Eyelash extensions on pregnant women

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless Tanning

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I did some eyelash extensions on a lady who has booked in for infills but in the meantime has found out she is pregnant, I'm ok to do infills, I think she is has just gone past three months.

Thanks for any advice

Jackie

I dont know what insurance say on this, however, I had a client that I lashed right up to the week before she gave birth, I cant think why we wouldnt be able to lash a pregnant lady, theyre not ill!!!!!!! Unless theres a very good reason not to (that I dont know about) I will still be lashing pregnant ladies, they need a bit of pampering before their world explodes into chaos :biggrin:

That probably doesnt help your question but just putting my two penneth in lol

No that's great, thanks for adding your two penneth in, it's all helpful.

I think I remember something being mentioned in my training about not doing lashes on pregnant women unless I imagined it!!!!

Thanks x

i am not a doctor so better not take this as real but, there is some kind of nerve that sits in the spine of a pregnant lady, or something like that i told you i am not quite sure, lol. anyway do not let them lay there for longer than an hour and try sitting them up slightly more than lying completely flat. also get them to fill out a form or even better get them to get a letter from their midwife or doctor to be on the safe side.
xx

If you are worried you could calm your insurance company and see what they say? I can't see any problem with lashing pregnant women, and have done so myself. They may find lying down uncomfortable but you can just find a way to work round that, though shouldn't really be a problem till later stages xx

It also depends on who you trained with. some comapnies train that you should not lash a pregnant lady. If you trained with a company that teaches this, you will not be insured should anything happen. I know Nouveau do not allow you to lash pregnant ladies. Phone your insurance comapany to make sure, and if you can proceed, get the client to sign a disclaimer. xx

I have trained with hydrotherm and its basically two warm cushions of water an the client can lay on them, ideal for pregnancy massages and clients with bad backs. My point is that they can lay on it for quite a while which could eliminate any problems for lash extensions. It's worth looking into if you want to offer the massages as well. Kinda like laying on a waterbed :)

The advice when I was training was that we COULD NOT lash pregnant ladies.

The reason given was that if the pregnancy had been fine up til then and then they developed a complication, they would put it down to having had lashes (although it wouldn't have been anything to do with this).

It does seem a bit extreme to me but that's the advice we were given.

I think I have read (on here somewhere) that if a pregnant lady has a reaction to having ee done the only medical treatment for a reaction is not suitable for them. I may be wrong but I am sure someone else will be along to advise.

As with everything - check with your particular insurance company though - if they say no - then its a no! xx

We got told patch test most definately everything you are going to use plus the amount of hormones may make them more sensitive however still possible as nothing is being absorbed. I do a lady who is expecting twins so lots of hormones going on, she has been fine, full test, consultation etc bed slightly raised at the top, explained they may not last as long as increased oil levels and possibly more shedding. Also once the babies have arrived and up to 4 months after we were told the lashes may not last. Hers have lasted as normal but everyone may be different, just extra cautious and vigilant. This is however just a personal opinion. :-D x

I'm nouveau trained and was told that if a pregnant woman has an allergic reaction she can't take the required medication, therefore meaning that a patch test is also unsuitable :rolleyes:

i am not a doctor so better not take this as real but, there is some kind of nerve that sits in the spine of a pregnant lady, or something like that i told you i am not quite sure, lol. anyway do not let them lay there for longer than an hour and try sitting them up slightly more than lying completely flat. also get them to fill out a form or even better get them to get a letter from their midwife or doctor to be on the safe side.
xx

Pregnant women shouldn't be laying flat on their back - it can compress the vena cava, which is on the right hand side of the body - this returns the blood supply to your heart. This can starve the baby of oxygen. You just need to make sure that their right side is propped up, or that the mother is in a semi-sitting position.

I agree, get her to get the all clear from her Dr.

If you are not sure ,dont do it
and if I am pregnant,I will not do the eyelash

Thanks Ladies, I will speak to her about getting all the clear from her Dodctor. This is only the infills that i am doing as she had the lashes done without knowing she was pregnant.

I think if i kept sitting her up that will help but only hope to be around an hour.

Whenever in doubt encourage the client to consult with their physician about everything!

However, I work on pregnant women all the time and to my observation it has been a concern whether or not they can endure the length of application time of lying still on their back for at least an hour.
Also, if they are aware of any sensitivities that could be agitated by the glue that a stylist may use.

My Solution

I opt in to use a product line that is proven to have little to no fumes in the glue when properly used and stored accordingly. I also provide a memory foam pillow, extra padding on my massage table, a heating pad, and a bolster to prop their legs up with for extraordinary comfort and relief on all of my clients lower extremities.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back