Experience of Microdermabrasion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondered if any of you beauty geeks have any experience of using ir having microdermabrasion treatments?

How was the experience for you?

Just bumping this one up.

does this mean none have you have experienced this?

Am thinking of trying this equipment in a salon I am joining soon and wondered whether it is worth the set up costs.

no i have never tried it myself but have heard good things about it xx
sorry i couldn't be useful! xx

I also use dermanew its so easy and the traing was fab. Its an inexpensive start up and they have great retail items which my clients love. Its worth looking into if you are interested in micro dermabrasion

I was talked into having Micro Dermabrasion by my local beauty therapist before my wedding. I found it quite harsh on my poor skin:rolleyes: .

I found it a very costly experience with not much result.

This was only my experience tho.

Hello

Here's my opinion:
I have heard good and bad things about this treatment. I guess in the right hands it would be effective as it involves exfoliating the skin and therefore you would deffinately see an improvement in people with fine lines and conjested skin (with comedones but not pustular acne):

Fine lines:
It would make the lines "look" shallower by sloughing off the skin either side

Conjested skins:
These skins are not turning over cells properly so they can benefit from extra exfoliation.

However I have also read up that it can-
In the long term:
Damage skin due to the fact that the trauma on the skin that forces it to repair itself thus giving a good looking result short term but actually causing long term damage to the underlying collagen.

In the short term:
Be too agressive for some skin types. You may end up with a red face or irritated skin.

It also thins the skin so clients must wear sunblock to prevent hyperpigmentation (client should ideally wear sun protection anyway with all types of exfolation so this point is not so much of a problem (more advise!)

I personally prefer to use AHA or BHA peels (after a patch test on more sensitive skins) as then you are not pounding on the skin, just sitting on the surface, but just as effective. I would personally see microderm abrasion as something you would not want to do on someones skin regularly (maybe just in courses) so it may not be a great earner.

Looking forward to others opinions

:)

Just thought I should add that my comments are related to crystal mechanical microdermabrasion as performed by a large salon type machine :)

Just thought I should add that my comments are related to crystal mechanical microdermabrasion as performed by a large salon type machine :)

Thabks Weezie

What do you thin about the Dermanew microdermabrasion option as mentioned in some of the above posts?

We use Microdermabrasion with crystals at work, it is a very popular treatment, the system we use has different "levels", so can be used lightly as a beauty flash or right up to the level that can be used for acne and stretch marks.

We also use it with Caci Non-surgical facials, again really good resutls. HTH

We use Microdermabrasion with crystals at work, it is a very popular treatment, the system we use has different "levels", so can be used lightly as a beauty flash or right up to the level that can be used for acne and stretch marks.

What make is your microdermabrasion with crystals?

only one i tried is the one from boots, costs about £53 and is brill

What make is your microdermabrasion with crystals?

It is Caci - the machine itself is quite "retro" looking, and cost wise to do each treatment is about £4. HTH

Beautytherapist the Dermanew as mentioned above looks to me like it is the old brushing technique which has been used for years but with the added effectiveness of salicyilc acid in the cream to dissolve dead caells. I'm not sure that it is the best idea to scrub and thin the skin at the same time but I've never used it. It seems to me to just the same as scrubbing your face with a rough cloth with a topical aplication of salicylic acid (not something I would do personally)

An alternative on an oily/conjested skin or mature skin would be to do

A gommage (setting peel that you rub to remove while supporting the skin) to exfoliate

Then a gentle fruit acid peel (e.g papya) (I do a head massage while this works)

Steam with extractions-if needed (to create the same improvement in circulation on an oily skin wthout over stimulating)

An ampule aplication for the skin type followed by a stimulating face massage (no massage on conjested skin)

Mask (with neck and shoulder massage)

Moisturise

Sun protection (especially important after exfoliation)

The ampule aplication and additional peeling is what distinguishes this facial from the basic. It is more gentle on the skin and give excellent results.

Sorry Theresa I called you "beautytherapist" and for some reason on some threads I can't edit!!!

Beautytherapist the Dermanew as mentioned above looks to me like it is the old brushing technique which has been used for years but with the added effectiveness of salicyilc acid in the cream to dissolve dead caells. I'm not sure that it is the best idea to scrub and thin the skin at the same time but I've never used it. It seems to me to just the same as scrubbing your face with a rough cloth with a topical aplication of salicylic acid (not something I would do personally)

An alternative on an oily/conjested skin or mature skin would be to do

A gommage (setting peel that you rub to remove while supporting the skin) to exfoliate

Then a gentle fruit acid peel (e.g papya) (I do a head massage while this works)

Steam with extractions-if needed (to create the same improvement in circulation on an oily skin wthout over stimulating)

An ampule aplication for the skin type followed by a stimulating face massage (no massage on conjested skin)

Mask (with neck and shoulder massage)

Moisturise

Sun protection (especially important after exfoliation)

The ampule aplication and additional peeling is what distinguishes this facial from the basic. It is more gentle on the skin and give excellent results.

Wow Weezie - you sound very knowledgible. What brand of products do you use - I presume from your reply that you dont use an mechanical form of microdermabrasion?

Thanks Yvette - how mamyn treatments do you do per week? How long did it take to get up an running to recoup the costs of the machine?

This is one of the things I am going to look at at EC, can anyone recommend what to look for in a machine (not the brushing type, but the ones with little particles), and also if they can personally recommend a make of machine?

How regularly does a client have this done, or is it a one off? What sort of prices do you charge?

(Sorry Oey hope I'm not hijacking :) )

This is one of the things I am going to look at at EC, can anyone recommend what to look for in a machine (not the brushing type, but the ones with little particles), and also if they can personally recommend a make of machine?

How regularly does a client have this done, or is it a one off? What sort of prices do you charge?

(Sorry Oey hope I'm not hijacking :) )

No problem Sassy - looking forward to what response you get - trying to see if it woud be worth investing the £5000+ in one of these machines, but need to know if it would be popular. The ones that I have seen in the press that have a good reputation and publiclity are CACI and Crystal Clear.

Latest posts

Back