Facebook-why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't apologise. I am happy for you to pick my brain. It's basically a long term plan. Maybe of a year. So, you could sit down and plan the whole year. Obviously, things may and will change along the way. This is okay as you can adapt your plan. For instance, around Mothers Day you may wish to do a paid advertising campaign on facebook using facebook ads. At some point in the the year when you know it is going to be busy you may decide that you don't need to do ay advertising which involves discounts, but may still want to have a presence in a different way. You may decide that you want to ask your clients to fill out a questionnaire or may decided to have a open evening for which you can set up an event through facebook. Your plan could also include things like limiting the number of status updates you post about cancelled appointments, etc so not to damage your image.

I suppose it's about thinking long term, setting some facebook objectives in order to have a constant presence, rather than splurges of facebook content which some customers may see as spam.

Kerry

You could change the ''cancelled appointment'' to only one appointment left for such and such a treatment on whatever day maybe?

You could change the ''cancelled appointment'' to only one appointment left for such and such a treatment on whatever day maybe?

Sorry, was just giving an example. That is completely true, you could say that, but also good to plan a maximum amout of times you will do this per week/month, so people don't get bored. Sorry to go on so much about a plan, plan crazy I am :D

plan cray is a woman after my own heart, but must admit never thought for one moment of the need to plana fcebok page a year in advance, month by month perhaps but wow thats organised!!!!!!!
I definitely see what you mean to limiting the status updates, do most people opt for that daily? is that a nuisance.....can peple send enewsletters va facebook?
Im getting excited now!!!!! any advice is always always welcome, ye have to learn !!!!!

plan cray is a woman after my own heart, but must admit never thought for one moment of the need to plana fcebok page a year in advance, month by month perhaps but wow thats organised!!!!!!!
I definitely see what you mean to limiting the status updates, do most people opt for that daily? is that a nuisance.....can peple send enewsletters va facebook?
Im getting excited now!!!!! any advice is always always welcome, ye have to learn !!!!!

I think if you're going to post on a regular or daily basis, you need to make sure all the updates are different & of some interest to your likers.

For instance, there's a mobile tanning tech not far from me that posts almost the same info every single day. Now that to me would get boring in the end & there is very little interaction with her likers/fans.

However, if you update with the things that your likers like, then they are more likey to take notice & interact on your wall. For eg, advice, competitions, giveaways, that kind of thing....

Ive had a thought....if its a LIKE page, then no1 can message you AND
other therapists can LIKE you and you wont know they are as your not their friend AND they can add your clients and pinch them!! :o

I had a group that was rubbish, i have a like page, now im considering a proper personal buiness page, just like my personal account, i can recieve messages and add only who i want ;)

Sorry, was just giving an example. That is completely true, you could say that, but also good to plan a maximum amout of times you will do this per week/month, so people don't get bored. Sorry to go on so much about a plan, plan crazy I am :D

No absolutely you are right, it was just something that I had seen on facebook you see and I thought it was genius. This is your area of expertise so any advice you give is greatly appreciated.

Did you get the e-mail I sent you?

Hi,

Hope you've had a good day.

Yes I have received your email. I will had a quick look at your website, but will take a longer look tomorrow. It does look like it would be a large project, but I am sure I can help in some way. Even if it is helping you come up with some ideas to help you form some new marketing objectives.

I will PM you by tomorrow.

Kerry

on their homepage, yes i think i understand-its nder the "likes" on their individual wall page, is that correct, thats my point though, a person has to search through my likes (personal) to see my likes, business ive decided tofollow so its HARD to find ppl?
Sporry to go on, this is what im asking, I totally understand the competitions, accessing so mnay people you usually would not etc however i fail to see facebook novice/ignorance- to see how HOW new customers actually come across you.....

Merry christmas right back at yeeeee

If you have a opened it as a business page and not a group when you update your status it will appear with everybody elses staus updates so on your homepage. As for getting new people to join the only way to do that is by suggesting to your friends and them to there friends and so.
Hope that is what you ment and that it makes sense.

x

Ive had a thought....if its a LIKE page, then no1 can message you AND
other therapists can LIKE you and you wont know they are as your not their friend AND they can add your clients and pinch them!! :o

I had a group that was rubbish, i have a like page, now im considering a proper personal buiness page, just like my personal account, i can recieve messages and add only who i want ;)

Surely if you're good at your job & your clients like you, this shouldn't even be an issue?

There are several disadvantages with having a profile page as your business page.

1. You can only have a maximum of 5000 friends. That may seem a lot now but thinking 2,3 4 years down the line when you've reached your limit, you'd have to start again with another page/profile
  2. You need to create another email address & log in/log out all the time to keep tabs of what's going on on your business profile. With a proper page you can just go straight to it & do your updates
  3. You can't actively sell anything on a profile page. Which means you can't do auctions, competitions, sweepstakes etc all the things that generate new likers & more bookings. All it takes is for somebody to report you to fb & you can get your page deleted!!
  4. A proper business page looks more professional
To address the issue of people not being able to message you, you can always put your email address or who to inbox on the info page.

