Facial hair after chemo and radiotherapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistixcabin

Reaction score
Hi,
Hoping someone will be able to help. My friend's mum has, in the last year, undergone chemo and radiotherapy for breast cancer and had a masectamy last month. She has now found that she has some very long facial hairs on her chin, but doesn't now the best way to remove them. She obviously doesn't want them to become any darker and thicker than they are already.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help

Judith

I would refer her to her doctor to ask what she could have, maybe electrolysis, but i would definately get a letter confirming anything before going ahead.

HTH x

Hi Kooky

I wouldn't be doing any treatment, as I'm not trained in hair removal yet - doing a sugaring course in June. My friend asked me because of my interest in this kind of thing, so I told her about this site and asked if I could post to see what would be the best thing to do.

Thanks

Judith

As mentioned electrolysis would be a good treatment for theses hairs or waxing initially,until things "settle down",it's crucial that a Dr's letter be shown as her treatment may be a contra-indication to any hair removal treatments.

The drugs she is taking may cause the skin to thin and this in itself could cause problems for hair removal.If this is the case then hair bleaching could be an option.It's not a perfect long term solution but it could be a short term solution.
Have a look at this link Chemotherapy Side Effects - Hairloss and Chemotherapy.. Usually people lose their hair but we are all different.HTH

Maybe just for now, as shes probably had enough at the mo she would be better to cut them close to the skin.They may go on their own when things have settled. Obviously with treatment and stress her hormones are all over the place.
Also cutting will not make them worse It blunts them so they may start to feel prickly but if she keeps them cut very close that shouldn't be too much of a problem.Cutting also wont make any difference to having electrolysis at a later date.

Thank you for your replies.

Babs - she did loose all her hair and the hair on her head has still to start growing back, it, just the one's on her chin that are growing with avengence, which on reading Gillians post could be her hormones.

Thank you for your help, I will tell her it's ok to cut then and suggest she see's her gp about electrolosis if it doesn't settle down.

Thank you

Judith

From memory I am pretty sure that cancer is a 'true contra-indication' for electrolysis, i.e. shouldn't be done even with a doctors note

The hair growth is probably a side effect of the treatment and will settle down when treatment is finished

Latest posts

Back