Experienced nail tech in the Edinburgh area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a long shot but i may as well try :) im looking to "shadow" an experienced nail tech who offers brisa gel in Edinburgh or surrounding areas. i love the stuff but im at a bit of a cross roads with it, im having nothing but problems so would LOVE the chance to watch a pro to see where i may be going wrong..

i would be eternally grateful if anyone could help me out...

ps. im very small and quiet so don't take up much room...lol...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

What a good idea, I've seen experienced techs helping other techs on here before.

I might be asking the same in the new year, so let us know how you get on. I haven't done any enhancements since my training and I was reading about your struggle with Brisa on your other thread. For me personally, in training, it would have been great to see a full set of enhancements being applied and a full set being removed too. Enhancements scare me :Scared: Lol. But I have decided to start again with them in the new year. Like you though, I have spent a lot of money on training & products but I have run out of money and business is slow.

I think you're doing brilliantly, especially the way you are working through your issues with enhancements. I seriously hope an experienced tech can help you or I would hate to see a good, conscientious tech have to give up before she'd even started :hug: xx

What a good idea, I've seen experienced techs helping other techs on here before.

I might be asking the same in the new year, so let us know how you get on. I haven't done any enhancements since my training and I was reading about your struggle with Brisa on your other thread. For me personally, in training, it would have been great to see a full set of enhancements being applied and a full set being removed too. Enhancements scare me :Scared: Lol. But I have decided to start again with them in the new year. Like you though, I have spent a lot of money on training & products but I have run out of money and business is slow.

I think you're doing brilliantly, especially the way you are working through your issues with enhancements. I seriously hope an experienced tech can help you or I would hate to see a good, conscientious tech have to give up before she'd even started :hug: xx

Hope iv not put you off Beccy? It really is lovely stuff and i enjoy using it but..... well, you know the story if you have read my other thread. How come you havent gave it a go yet? I really dont want to give up and tbh I cant as iv invested sooo much time and money into doing the course, lets hope i "get it" sooner rather than later. Thanks for the words of wisdom :hug:

Thats ok, you are a good nail tech and having seen some shocking work, good techs are badly needed.

I enjoy Brisa, but can't get to grips with removal and when you hear the scary filing stories it puts me off, I'd never had enhancements before I trained and I would love to see a full set being applied and removed.
I found l&p hard, but the removal ok. I haven't done enhancements since re-balance day, I know I have to get to grips with enhancements, which is why I've set myself a goal to get re-started with them in the new year. But money is a big issue now.

I'll get there, it's just going to take longer than I thought xx

Thats ok, you are a good nail tech and having seen some shocking work, good techs are badly needed.

I enjoy Brisa, but can't get to grips with removal and when you hear the scary filing stories it puts me off, I'd never had enhancements before I trained and I would love to see a full set being applied and removed.

I found l&p hard, but the removal ok. I haven't done enhancements since re-balance day, I know I have to get to grips with enhancements, which is why I've set myself a goal to get re-started with them in the new year. But money is a big issue now.

I'll get there, it's just going to take longer than I thought xx

Yeah, I like the idea of seeing a full set being done too so iv booked myself into getting a nice set of brisa done - maybe you could too? The removal is honestly ok - a bit boring but once we get more confident with the file im sure we will get them buffed away in no time. Im hoping to do some 121 after the year as well, just can afford it this side of xmas which is a bit of a pain as loads of folk want nice nails for xmas and we will be missing out on the xmas trade. Yup, we will get there, so long as you love all things nail and determined.Hopefully we will be laughing at these threads this time next yr and wonder what all the fuss was about :hug:

I hope so, I really,really hope so.

Might have to get my nail trainer out and have a little go!! lol x

anybody?
:-(

Surely the best idea is to contact the Fingertips Centre, tell them what you want to do and they can not only suggest the best salon at which to have your nails done, but maybe even find someone who will be willing to help? Much better idea towards getting a positive result than asking here if you want my opinion. Maybe you don't!! :biggrin:

Surely the best idea is to contact the Fingertips Centre, tell them what you want to do and they can not only suggest the best salon at which to have your nails done, but maybe even find someone who will be willing to help? Much better idea towards getting a positive result than asking here if you want my opinion. Maybe you don't!! :biggrin:

Of course i want your opinion - good or bad, i can take it. ;-)

yeah, i did contact them but the best thing for me to do would be to book a few hours of121, can't afford it this side of xmas though. I have booked in to get my nails done by a girl who is cnd trained and sitting her masters soon, she has got a new job so doing an introductory price... good idea? Im thinking i will at least get an idea of thickness and the amount of gel needed. I did ideally want to shadow someone for a day or so to get a better idea but i understand that most won't want someone hovering about..

Of course i want your opinion - good or bad, i can take it. ;-)

yeah, i did contact them but the best thing for me to do would be to book a few hours of121, can't afford it this side of xmas though. I have booked in to get my nails done by a girl who is cnd trained and sitting her masters soon, she has got a new job so doing an introductory price... good idea? Im thinking i will at least get an idea of thickness and the amount of gel needed. I did ideally want to shadow someone for a day or so to get a better idea but i understand that most won't want someone hovering about..

If I were closer, I'd teach you for nothing ... all you need is to be shown and more importantly, someone to watch YOU who can tell immediately what is hindering your development. Usually it is something so simple ... often even just over/under -analysing things.

If I were closer, I'd teach you for nothing ... all you need is to be shown and more importantly, someone to watch YOU who can tell immediately what is hindering your development. Usually it is something so simple ... often even just over/under -analysing things.

