Feel so sad please salon owner geeks help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpq

Reaction score
I'm probably going to sound like a miserable so and so but cant help it!
I'm not actually sure i can post this on here but I'm going to anyway.. sorry.

Ive been qualified for 5 years, was employed and working as a nail tech and teaching new staff within the salon, then went on to working for myself renting within another salon and mobile. Ive worked since i was 14 and am so hard working, Ive never accepted help from anyone and constantly do courses and check online to update my skills and be the best i can be, i have a large client following now thanks to this.

Ive always wanted my own shop and was finally in a position to do so, money and client wise.

I looked at a few properties and finally found the perfect one!
Found a solicitor and we contacted the landlord. basically the girl who had it left and opened up another salon with someone else but she needed to reassign the lease, its been empty for over a year but the lease is until 2014.

i was told id need to pay a quarter rent in advance and this was fine.
all of a sudden my solicitor told me they then have decided i need to pay an £8000 deposit or have the bank as a guarantor. The bank I'm with doesn't offer this service and £8000 is ridiculous money that there is no way I'm going to find that sort of money! (also more than my rent P.A!!!!!)

i said i couldn't do this and my solicitor agreed it was redic. we offered family members as guarentors, more than a quarter rent in advance, i even offered to pay the whole year in advance as rent but not a deposit (which would just sit there untouched and id have to pay rent on top of it) i offered character references, bank status reports, Ive pretty much offered LOADS.

they refused everything! my landlord decided to ask about a sublease. a little glimmer of hope came when they agreed but i would have to pay a months rent as a deposit - this i could do. i agreed and then it seemed fine but now they are asking that i pay part of THEIR legal fees!!! i said no and they have said that i have to or its not going ahead. then they said they now also want a family guarantor also..

Ive now offered more than one months rental deposit, a guarantor but no legal payment for them.. I'm waiting to see what they say.

basically its been a nightmare and Ive spent today in tears because i really feel at the end of my tether i just dont know what to do. if the place wasn't so perfect location and size -wise I'd walk away but i just dont know what else to do.

has anyone else experienced this or something like it and whats your advice?

The best thing to do is consult your lawyer and ask them if what they are asking is reasonable, I'd say be very careful they sound unpredictable and if this is what it's like now and you haven't even leased yet, imagine what they might be like once your in the property. If they are happy leaving the property empty then let them pay rent on an empty building. If I was you I would discuss terms and conditions with your lawyer and get them to put it to the landlord an tell them to take it or leave it.

It seems they are trying to protect their income, the previous owner left with the lease remaining and they have no income from it. The first offer was ridiculous, the sub lease seemed a bit more like it but the only thing you didn't like was paying their fees, if the salon is perfect for you and you had offered to pay a year of rent in advance or a smaller deposit why not ask how much their fees will be and say you will pay but put a cap on it.

If they just need to have a new lease written it won't be too much work so may just cost a few hundred pounds. It might be worth paying that and having a salon you love rather than lose out on it for the sake of a bit of money going towards the landlords legal fees.

By no means am I taking sides with the landlord, I think they can have you over a barrell half of the time but I am trying to come up with a suggestion that will have you in their and be happy x

It is normal to pay the landlords legal fees on a commercial lease. It is also normal for them to insist on deposits plus bank and commercial references. Sorry x

Persianista is correct, I had the same sort of nightmare. In the end I had a Law Society agreement which was a lot cheaper and a better option in my case.

Hope you get it sorted and manage to keep calm I know how stressful a time it can be and im sure lots off geeks sympathise with you :hug:

What is a law society agreement?
My solicitor disagreed with the amount they are asking for and said it was unusual to ask for so much..

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

It seems they are trying to protect their income, the previous owner left with the lease remaining and they have no income from it. The first offer was ridiculous, the sub lease seemed a bit more like it but the only thing you didn't like was paying their fees, if the salon is perfect for you and you had offered to pay a year of rent in advance or a smaller deposit why not ask how much their fees will be and say you will pay but put a cap on it.

