Fading lowlights in Blonde hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all

I hope someone can help me.

My friend is naturally a base 5 and has been highlighting her hair for some time so is very blonde. she wants some brown highlights through to break it up and make her roots less noticable. Everytime i do this, it washes out of the ends within a few washes so he roots end up looking bad pretty quickly.

How can i make this stay on the ends? iv been using L'oreal majirel 6.3 :(

What % are you mixing it with? Maybe add a smige of 5/0

Have you been pre pigmenting the bleached hair before colouring over the top?

Iv been using 6%....Would 3% be better?

Iv tried using Indola red colour mousse to pre pig first but its quite hard to do when weavinf the hair etc and it didnt work that well. I'm pretty new to all this so maybe theres an alternative way i could pre pig?

Iv also tried getting hold of Goldwell lowlights 6-7 warm as it says thats what its deisgned for but havent tried it yet.... its on order.

Someone told me that a semi is better to use?

You do need to re pig otherwise this will keep happening. I use a Rusk Semi in a red base first and dry it in the I would use 3% with target shade. I have done this alot and it works for me!

defo use a lower percent, possibly even just use a quazi colour. . no need to tint when hair is this light, the ends will be very porous so high % is jus overkill. . .

so u need to use 6% on the roots to lift slightly from a 5, then colour match up a quassi for lengths and ends, her hair is obviously very porous so even 3% may be too much! hth x

Defintely use 3%, no need for 6% when darkening hun. As it's not just a flat brown you are using i wouldn't pre-pig, i have never done this when using a brown that contains a gold undertone, and also - it will be a royal pain in the backside having to do this when weaving foils! I would explain to her that you may need to add a smidge of a warmer brown to the dark so it doesn't go ashy, good luck! xx

Goldwell's Colorance range do a really good product called Lowlights, which you mix with an activator called CoverPlus (which I think is 2%), there are 4 cans depending on what depth and tone you want, I think they are 5/6 Natural, 7/8 Natural, 5/6 Warm 7/8 Warm, they add as I said depth and tone with no need to pre-pig. They are not suitable on all blondes, but when they are suitable they are great and do no damage with very little fade.

Might be worth a try. x

I thought the colourance is a quasi (acid) colour and it has it's own developer

Yes, Colorance is a quasi colour, the activator is one of three Colorance developers - one for regular Colorance, one for grey cover and the lowlights, and one for toning but they do have peroxide in, I think between 2-4% depending on what type of coverage you want. We started to used it earlier this year when Colorance was revamped.

I am not in the salon at the moment so do not have my Goldwell course book with me, I will check when I go in tomorrow to see if I have remembered this all correctly.

You need to fill the hair first. Do slices instead of weaves, they'll be easier to refoil, and if you do them thin enough and not on the part line, they won't look too streaky. Fill the hair with a demi permanent color like redken shades eq, with a red or golden as the base color. after that has processed put your brown color on. the color you fill with should be about 1 level lighter then your end target level. thats my suggestion anyway. hope ya figure it out! good luck.

thanks everyone for all your help. i'm gonna try all of the things you've suggested. its great to learn a few different ways. :)

Latest posts

Back