Extension client, unsure how to proceed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
I went to do a consultation for a lady tonight who wanted shrinkies in her hair. Upon arrival she took down her hair and it was hanging in ropes, super matted at the tops and then extensions hanging off them between one and three inches down her hair. She seems to think they are ok and thought she would just need a few added in to top them up. I told her they all need to come out. I'm just unsure as to the best way to detangle the matting as I've never seen it this bad. They look like dreadlocks. I thought I'd ask the advice of you pro geeks as I'm still learning. :)

I went to do a consultation for a lady tonight who wanted shrinkies in her hair. Upon arrival she took down her hair and it was hanging in ropes, super matted at the tops and then extensions hanging off them between one and three inches down her hair. She seems to think they are ok and thought she would just need a few added in to top them up. I told her they all need to come out. I'm just unsure as to the best way to detangle the matting as I've never seen it this bad. They look like dreadlocks. I thought I'd ask the advice of you pro geeks as I'm still learning. :)

Argan oil I've seen on here some ppl soak it with Argan oil and tease it out that way xxx

Argan oil I've seen on here some ppl soak it with Argan oil and tease it out that way xxx

I'm a massive fan of this method! :) I've tried all sorts! I had a girl come to me who had her extensions done else where the bonds ended up like chewing gum (I think this was because she mistreated them and left them in for so long) the roots were soo matted she was told by others they would have to cut it out. I managed to get all the hair out but was stuck with this nest at her roots ALL over her head and stick with bits of residue in I couldn't get to. I sat for hours trying to get it out for her, used nearly half a bottle of detangling spray. I want back the next day to start again to try get it out and when rummaging through my bag saw my argon oil, now I have quite knotty hair anyway if I don't brush it like 3 times a day so I use argon oil (as its good for my hair) but also to make the brush go through my hair easier. And her knots started brushing out a lot easier. Fair does it was a big greasy mess afterwards but at least it wasn't a matted mess another hair extensionist/hair dresser told her she would have to have it cut out lol. Poor thing, it was awful! Lol :) I wish you too luck! Ha! Xxx

When clients hair is wet they need to always separate each bond from its partner above and sideways so that the roots do not tangle up. If the client does not do this they end up with matted roots.

Well done for managing to de-tangle the mess, must have taken ages:Scared:

Thanks geeks! When I go back to see her I'll try to get some before and after pictures.

I've just had to tell her that I can't do her hair. :( I got a text from her last night and she said she's thought about it and just wants a few more extensions added as a "top up". I said that I wouldn't feel comfortable adding anything to her hair and to protect her natural hair I think she needs to take them all out. She replied saying thanks for your honesty but I think that's the last I will hear from her. :S

It's probably a good thing you've turned her away in the long run anyway. She would have only been advertising "your work" as horrible hair anyway! And if she openly doesn't want to look after her hair there is no point you having her as a client!

Emily :) xx

It's probably a good thing you've turned her away in the long run anyway. She would have only been advertising "your work" as horrible hair anyway! And if she openly doesn't want to look after her hair there is no point you having her as a client!

Emily :) xx

Totally agree with Emily.

Latest posts

Back