Father pinning down child to have hair cut

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
Was in a house the other day, nice folks. Did Mum and little girl and they asked if I would try and tidy up the back of 1.5 yr olds as Dad had a go at the razor and it was a bit taily. Sure no prob but he goes mad if anyone tries to go near his hair the Mum said. So I tried to make friends a bit first and gave him some bits from my bag to see. He was on Dads knee and we were getting on fine. Then I asked Dad to turn him over to other side. At this stage wee fella started to get a bit cranky. I was happy to try and humour him but Dad stared holding him and pushing his head down and just said (nicely) to keep going. The child was bawling:Scared: I said sorry but I cannot do this when wee chap was so upset, I knew he would have been ok if given a bit of time and approached in the right way. Anyway...what do you all do in this case ? Keep cutting or stop?
I didn't charge for him at all and said to the Mum on way out that he was probably afraid and didn't understand what was going on. I hate the way kids are treated like second class citizens sometimes.

Iv got a kid iv been cutting for the past year l. He's only 18months now, every 8 wks we have a repeat performance of both his parents holding him down to the floor whilst screaming and crying! We have tried all sorts with him. Past few appointments he's started kicking of as soon as he sees me walking threw the door!! You should charge for the cut even.if you don't complete it you could be spending half an hrs trying to!! Its still you time

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

My son used to be like this when I had him on my knee so decided to put him in his booster high chair with the tray on, my friend gave him the clipper attachments to hold to distract him a bit & she found it a lot easier now at 3 he's really good, the booster seats fold down so it's something you could have at hand

If a child throws a paddy before I have even started I won't do it.

Its hard with a boys haircut, with a girl you can grab and cut( if you know what I mean, lol) I take lollies as a 'prize' for sitting still but sometimes even then its just not going to work, and if the parent seems insistent, just say that you're worried you might end up cutting the child or yourself if they jerk about suddenly.
I have children and I know that sometimes you do just have to hold them even when they are squealing, to take medicine or have injections. Its not that the parents are treating them badly - sometimes there is no way to sweet talk them out of a tantrum and generally most parents will know of any bribes etc that will help them to calm.
If there is a way that the parent can hold them so you can for example trim the back off or each side I get in there and work fast, don't worry too much about accuracy unless they calm down but make sure the parent is aware of this and doesn't slag you off for a naff haircut:Scared:
I know a lot of hairdressers won't cut childrens hair, but someones got to and I quite like the challenge! I've developed a special loud bouncy distract the children voice that sometimes works.

If a child is that upset I wont do it . I always ask the parents to take them out for a walk . There is no way you can possibly get a good cut when a child is in a headlock . I always cut round the ears and into the hairline right at the start , that way if thats all you get done, at least they walk out looking better than when they came in , and its a convienient place to stop if they are having a paddy or getting to figetty.

Latest posts

Back