Extensions not curling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxo

Reaction score
I fitted a full head micro rings 2-3weeks ago and they just won't hold curls.
Iv tried various ways of curling but still had no luck.
Always about an hour later the hair is straight.
I have never had this problem before and the client is now starting to get annoyed.
I have emailed the supplier who couldn't give me an answer and was going to contact the factory. I am yet to hear back.

Just after opinions and advice.
Any idea why they won't hold
Advice on curling
What I should do

Thanks x

Particularly heavy silicon coating causes this. I've never found a solution to this issue either.

Even after washing? Usually any coating is gone after a wash or 2 - Id be interested to hear what your outcome is, Ive never come across this.

I had this problem with my own hair from hair planet, I different products and shampoos etc. in the end I had to use goldwell twist around and a very hot babyliss curling iron, heat each curl for 15 secs and then pin it.

It did work and lasted, it was a bit more faf than I would like.

That's really strange. Ive never come across it:|

I am not a hair geek i am a beauty geek but i have clip real hair extensions i brought them to my hairdresser to get put in and styled as going to a wedding and they just wouldnt curl she had only come across this twice before and how she explained it was like there was a build up of product in the hair. Used a cleansing shampoo on them but to no avail. I hope you get sorted 😊 x

I don't think it's the hair not curling, it's the weight of the hair pulling the curl out. My hair was the same when super long!
Try curling the hair and pinning it to set it and let it cool totally. I even left mine in the pins for a few hours. Much better at keeping the curl x

have u tried to spray it first with product to help at all as I find I have to do this with mine x

She has washed the hair a quite a few times now but it's the same.
The hair isn't overly long, maybe 3-4 inches past shoulders. Her natural hair is shoulder length.

This is the second set I have done on her. Same hair, same method and same aftercare. First time the hair was perfect no issues what so ever.

Have tried pinning the curls and still the same result.

I really am at a dead end at the moment!x

I had a batch of hair once that wouldn't curl. Supplier couldn't explain what had been done differently during processing to cause this either. All I know is it was at a time I was squeezing the supplier for lower prices and always assumed they had sourced cheaper hair and processed it in a way to make it appear higher quality.... Never had any complaints from buyer about the quality, just that it wouldn't curl.

We now pay a lot more for our stock and the hair has a natural light wave when wet.

Totally guess work here but I would say from my experience that it's down to how the hair was processed and the company who sold the hair to you probably doesn't have a clue why this batch doesn't curl.

Maybe try washing the hair and setting it in rollers when damp, then under the dryer for 30minutes. Hope you get it sorted, what hair is it?

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

if the client is straightening the hair first then curling it then that's always a problem.

I have tried setting it and still no luck.
After the first time of her trying to curl it herself she has been coming to me to curl it to try and find something that works.

It is Indian hair, don't want to name company as Iv never had a problem with then before.

As you can imagine the client is getting very frustrated. And is asking for them to be removed and new hair fitted free of charge.
I can't afford to buy new hair for her.
What do you suggest I do?
She is a very good client and don't want to lose her x

Have you asked the company to exchange them? If your a regular customer they won't want to lose you over one bad batch of hair that won't curl x

I've found using a sulfate free shampoo helped me out with a few clients, and also using head and shoulders! Worked perfectly!

Head and shoulders strips the hair though? We also recommend sulphate free as it's so gentle on the hair and hardly lathers up (loreal ever pure seems the best on the high street) but also a shampoo that doesn't leave a film on the hair.

Head and shoulders can strip the colour out of the extensions as well as all the moisture.

I wouldnt recommend using anything that the manufacturer can hold against you so stick to the sulfate free, I would ask the supplier for an exchange and be firm. If this client is frequent and both of you cannot curl it as you normally would then theres surely something amiss.

I use retail products from options and always have done.
The supplie has asked me to send a few strands so will do that and hopefully they can give me a solution x

Head and shoulders strips the hair though? We also recommend sulphate free as it's so gentle on the hair and hardly lathers up (loreal ever pure seems the best on the high street) but also a shampoo that doesn't leave a film on the hair.

Head and shoulders can strip the colour out of the extensions as well as all the moisture.

That was my first realisation too, before trying too, i was very apprehensive to try it. I was told that tip and it worked, with no problems, hair was fine, colour was fine, so could not argue with results.

That was my first realisation too, before trying too, i was very apprehensive to try it. I was told that tip and it worked, with no problems, hair was fine, colour was fine, so could not argue with results.

So head and shoulders made the hair easier to curl?

Latest posts

Back