Thats very kind of you to say that Gigi :hug: Its a lovely gesture, even if its not possible...lol....

I'm scratching my head a bit here. I totally appreciate that practice makes perfect, but surely if you've done CND Complete then you should have been taught Brisa to a sufficient standard and you should be working on perfecting your technique at this stage rather than having all these issues? And if at this stage you're struggling to the extent that you clearly are, then why isn't your educator supporting you in reaching an acceptable working standard rather than offering additional training at additional cost?

Like Gigi says, all you need is to be shown and for someone to watch your work - so why hasn't your educator made the same kind of offer which Gigi has?

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here kinkyboots but I'm afraid I really don't get it.

I'm scratching my head a bit here. I totally appreciate that practice makes perfect, but surely if you've done CND Complete then you should have been taught Brisa to a sufficient standard and you should be working on perfecting your technique at this stage rather than having all these issues? And if at this stage you're struggling to the extent that you clearly are, then why isn't your educator supporting you in reaching an acceptable working standard rather than offering additional training at additional cost?

Like Gigi says, all you need is to be shown and for someone to watch your work - so why hasn't your educator made the same kind of offer which Gigi has?

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here kinkyboots but I'm afraid I really don't get it.

PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT (quote frm my e/a) :lol: my practice aint so hot :grr: I was hoping to be at a half decent level by now as well but i must be doing something totally wrong??? I will need to start saving the pennies for 121. Thanks for the support Floss. How are you getting on?

PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT (quote frm my e/a) :lol: my practice aint so hot :grr: I was hoping to be at a half decent level by now as well but i must be doing something totally wrong??? I will need to start saving the pennies for 121. Thanks for the support Floss. How are you getting on?

Not great with enhancements - especially Brisa - but I'll save that for a whole new thread lol.:biggrin:

Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding about CND Complete was that you'd be taught to a level whereby you'd have adequate skill levels to be able to get out there and start earning, once you successfully completed the course. If you are struggling to the extent you clearly are, then I really think the onus should be on your EA to do what she can to try and rectify the situation. Otherwise, what's the point of paying a premium price for the training? :confused:

Not great with enhancements - especially Brisa - but I'll save that for a whole new thread lol.:biggrin:

Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding about CND Complete was that you'd be taught to a level whereby you'd have adequate skill levels to be able to get out there and start earning, once you successfully completed the course. If you are struggling to the extent you clearly are, then I really think the onus should be on your EA to do what she can to try and rectify the situation. Otherwise, what's the point of paying a premium price for the training? :confused:

I agree with this. I thought one of the benefits of paying for premium training was ongoing support. Judging from your posts you've been struggling for a while now and really your educator should have offered you some support. It's a bit much after paying all that money that you have to come on a forum and ask to shadow a stranger. Nothing at all against you, I just think you should go back to your trainer and explain you really need some support here.
Fingers crossed you'll get this sorted soon x

Before there are allot of folks jumping in on this thread with comments about a possible lack of EA support, I would like to point out that Nichola has to my knowledge been given and will continue to be given support by her trainer in Glasgow.

Before there are allot of folks jumping in on this thread with comments about a possible lack of EA support, I would like to point out that Nichola has to my knowledge been given and will continue to be given support by her trainer in Glasgow.

Well if that's the case, then I'm sure she'll be more than happy to set the record straight. :)

Yeah, I thought i would have been able to at least create a set of nails that lasted more than a few days :rolleyes: I did let the girls at the centre know about the problems i was having but my only option is to have 121, I will book some after the year.. Thanks for the support guys. Iv had to take Brisa off the treatment list for now as im having to do free removals and shellac manicures to try and stop folk frm bad mouthing me :Scared:

Yeah, I thought i would have been able to at least create a set of nails that lasted more than a few days :rolleyes: I did let the girls at the centre know about the problems i was having but my only option is to have 121, I will book some after the year.. Thanks for the support guys. Iv had to take Brisa off the treatment list for now as im having to do free removals and shellac manicures to try and stop folk frm bad mouthing me :Scared:

On dear. Have they looked at your work since you finished the course? If not then you should ring them again and explain that you've even had to stop the treatments as you don't know where you're going wrong. They should really offer to see you just for an hour even and watch you do at least one nail and with their experienced eyes they'll probably know straight away where you're going wrong. In my opinion you shouldn't have to pay out yet again if they haven't even looked into the problems. When I started out in enhancements and hit a blip my trainer let me come into her salon and shadow her and we soon realised where I was going wrong, just by watching and learning. Ring them again and see what they say. X

Nichola, I hear your frustration and I understand it, but the reality is that it takes time to learn how to structure a gel nail correctly to suit each individual client and their individual life styles. You have to continue to work hard with these clients to correct the faults and you need to change some of the things you are doing to make their enhancements work for them.

The clients themselves also have to do their part in terms of both aftercare and how they treat the nails you have given them. When you are new, it is difficult to know if the problems are on your side or with your client, or a combination of both. Confidence then becomes an issue too.

We have all been through the time of dreading clients' phone calls saying they have broken or chipped their nails. All part of the learning curve; painful but part of the process. One day it will all click into place as it has for thousands of others. In the meantime, treat every issue as it comes along and learn from it. We all learn from experience and experience takes time. Give it the time it needs and the extra help is there if you need it.

I have taught thousands of technicians ... some have taken what they have learned and run with it all the way to the top, others have never 'got it'. I'm sure you are not one of the latter but some do take longer than others.

Latest posts

Back