Feel like giving up at times

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsRus

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks I just wanted reassurance that I'm not the only one who has felt like this.
I qualified 6 months ago in nails Ive been doing gels mobile now for a month and even though I've had great feedback and already have plenty of regulars there is a feeling inside me that wonders if I'm doing the right thing.
I did a women's nails last night she loved them this morning she text to say they were great then this afternoon she text to say one had chipped could I go back to repair I will of course; I did a ladys nails day before last she has just rang to say her little finger has lifted away grrrrr! These are my only complaints so far and I'm feeling a bit down.
Was just wondering if any of you geeks that have been doing nails for years if you still get the odd throw back and if you ever learn to accept it and not be so hard on yourself xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi fellow geeks I just wanted reassurance that I'm not the only one who has felt like this.
I qualified 6 months ago in nails Ive been doing gels mobile now for a month and even though I've had great feedback and already have plenty of regulars there is a feeling inside me that wonders if I'm doing the right thing.
I did a women's nails last night she loved them this morning she text to say they were great then this afternoon she text to say one had chipped could I go back to repair I will of course; I did a ladys nails day before last she has just rang to say her little finger has lifted away grrrrr! These are my only complaints so far and I'm feeling a bit down.
Was just wondering if any of you geeks that have been doing nails for years if you still get the odd throw back and if you ever learn to accept it and not be so hard on yourself xx

Yes you do learn to accept it and you must and that can take allot of time .. it's how to deal with it in the meantime that is important, and feeling useless and down and thinking for one minute that you are never going to have to listen to complaints is not the way to deal with client complaints. One of the reasons I would never work mobile is that there is no way I would step out of the door to do a free repair when I left the client with perfect nails but I know and am secure in my work.

Funny thing is .. when the onus is on the client to have to come to YOU in a salon situation, they have far fewer problems. I think that tells the whole story right there don't you?

Maybe you feel you must go back because you do not yet, with only 6 months under your belt, have the confidence in your work that will let you be firm with your clients. I can understand that .. it takes a few years to really know when a client is taking the mickey and to be able to politely let them know that. So now is a bit early to be expecting perfect results every time and to have the confidence you need. We all have to do the time!! All part of the learning curve and coming to maturity as a professional.

Everyone has felt 'useless' (if not they are not doing it right!).

You say you are mobile. I am a BIG believer that working in a salon is a VERY useful grounding for being mobile. There are few that make mobile work for them without this grounding

I qualified 6 months ago in nails I've been doing gels mobile now for a month and even though I've had great feedback and already have plenty of regulars there is a feeling inside me that wonders if I'm doing the right thing.

I'm mobile and new, just like you. I started doing nails on clients oct. 2012 and now i'm doing my CND Master Acrylics. I'm offering Shellac, both Brisa Lite gels and Brisa gel + Spa manicure, pedicure and Shellac & a large choice of nailart. I explain to clients that i do not work for free. I will always try to help them out as soon as possible for a repair if that is needed, but never for free! I know that my products are good, i know that i use my products as i was trained to, what happens to "my" nails when i leave their house is out of my hands ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for replys quick question do you still get the odd complaint even now? Xx

Thanks for replys quick question do you still get the odd complaint even now? Xx

Yes i do. I recieved a text message today from a client "Hi Conny, just to say that i've lost all of my nails. I think it's because of the work i do. So sad because they were so beautiful...:sad:"

I answered "I hope you have enjoyed them during your holiday?"

She replied" Yes i did, i recieved a lot of complements on them, thank you! When my work situation changes, i will be back"

This client had very short thin and weak natural nails. For work she's cleaning mobile homes and caravans that are rented out. She told me she cannot wear gloves and she's using a lot of harsh detergents on a daily basis.... she knew in advance it was not possible to get the maximum out of her manicure. But she went on holiday to Spain for 1 week and wanted longer, nice pink glitter nails....
I gave her the longer pink nails,and explaind why she really should wear gloves and use solar oil. The pinkie solar oil is my gift to every first time client, the gloves, well they must buy them theirselfs ;-)

One of the nicest things about being an old dinosaur technician, is that not many people would dare blame me for bad workmanship lol; they know they have to take ownership of the damage they cause because one thing is for certain ... they didn't leave the table with damaged nails. Once you get that into their heads at the first appointment, it is hard for them to came back at you. :D

I let every person know that if they damage a nail or they break a nail or if they chip their manicure, there will be a minimum 5.00 charge for any repair and it will cost them more if the repair takes longer than the ten minute allotted time.
notice I do not say ... If a nail is damaged, breaks or chips chips !! I always say if YOU damage break or chip a nail .... See the difference? They know from first appointment that I am not going to take responsibility for what they do to my work just by wording it differently. That is very important, how you word things. I also word it in exactly the same on my aftercare.

The worst thing you can do is to say to a client ... "If you have ANY problems,give me a call." And so many new ones say this!! It is so wrong. First it tells a client you expect a problem and second that they can just call and get it fixed. Learn from the dinosaur ladies ... Many of you bring these things upon yourself just by the way you say things. :Love:

If you only learn this one thing today, you will have learned something Hugely important for your business !

Last edited:
Thank you geeg very wise words I did smile to myself because Yes I have been saying any problems let me know lol you have made it all make sense so thank you your the best xx

Thank you geeg very wise words I did smile to myself because Yes I have been saying any problems let me know lol you have made it all make sense so thank you your the best xx

Sure you do and your mortive is a nice one ... so do thousands of others ... been listening to people make the same mistake for years. They think they are being helpful and accommodating but you must realise the real message they are giving to the clients by saying it like they do? THEY are the ones still doing free repairs, frightened of making a charge and resenting it and I am the one getting paid for it. lol

If your clients think you are soft they will take advantage of your mistake. That does not mean you have to be hard either. You are still offering the same help if THEY break, chip or peel a nail; they just know it will not be for free when you repair it. If it is in your after care, you will not have to actually say it (which is sometimes the difficult bit for the new ones).

I remember when I first started out with shellac one client kept returning with chipped nails. I was ready to throw in the towel! Instead, I came on here and read every piece of advice I could find. I also made a leaflet with aftercare details to hand out rather than just verbally tell people. I even made people sign the consultation form to say they'd read the aftercare!

Several years on I LOVE shellac (in your case gels) and have become well known for them where I live. Keep at it and take all the advice on here that you can - you'll be one of the ones offering advice before you know it!!

Latest posts

Back