the step in front of me, so yes, I picked it up and it paid for OH's game. Had I known who dropped it of course I would have stopped them and given it to them, but honestly... there is no way of knowing in that situation. Im the same if my daughter spots a pound on the street and wants it for her piggy bank - thats fine too

STOP!!! THIEF!!! Just kidding. :hug:

I agree if i see someone drop money i always pick up and give it to them, but if i was walking down the street and seen a £10 note noone around i would guess i would feel lucky and pick it up! x

I once found 95 euro in the middle of the street - people walking by, stepping on it and all.
I took it. I was on the way to pay a deposit on a house. I was a bit early so i thought that since i found the money i could go shopping and spend it.
I didnt find anything in the shops and went to the agent to pay the money owed.
It turned out we had misscalculated how much we had to pay for the house and after adding all my wages and every penny i had, i was still 100 euro short of paying a full aum of money. Thats where that 95 i found saved me! I added it to the amound and the house was mine :) I would have been homeless if i didnt come across that money :( to be honest, i thought that it was someone (something) looking over me. I still do.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back