I think that if you have someone on your page you don't want, you can always remove them. This however won't stop them from still going on your wall to have a nosy!

Isn't the whole point though of having a presence on facebook to get interest from potential new clients? Having an open wall so interested people can read what you're all about? How can they read your wall if you've set it to private & they can only read your info by becoming a friend? Wouldn't that just lose potential business?

I have a business page on FB and it's great. As a free way of reaching people I would never normally come in to contact with , you can't beat it! (Any free advertising in my book is good! lol). Yes competitors can see my info....but I can also see theirs :lick: (and some very good tips I've "borrowed" too!).

Considering the amount of time I spend on FB, I should probably know a few more ways to utilise some of the features, but for now it will certainly be a great tool to get my name, number, email and website circulated to the masses!

just going to ask -sorrrry !
Im sure ppl are gritting their teeth at my pure ignorance and asking the same q over and over
I think I get it now-JUST!!
Thanks guys!
-
Whats a business page?as opposed to the
LIKE or BECOME A FAN? page????
business pages you can sell is it?

so can i clarify
personal profile- no point to tweak this to a pusiness as you have alimit to the amount of friends and you cannot sell , may e reported to FB?

Group is this LIKE or BECOME A FAN?= The info written on the wall does not appear in the newsfeeds,MUST be emailed or checked by the individual client.

Page- allows the businesses status'to be fed to the clients wall( Is this a business page??)

thanks geeks!!!!!!!!

just going to ask -sorrrry !
Im sure ppl are gritting their teeth at my pure ignorance and asking the same q over and over
I think I get it now-JUST!!
Thanks guys!
-
Whats a business page?as opposed to the
LIKE or BECOME A FAN? page????
business pages you can sell is it?
A business page IS a like/fan page which you can sell from

so can i clarify
personal profile- no point to tweak this to a pusiness as you have alimit to the amount of friends and you cannot sell , may e reported to FB?
That is correct, although you can still do updates on your own personal page to encourage your friends to like your business page.

Group is this LIKE or BECOME A FAN?= The info written on the wall does not appear in the newsfeeds,MUST be emailed or checked by the individual client.
A group is where they have to JOIN you. If you write an update on the wall, it only shows up on the wall. For the other members to see it, they either need to go to the group OR you need to send all the members a message which goes to their email address.

Page- allows the businesses status'to be fed to the clients wall( Is this a business page??) This is correct

thanks geeks!!!!!!!!

We'll get you there in the end, lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

In point 4 you say reported and deleted, so you mean for me promoting a business on a personal page? for example my status being "£10 spray tans this friday" is that selling? that would get me in trouble?

The sweepstakes, competitions, auctions, what are these??

So far the only thing ive done is a facebook add at £8 and got one new member!! the names i dont recognise have never attended my salon.

I only have a small business so the max friend thing doesnt bother me or signing in and out with another email addy as id have to sign into my email account every day to check anyway if they wanted to email me.

Wish the business pages had a way of recieving messages.

Thanks for the info.

In point 4 you say reported and deleted, so you mean for me promoting a business on a personal page? for example my status being "£10 spray tans this friday" is that selling? that would get me in trouble?

The sweepstakes, competitions, auctions, what are these??

So far the only thing ive done is a facebook add at £8 and got one new member!! the names i dont recognise have never attended my salon.

I only have a small business so the max friend thing doesnt bother me or signing in and out with another email addy as id have to sign into my email account every day to check anyway if they wanted to email me.

Wish the business pages had a way of recieving messages.

I'm not sure off hand how far facebook takes the view on 'selling' on personal profiles. If it's the occasional mention then I should think that is ok but if you regularly run competitions or auctions then that's a different matter.

By competitions, auctions etc it's what a lot of page owners do to encorage more fans & more business.

Yes, it would be good if you could receive messages on a page but I get a lot of people just writing on my wall if they want to know anything. My name is mentioned on the wall as is my email address so if an individual has this info on their page, then people will still be able to contact them.

think im up to speed now thank you lots and lots!!!!!

Hi everyone! I've finally joined in after being a "reader" for several months now! Re the facebook thing - I set up my business facebook page about 5/6 months ago and it really is brilliant! I did the same as Tammy and suggested my page to my "personal" friends and asked them to "suggest" me to their friends - I think networking is the answer! I've got 156 "followers" now and I post at least once a week - it may be just a simple "its cold outside but oh so warm and cosy in the Spa Angels studio...." etc but it keeps you in people's minds. I don't think its an intrusive way of communicating at all. I'm just a little business but I've been having a peep at some local businesses and their fb pages and have come away with lots of ideas!! Happy New Year everyone and here's to a successful 2011!

Latest posts

Back