If they just need to have a new lease written it won't be too much work so may just cost a few hundred pounds. It might be worth paying that and having a salon you love rather than lose out on it for the sake of a bit of money going towards the landlords legal fees.

By no means am I taking sides with the landlord, I think they can have you over a barrell half of the time but I am trying to come up with a suggestion that will have you in their and be happy x

You have made me see it from
A different side no one had explained what their fees were I assumed they were similar to my own I did not think of a lease rewrite thanks for that info however the cost was estimated to me at £1500 not a couple of hundred unfortunately! X

Sometimes we just have to let go but not necessarily see it at the time. There is another dream salon for you somewhere. Weigh up the pros and cons. Plenty of landlords are desperate to find tenants and maybe more flexible.

I had my heart set on a new unit near a hospital but the lease was crippling along with me having to fit windows and doors and completly rebuild inside. I decided to pull out. Another salon, a chain then put up posters saying they had leased it. My heart sank and I cried buckets. This chain of salons then pulled out and the unit is still empty after 4 years. I found a freehold that needed much work but it was more cost effective in the long run. So don't lose heart, keep looking, it is out there somewhere. Sometimes we just hate to let go. Big hugs

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

What is a law society agreement?
My solicitor disagreed with the amount they are asking for and said it was unusual to ask for so much..

It is a tennancy agreement and i think a lot more flexible would do some asking around, and yes i was asked for over £1000 just for my half of the fees :(

It is a tennancy agreement and i think a lot more flexible would do some asking around, and yes i was asked for over £1000 just for my half of the fees :(

looked it up and it says only england and wales.. im in scotland :cry:

:hug:
Sometimes we just have to let go but not necessarily see it at the time. There is another dream salon for you somewhere. Weigh up the pros and cons. Plenty of landlords are desperate to find tenants and maybe more flexible.

I had my heart set on a new unit near a hospital but the lease was crippling along with me having to fit windows and doors and completely rebuild inside. I decided to pull out. Another salon, a chain then put up posters saying they had leased it. My heart sank and I cried buckets. This chain of salons then pulled out and the unit is still empty after 4 years. I found a freehold that needed much work but it was more cost effective in the long run. So don't lose heart, keep looking, it is out there somewhere. Sometimes we just hate to let go. Big hugs

I'm a ridiculously stubborn so and so and i will fight fight fight for this until either the landlord or my solicitor out right tells me its not happening for def lol !! i take it you got a shop in the end? thank you though

Hi there

If there current lease needs to be assigned to you, I am assuming that the Landlord is still taking a monthly rent from the current tenent (even though they have vacated the premises), hence the Landlord's reluctance to assign to a new person (who could potentially go bankrupt and not pay a penny back to them from that moment on)?

Do look at the lease and see if it is 'Full Repairing Lease' as this may be what the whole 'huge deposit' angle is really about. If you are looking at a full repairing lease, you (having been assigned the lease) will be totally responsible for putting the salon back to how it was whenever the lease was originally written (whoever it was originally written for). Potentially a very very expensive moment!!

I know this first hand as I am nearing the end of my lease (I was assigned the last 6 years) of a 25 year lease - OMG, the Schedule of Dilapidations that I have been sent by my Landlord's surveyors has had me awake for weeks!!!!!

Taking down a first floor (it was there when I moved in!!!) but not an original feature, incorporating removing the two toilets that are on that first floor to downstairs, cleaning water staining from a leaky overflow pipe, installing a new gas meter!!??? I've never had gas installed, but you guessed it... it is in the lease and appears to be legit (my solicitor is looking through it now to see what my options are).

PLEASE please be careful - I would hate this to happen to someone else.:hug:

xxxxx

if the place wasn't so perfect location and size -wise I'd walk away but i just dont know what else to do.

There may be something else round the corner more perfect for you! Maybe this struggle is a sign?

I'm a ridiculously stubborn so and so and i will fight fight fight for this until either the landlord or my solicitor out right tells me its not happening for def lol !! i take it you got a shop in the end? thank you though

Sometimes you have to learn when the fight isn't worth it.

