Eyelash tinting consistency-advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy64

Reaction score
Hi...I wonder if any of you lovely people can give me some advice...:)

When I'm tinting lashes I find it really difficult to get the dye to cling onto the lashes...I find the thick consistency difficult to work with, especially for lower lashes which I apply to first. I don't find the top lashes too hard but where am I going wrong? The clients I have tinted are pleased but I would like to see those bottom lashes more! Any hints very gratefully recieved as I'm fairly new to this :hug:

Hi Tammy

When i tint the lashes i do the bottom first with the clients eyes open then get them to close their eyes and do the top. this is the only way i found to get a good colour finish, especially the little fine ones in the corner. :)

Hope this helps

what kind of brush do u apply it with as i find the disposable mascara wands hard but the little mini brushes a lot easier x

I wasnt shown to do the botto lashes, is it not dangerous incase the product gets into the eye?? x

Hi

I use a small tinting brush that came with the kit or a cotton bud does the same trick.
Have a steady hand and do not overload the brush or bud as soon as applied get client to close their eyes and carry on as you would normally doing the the top ones.
I tint my own lashes in this way only I keep my eyes open when doing top and bottom but u know what they say practice makes perfect. ( try it on a friend or family member first to get your confidence)

Thank you for your advice. :hug:
I am using a tiny brish that came with the kit. I had a client yesterday and all went well. I think I just need to get used to the consistency- it's fine when I'm pressing down onto the protector it's just when I'm trying to apply to lower lashes and being extra careful not to get in the eye. Pracice makes perfect I guess :)

There is no need to have the clients eyes open for the bottom lashes. This seems a little risky.

Apply the wet cotton pads with vasaline on the underside or tint protector pads under the lower lashes, making sure all lashes are ontop of the pad. Then make sure the tint mix is still quite thick, next start at the ends of the lashes and apply up to the roots, taking it closer and closer to the lash line, stroking down away from the eyelid. Use a medium stiff brush with a thin edge. Push the lash tint down towards the pad with every stroke. :hug:

After all the prep with the petroleum jelly and cotton pads, I mix the tint, ask the client to close their eyes and instead of putting the tint on top of the eyelashes I scoop the tint on my brush and apply under the lashes, when their is plenty of tint underneath I press the lashes on top of the tint and make sure the tint is then covering the top of the lashes. The outcome should be beautifully tinted lashes on lower lashes, under and on top of upper lashes and always use a tinting brush so you can get right up to the roots of the lashes. This should solve all tinting mishaps and hope this helps.:)

There is no need to have the clients eyes open for the bottom lashes. This seems a little risky.

Apply the wet cotton pads with vasaline on the underside or tint protector pads under the lower lashes, making sure all lashes are ontop of the pad. Then make sure the tint mix is still quite thick, next start at the ends of the lashes and apply up to the roots, taking it closer and closer to the lash line, stroking down away from the eyelid. Use a medium stiff brush with a thin edge. Push the lash tint down towards the pad with every stroke. :hug:

This is excatly how I do mine too except I use an orangewood stick to mix & apply the tint.
I have had my lashes tinted by someone else with the eyes open tinting the bottom first & I really didnt like it, give this way a go - its better for both! x:hug:x

Thank you again for great advice :hug:

Thinking about it, the brush I have is incredibly soft so maybe I need a slightly stiffer one. I'll give it a go doing just top lashes as well. :)

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who when I've been really careful placing vaseline onto skin under bottom lashes and onto the cotton pad to avoid staining... finds that no matter how clean my cotton bud stick is after cleansing the eye following tinting that, if using blue-black tint, there is a faint purplish line close to the bottom lash line. I feel it makes the clients look like they have rubbed their mascara or slept with it on. As I said, it is only faint, but I'm never really happy and can't find a way to avoid. Any tips most helpful please. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who when I've been really careful placing vaseline onto skin under bottom lashes and onto the cotton pad to avoid staining... finds that no matter how clean my cotton bud stick is after cleansing the eye following tinting that, if using blue-black tint, there is a faint purplish line close to the bottom lash line. I feel it makes the clients look like they have rubbed their mascara or slept with it on. As I said, it is only faint, but I'm never really happy and can't find a way to avoid. Any tips most helpful please. Thanks.

I'm tinting now and am having the same problem. I am now totally paranoid about my clients looking like Alice Cooper! How do you avoid staining the skin just under the bottom lashes?

I'm tinting now and am having the same problem. I am now totally paranoid about my clients looking like Alice Cooper! How do you avoid staining the skin just under the bottom lashes?

I put vasceline on a cotton bud and swipe under the bottom lashes (making sure not to touch the lashes) then put the cotton pads (cut in half with vasceline on) right up under the bottom lashes, Iv never had a problem doing it this way, the only time I had a slight purpleish tint was when I forgot to clean the eyelid area, but actually it looked gorgeous and looked like she had eyeliner on :eek:

This is excatly how I do mine too except I use an orangewood stick to mix & apply the tint.
I have had my lashes tinted by someone else with the eyes open tinting the bottom first & I really didnt like it, give this way a go - its better for both! x:hug:x

Me too and i too use an orange stick with a slanted end.I find you can push the tint into the lashes which gets it to the bottom ones and having something stiff makes you have more control.I do use a small makeup brush for tinting eyebrows though.

yes i have the same problem with blue-black tint, again any tips most helpful please, thank you:)

omg, do clients also expect the bottom lashes to be tinted too? ive literally just done my training in tinting in anticipation of doing my my ele training and wasnt shown how to do the bottom lashes, i did wonder why not then just assumed was the same as having ele, people generally just have top lashes done .. is this going to be a problem? would like to offer as a stand alone treatment also, but not if the client thinks ive only done half a job!

omg, do clients also expect the bottom lashes to be tinted too? ive literally just done my training in tinting in anticipation of doing my my ele training and wasnt shown how to do the bottom lashes, i did wonder why not then just assumed was the same as having ele, people generally just have top lashes done .. is this going to be a problem? would like to offer as a stand alone treatment also, but not if the client thinks ive only done half a job!

well iv always had a client wanting there bottom lashes doing, i was also told that alot of people dont wear mascara on there bottom lashes too, but iv never met a client who doesnt wear mascara on bottom lashes yet?? ... x

I personally do tint bottom lashes first...i dont get too close to the eye and my clients think its great that i take that extra time to make sure each lash is covered..you dont need a lot for the bottom as majority of the tint from the top lashes will go through..but i like to be sure and my clients like this. I also use a small brush when applying tint :) xx

instead of using a cotton bud to put vaseline under the bottom lashes, use a fine brush so that you get up to the lash line and therefore the stain wont seep through

Oh my days I have had a massive beauty malfunction this morning :sad: I tinted a client's eyelashes but when I wiped away the tint it had all stained underneath her eyes!! she looked like alice cooper and it took me ages to remove a lot of the stain, I felt awful and it's really knocked my confidence. She didn't look too bad when she left but it's been on my mind all day and now i'm worried doing anymore. I think I should have put vaseline on the pads I just put it on the skin under the eyes but I use those thin pads and maybe that was my problem?? I hasn't happened before :sad: any tips??

Latest posts

Back