Facebook-why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockateer

Reaction score
guys maybe im missing something but whats to benefit from having ppl like you on Facebook???
Surely once they add you thats it????
Whats to be gained?
I am considering starting one, but my go theres so much to do as it, without spending more time updating a profile?
Do yee find many new clients add you and use your services as a result or is itsimoly getting your name out there????
HELP

guys maybe im missing something but whats to benefit from having ppl like you on Facebook???
Surely once they add you thats it????
Whats to be gained?
I am considering starting one, but my go theres so much to do as it, without spending more time updating a profile?
Do yee find many new clients add you and use your services as a result or is itsimoly getting your name out there????
HELP

From everything I have seen about starting a facebook group is that you can contact your target audience at the touch of a button!
Facebook is such a powerfull tool as people check it all the time....
Its not just on their home pc, they check it at work and now more than ever before on their phones!!!
I must admist (blush) that I too do this!!!

If you create a facebook group you can update the page's status with anything from new offers to news of new products and services!
YOu can also run Facebook only offers as an incentive to get people to join it!
I have updated mine recently when I have had some quieter times and have managed to fill them as a result of people checking and seeing what i'd put!

Its a fantastic medium to work with and afterall.... its FREE!
Simple enough to set up and have your target audience at your fingertip!

Im sure you too will be glad that you set one up!!

Yes, I've resisted and resisted, I really don't care what people had for breakfast afterall, BUT I can finally see the potential for maintaining a professional page/profile, especially in the way cockyboy says, for marketing.

I wouldn't send a newsletter out more than once a month max but I would definitely think it's okay to post via facebook quite frequently if I'd had a cancellation or just wanted to generate a few additional clients one day. It's an acceptable medium with which to do that. Calling/texting/newsletters etc every few days would be harrassment, but via facebook it's okay.

As mentioned, it's free and it's at the click of a button. At least that's what they're all telling me. I'm intending to sit down and get my luddite head around it over Xmas.

In the meantime I'd love to hear how current users find it and if there are any tips/tricks that we should be aware of.

I've only just started up my business and haven't really started advertising properly yet but I did make a facebook page and I think its great!

Initially I just invited my friends to join, then they recommended their friends and so on. I post special offers and pictures of my work and I'd say I've had about 10 new clients book in the last couple of weeks just through finding me on my facebook page (which then links to my website).

Definitely worth a try :)

Yup deffo worth a try - I have just started a FB page for business as Im fairly new, and have gained 3 bookings and sold £45 worth of vouchers in the last 2 weeks - so a good start!

Initially I invited all my friends who I thought might be interested and have asked them if they can invite friends etc. At the moment I only have 32 join (like) the group, but its only been going for about 2-3 weeks so very early days yet.. I advertise Salon and Mobile offers on it and recently advertised the gift vouchers.

It is for business only though - so no status updates saying - 'had to defrost the car today!' or 'ooh im going shopping'

That's how I am using my page anyway.

That's really encouraging; thanks! I'll definitely get that done over the hols.

ok guys, that all sounds very promising, one question though.....( i have a personal one) and when i go to Home page- it only shows me some ppls new status' etc, am unsure how people check a business page regularly-maye im not using FB properly, is there a business section etc or is it up to the client to go into their "Like" section and see what ye are up to?
Sorry for the ignorance????
Just not sure i get how ppl will see my competitions etc as u say-the marketing side of it
and no, hahahi wont e writing defrosting the car etc , gas!!

It will show up on their homepage if they like you so don't worry about that. I update mine daily, have a look and you'll see what slant I take, mine is smooth medical.

Happy christmas and new year
x

I might be alone in this way of thinking but I see Facebook in terms of business use as a bit chavy/desperate. Plus people could post negative things about your business for the whole world to see. As I said it might just be me with this train of thought.

Merry Christmas to Everyone

I might be alone in this way of thinking but I see Facebook in terms of business use as a bit chavy/desperate. Plus people could post negative things about your business for the whole world to see. As I said it might just be me with this train of thought.

I think it might just be you yes :lol:. Social networking is the future and a must for businesses, certainly don't put all your time into it as you need to run your business too. A daily update will take 30 seconds.

If you don't have a personal account then maybe that is why you are against it? You have control over who can post and you'd have to be a bad therapist to have negative comments said about you and you could see who wrote it in the first place!

I can honestly say that having just started a home/mobile business, having a facebook page is brilliant! I only use it for business updates, and is a great way to let people know about new products, offers etc.
Welcome to Facebook
As for leaving negative feedback, you can get rid of it! I also run competitions which I have found just keeps peoples interest rather than thinking I'm trying to sell them something all the time! I also have a personal profile and do keep the two very separate.
So easy to maintain and reach people quickly!

on their homepage, yes i think i understand-its nder the "likes" on their individual wall page, is that correct, thats my point though, a person has to search through my likes (personal) to see my likes, business ive decided tofollow so its HARD to find ppl?
Sporry to go on, this is what im asking, I totally understand the competitions, accessing so mnay people you usually would not etc however i fail to see facebook novice/ignorance- to see how HOW new customers actually come across you.....

