Feeding my baby

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouiseElisa

Reaction score
I gave birth to my little Harry on the 9th jan so he is just over 2 weeks old.
I have been breastfeeding him and getting on fine with it but scared to leave the house in case he wants feeding somewhere public and I can't find anywhere private!

For example lunch with my friends tomorrow! So decided I want to bottle feed him expressed milk during the day and breastfeed through the night as really dont want to give up breast feeding completely!

So my question is... How much milk should I express per bottle?
And do they need to be seperate bottles for each feed or can he go back to his last bottle if he didn't have alot? (He is a snacker)

Thanks in advance xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Its not actually that easy to express, so you might just have to give him whatever you can get, or you might just have to bite the bullet and feed him in public - a shawl can hide most things, and it's guaranteed peace and quiet! If you want to continue breast feeding, when you express, try and keep him close as this can stimulate supply, but a lot of babies won't take a bottle from their mother - they know what else you have to offer, but might take it from dad/friend etc. Please feel free to personal message me if you need more info - I'm a breast feeding counsellor as well as everything else lol! Hope that helps!

I have been expressing milk and pouring it away just to ease myself as they can feel like they are going to explode!
I use a shawl at home but I don't want to breastfeed in resteraunts or anything so will be much easier to bottle feed, I also want his dad to be able to enjoy feeding time.
The fact he might not take a bottle from me made me laugh that might be a problem- He is so cheeky!
Thank you for your help!
x

My advice would be to have a go at feeding out and about. It CAN be done discretely. I have feed all 3 of mine myself in all sorts of places, restaurants included. Once you do it once it gets a lot easier. Seriously no one notices or cares! I have never had anyone ask me not to or be negative. In fact the total opposite!

My only worry would be 2 weeks is a little soon to introduce a bottle feed. He might start getting fussy. None of mine would ever take a bottle from me unless I was out the house!

Best of luck whatever you decide!

He can't go back to the same bottle if its more than an hour old max , bacteria builds up,

And breast fed babies don't take as much as bottle fed babies, you could try a 3oz bottle to start with, he may need winded more often though,

Alot of places have separate feeding areas now like large shopping centres have sofas beside baby change, not like in the toilets

It can be done discreetly but I was like you and would never dream of feeding in view of public, I know it's the most natural thing in the world but still not for me, my 3 girls were bottle fed,

Well done for deciding to breast feed its such an amazing thing to do. Part of the joy of breast feeding is not having to mess around with bottles etc you can feed wherever and whenever. My eldest was 6 weeks before I had the courage to feed him in public but I went the whole hog in a restaurant as my dinner was being served so we ate together :) My advice to you would be to find a breast feeding support group or some other mummies who are b/feeding and go out for a coffee together & feed whilst you're with them. You won't feel so self conscious as there will be others there & it you'll be surprised how quickly your confidence will grow. Good luck x

Ah god love you, find a cafe nearby that's breastfeeding friendly to pop your outdoor feeding cherry! I've never had anyone notice me doing it, and I'm a six foot blonde with an 18 month old that still likes the occasional boob :D You can get great slings that allow you to feed mega discreetly. Best of luck with it X

If you have a Mothercare store in your town they have private changing/ feeding areas too xx

I breast fed all of mine. My little boy was 1 before I stopped ;) I just used to lop em out (discreetly). It's illegal to tell a woman she is not allowed to BF on your premises ;)
I would say do 4 oz bottles, if that's the way u want to go and don't throw out the stuff you have been instead freeze it!

Once you start messing about with breast feeding its often the beginning of the end because its all supply and demand.You can express but often the baby will find it easier to get the milk out of the bottle and start to refuse the breast.
You can feed your baby very discreetly with a shawl over the both of you,also most places will have somewhere you can go if you ask.I think maybe its early days for you to get used to the idea yourself so maybe don't be too ambitious about where you are going.If that's what you want to do then put all your efforts into it.

I breast fed 2 of my kids till one was 2 &half can't believe I did it for that long! you have to gage it on your baby cos they are all different the trouble is if you introduce bottles too early they get used to it and don't want the breast I personally would carry on with just the breast until baby is in a routine with feeds! good luck don't give up it gets easier and you and baby will have the closest bond ever! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

How about one if these :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359061723.793644.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1359061723.793644.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 123
Thank you all so much for your replies!
I really enjoy the bond with harry but can get in such a mess! I need a muslin and a towel and need to have one leg up supporting him until he latches...
I might just give him a bottle when im out properly.
That hat is hilarious! x

Thank you all so much for your replies!
I really enjoy the bond with harry but can get in such a mess! I need a muslin and a towel and need to have one leg up supporting him until he latches...
I might just give him a bottle when im out properly.
That hat is hilarious! x

Good luck with whatever you decide, I believe there is alot if pressure on new mums to breast feed and if you don't your doing something wrong,
Do whatever is best for you and baby Harry and dad,
I know what you mean about wanting dad to feed too,

What weight was he?

How about one if these :)

I have one of these! My sister got it for me however the " bobble " bit is pink and were expecting a blue one :) I love it though

Good luck with whatever you decide, I believe there is alot if pressure on new mums to breast feed and if you don't your doing something wrong,
Do whatever is best for you and baby Harry and dad,
I know what you mean about wanting dad to feed too,

What weight was he?

Well i mustbof spoke too soon as tried expressing tonight and had no luck!
He was 6lb12 x

Expressing is a funny thing, it's very psychological, when you don't need it it flows fine when you do......nothing! Even when you know there is loads there. Best time is after a bath or when you're really relaxed and having baby around :) good luck xx

Expressing is a funny thing, it's very psychological, when you don't need it it flows fine when you do......nothing! Even when you know there is loads there. Best time is after a bath or when you're really relaxed and having baby around :) good luck xx

Yep, the second you try to express NOTHING! Try to relax in the bath? Pours out if you!
I had an electric pump which worked great but I never expressed before 12 weeks as it takes at least that to establish feeding xx

I agree with blooming nails, once u feed once in public you realise not many people notice. If you wear a vest top under another top u can lift the top pull down vest top and ur covered up except for nipple for feeding. I found expressing ok but very hard for baby to take from mum when they would rather feed straight from the breast. What she is your baby? I would say take a couple if 3oz bottles if he's a snacker, mi e two were and I always put milk into 3 oz milk freezer bags. Xxxx

Latest posts

Back