Eye problems when using L&P??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyDodds

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a nail tech for 8 years now, and in the last few months whilst working I have found my eyes stinging (to the point where I have to physically close my eyes to relieve the pain). It is occuring at least once, if not more, during each shift now, for example: today i've only worked for 4 hours after 3 days off and it's happened again. Even now, after an hour after finishing work they're still stinging.

I am short sighted and i have worn contact lenses for years whilst working, but for the last six months i have worn glasses for work. Could there be a link?

Please help!!

I guess it could be a number of things

My first thought is that your are working right above the nails? If you are leaning over the nails it could be the fumes going in your eyes, having the dappen dish too close you or wiping your brush on the paper towel?

Do you have any ventilation? x

I guess it could be a number of things

My first thought is that your are working right above the nails? If you are leaning over the nails it could be the fumes going in your eyes, having the dappen dish too close you or wiping your brush on the paper towel?

Do you have any ventilation? x

Hiya,

I do have ventilation - both an extractor fan for the room and a fuminator on my desk. I work with my dappen dish to the right of my workstation, and the only time i'm above any liquid is when i'm working on the fingernails themselves (which obviously i can't avoid!). I've never had these problems until recently - i'm bit worried this is the beginning of an allergic reaction:sad:

I have a friend who this happens too she had some sort of allergy to one particular make not to another xxx

I have a friend who this happens too she had some sort of allergy to one particular make not to another xxx

Thank you, do you know which make she had problems with? I don't want to stop using CND!

I would think it would be much more likely to be dust rather than vapours.

I would think it would be much more likely to be dust rather than vapours.

Thank you Geeg,

Now you've mentioned dust, my glasses are always covered in dust by the end of a session, regardless of the ventilation. Is there anything i can do?:?:

Thank you Geeg,

Now you've mentioned dust, my glasses are always covered in dust by the end of a session, regardless of the ventilation. Is there anything i can do?:?:

Well I don't know if you will like my answer, but the answer is, to make less dust.

Sculpt your nails as well as you can with your brush and aim to do the finished nail with your brush, and then you will not have to file much at all to finish.

Take the well out of any tips so you do not need to blend; or sculpt your nails.

I have dedicated my whole career to doing nails that required the absolute minimum of filing. Filing is boring as well as the fact that filing produces dust. Filing causes damage or at least a potential for damage! Do as little of it as possible. Filing causes repetetive strain injuries and CTS so don't do it if you don't have to.

Putting some Solar Oil on the nails BEFORE you file will keep the dust out of your breathing zone .. it is a very good tip.

You would have to make a horrendous amount of vapour in the air to ever have it affect your eyes whereas dust, that will not be fully cured remember, would very much afffect them. I would get some safety glasses that will wrap around your glasses if your eyes are really giving you pain like you describe ... this is a very bad sign and you should not fool around with the only 2 eyes you will ever have.

Well I don't know if you will like my answer, but the answer is, to make less dust.

Sculpt your nails as well as you can with your brush and aim to do the finished nail with your brush, and then you will not have to file much at all to finish.

Take the well out of any tips so you do not need to blend; or sculpt your nails.

I have dedicated my whole career to doing nails that required the absolute minimum of filing. Filing is boring as well as the fact that filing produces dust. Filing causes damage or at least a potential for damage! Do as little of it as possible. Filing causes repetetive strain injuries and CTS so don't do it if you don't have to.

Putting some Solar Oil on the nails BEFORE you file will keep the dust out of your breathing zone .. it is a very good tip.

You would have to make a horrendous amount of vapour in the air to ever have it affect your eyes whereas dust, that will not be fully cured remember, would very much afffect them. I would get some safety glasses that will wrap around your glasses if your eyes are really giving you pain like you describe ... this is a very bad sign and you should not fool around with the only 2 eyes you will ever have.

Thank you so much for your tips Geeg. I already sculpt so i don't have to file tips, and i use a white block where possible for filing the surface of nails. I will def give the oil a try before filing, anything that stops my eyes hurting the way they are, is worth a try! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back