I've had my salon around 18months and it still surprises me the things that I am liable for! Your problem with paying the landlords fees seems normal- I know I had to. I am responsible for all maintenance on the shop aswell. I'm sure it'll pull together. I think location is main key. Once you've got that sorted, things will slot into place. You'll be fine! :)

Its now come out that they are delaying it further because they have just realised i intend to carry on using it as a beauty salon which was its use but they were actually wanting someone to take it on as something different because the tenant has opened a spa not that far away.
a spa and nail bar are 2 different things, i told the landlord from the very start my intention!!! i know the old tenant anyway i used to do her nails my blummin self, she has a lot of money and no beauty experiance she just opens salons and hires people to do the work. im even more upset now hoooooooo hum maybe i do need to give up :cry:

im even more upset now hoooooooo hum maybe i do need to give up :cry:

Aww hugs. Not "give up", just transfer your energy to either a different approach or something more worthwhile. I am so surprised you are not having your hand bitten off to be the next tenant paying rent.

Take a step back and give yourself 24 hours off. Maybe a different approach to the landlords might get them onside. If you don't look keen maybe they would be more helpful. Or maybe it is better to call it a day with that particular shop.

Hugs and strength.

I read this yesterday and thought run.........my train of though was if you see the landlord as being difficult now, it would be no fun having a strained relationship in the future if you did take the lease. I do understand their reluctance also as the previous business hadn't worked out and the new one, in their eyes, is the same.

Before I built out our spa, I had my heart set on an existing business that the owner was desperate to get rid of as she was stretched too thin. It was a huge place (2 units knocked into 1), clients already on the books and would only have needed cosmetic work and a few new pieces here and there for my taste/standard. She had a closed for renovation sign up but the landlord had told her she had to be reopen within two months.

To cut what could be a long story shortish,we viewed the place and had meetings 4 times to discuss everything, have an inventory drawn up, discuss timescales etc. etc. so it was obvious to us at least that we were extremely serious about buying it.

However, after 3 months of them messing us around which culminated in her refusing to give the books to my accountant unless we put in the offer which I was 100% going to do after we saw the books to ensure they matched up with what she had supplied thus far financially - a spreadsheet, albeit a very healthy one. I just told them that was it, if they weren't happy with us carrying out due diligence then the sale couldn't happen. I was a bit upset but something told me then that it wasn't for me.

So 4 months later I found a new build, literally minutes from our house and I ended up paying three times the amount the owner of the existing business had wanted and built out a brand new unit from concrete floors and walls up to what I know see as "my" spa with everything planned and designed by me right down to the colour of the hard wear on the door hinges.

I am truly glad now that the other place I had my heart set on didn't work out and I see she is still running it with ads in the local media every week looking for room rental or therapists, techs etc.. She couldn't really just walk away as she has a successful salon in the next town which does well but I often wonder if she regrets her actions especially when we were cash buyers too, I just see it as her loss in these economic difficult times.

So for me it comes back to fate and what was meant to be. Good luck with it all Cheryl whatever happens.

Last edited:
So for me it comes back to fate and what was meant to be.

This is how we felt with the unit we had close to a hospital. It was so ideal, in every aspect, apart from the huge amount of money it would have taken for us to re-build everything. I drank, ate and slept (well not much sleep actually) that unit. Tied myself up in knots over it. First solicitor was a nightmare and charged way over the odds to look at the lease. We sacked him and got another one. After paying out for the second time, it suddenly dawned on me that I was more scared of someone else owning it than me. I had to look at the hard facts. I was so eaten up with wanting the unit that I wasn't thinking straight. I think I knew then that is was time to put it behind me. It broke my heart to say goodbye to what I conceived to be my future. I was so hacked off when I saw the new salons posters go up but this never happend. The salon we own now is just as lovely as that unit would have been, not in such a good area but there are lots of chimney pots around here and slowly we are building it up. So I would say take your time, DO NOT be rushed into anything. Maybe call their bluff and they may even come back to you with a better deal.

Hope this helps

What is for you, won't go passed you....

Latest posts

Back