Fact or fiction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessNails

Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some nail facts for my website and have compiled this list. Can you please have a look and let me know if anything is not actually scientifically correct?

Nail Facts
- men's nails grow faster than women's nails
- fingernails grow faster than toenails
- nails grow faster in summer than winter
- nails grow approx 1cm per 100 days
- nails and hair are both made up of the same protein; keratin
- cuticle is non living tissue
- the slowest growing nail is the middle finger, fastest thumb
- nails don't breathe, therefore if cared for correctly don't need a "break" from acrylic enhancements
- typing on a PC can stimulate nail growth

Hi guys. I need some nail facts for my website and have compiled this list. Can you please have a look and let me know if anything is not actually scientifically correct?

Nail Facts
- men's nails grow faster than women's nails I'm not certain that this is accurate
- fingernails grow faster than toenails
- nails grow faster in summer than winter
- nails grow approx 1cm per 100 days
- nails and hair are both made up of the same protein; keratin
- cuticle is non living tissue
- the slowest growing nail is the middle finger, fastest thumb Actually this is not correct ... Your longest finger grows the fastest and your shortest finger grows the slowest
- nails don't breathe, therefore if cared for correctly don't need a "break" from acrylic enhancements
- typing on a PC can stimulate nail growth. So Can playing the piano but it is a very short term period of growth and really not noticeable

If you look here on the site, there are many nail myths and fables listed in the member articles section of the site listed on the forums page.

Last edited:
Great thanks x

I thinks men nails grow faster than females, i cut my nails every week and my wife does it once a month!:cry: feels like, but no clinical trials done to prove it!

:lol: I think they grow relatively the same rate depending on the person's health. I clip my husband's every week but mine every month, but that's only cuz I like to wear my nails long. If I wore mine short like his, I'd probably need to clip them every week as well. That's kinda like when people say men's hair grow faster than female's hair. It's not true. I shaved my head bald once and it grew the same rate as my brothers.

Last edited:
Nails wear down as we use them (a bit like a pencil)

Sometimes it feels like our nails never grow, but that's not the case, it's just the more we do, the more the nails will wear down... stands to reason that it seems like Men's grow faster than Women's... we work so much harder than they do! :lol:

Sometimes it feels like our nails never grow, but that's not the case, it's just the more we do, the more the nails will wear down... stands to reason that it seems like Men's grow faster than Women's... we work so much harder than they do! :lol:

You know i have to reply to that!!! LOL :)))

now now ladies, lets not start a battle of the sexes over nails x

To be honest, as a Massage Therapist my nails grow like weeds I'm not kidding. I have almost 3/32 inch free edge every week. In two weeks i actually have claws!! haha My hands are in oil all the time and in constant heavy use. They are very tough as well, prolly the oil?

now now ladies, lets not start a battle of the sexes over nails x

EEeeek!!! I was wondering how long it would take one of the fellas to reply to that!

*runs for cover and hides* ;)

Latest posts

Back