Merry christmas right back at yeeeee

I suggested the page to all my friends on facebook first and asked them to help me by joining (liking) my page I then asked if they could 'suggest' the page to their friends too. They can do this by first clicking the LIKE button and then under your profile photo there is a 'suggest to friends' link they can click and then suggest to friends etc.

I also sometimes click the SHARE button - thats on the left hand side right at the bottom of the page, this reminds friends that its there as they will see it in the updates of your profile.

good luck with getting people to join your facebook x

I can honestly say that having just started a home/mobile business, having a facebook page is brilliant! I only use it for business updates, and is a great way to let people know about new products, offers etc.
Welcome to Facebook
As for leaving negative feedback, you can get rid of it! I also run competitions which I have found just keeps peoples interest rather than thinking I'm trying to sell them something all the time! I also have a personal profile and do keep the two very separate.
So easy to maintain and reach people quickly!

how do you add the tabs, like special offers etc, ive got a page but havnt updated it for ages cos found it was boring, but i need to vamp it up.
dont know how to add a link to mine, but you can find it if you search, beautybox-mobile beautician.

Hi Tina
To add tabs you need to get the facebook application FBML (think if you search for how to add tabs in the help section it has a link to it?) then you are able to add the tabs...however when you just type it comes out as continuous text. My son is a bit of a whizz on the computer and used basic programming language to do it. I'd be happy to tell you how to get a new line etc if you need help there. :hug:
Just a thought but when people 'land' on your page it is on info, maybe you could make them land on your wall instead as there is more there and in my experience it is the first page people tend to look at and many don't bother looking at the others (perhaps thats just mine! :lol:)
Let me know if you need help with the tabs...x

Are these the tabs at the top where it says info etc? You can just click the + button and choose what you want to add.

You can suggest others like your profile and search, you can do an advert also or just add a generic treatment name to your business page so when someone searches for say, spray tanning, you could potentially come up.

Thanks guys, sure tis free i may aswel try it......what harm?
So im best with a page i think so my updates come up on peoples home pages!
Thanks for the advice geeks
Happy new year
xx

I am qualified and work in marketing. I am studying beauty in the hope that it will give me more strength against other candidates in the field of beauty marketing, should I find the right job. In the meantime I am willing to take on any freelance work if anyone needs any help :).

As for the above quote..I have come across this worry about facebook before and t has been found that sometimes a negative comment in this way is not always a negative and can sometimes be a positive.

There are a few reasons for this and these are:

- Them posting on facebook gives you the chance to be able to give them a reply. For instance, if they complained about your salon being cold then you may reply saying you have done something about this such as getting a new heater, etc. Or, if you did some nail extensions and the customer complained they have come off, you could apologise openly and offer a free set, etc. These are just off the top of my head examples, but if other customers see this, they will see that you have great customer service and care. If they were saying this to their friends behind closed doors then you would have no idea and no option to reply to them. Even when you have replied via facebook, they may still tell their friends, but at least the complaint will end in a positive.

- A complaint can help other customers connect with you socially as it allows them to feel that you are real and therefore they may be willing to connect with you more on a social level.

The whole point of social networking is that it is 2 ways and real.

If you still feel that you would rather not have a facebook page because of this then you could actually disable the option for people to write on your wall.

Facebook is not chavy. Even the queen has a page :) Or her PR team do :). The language you use must represent your brand. It is not essential, but I would advise that you have a facebook strategy. Having a facebook strategy will help you know when to send out messages, etc. Enabling you not to not seem too desperate.

If anyone has any other marketing questions then don't hesitate to contact me.

I hope this helps.

Kerry

Last edited:
A facebook strategy??????? CAn i pick your brain.what does that involve exactly??? sorry!

Don't apologise. I am happy for you to pick my brain. It's basically a long term plan. Maybe of a year. So, you could sit down and plan the whole year. Obviously, things may and will change along the way. This is okay as you can adapt your plan. For instance, around Mothers Day you may wish to do a paid advertising campaign on facebook using facebook ads. At some point in the the year when you know it is going to be busy you may decide that you don't need to do ay advertising which involves discounts, but may still want to have a presence in a different way. You may decide that you want to ask your clients to fill out a questionnaire or may decided to have a open evening for which you can set up an event through facebook. Your plan could also include things like limiting the number of status updates you post about cancelled appointments, etc so not to damage your image.

I suppose it's about thinking long term, setting some facebook objectives in order to have a constant presence, rather than splurges of facebook content which some customers may see as spam.

Kerry

Latest posts

Back