Feeling a little deflated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz Ashton

Reaction score
Hi all - Im feeling a little deflated and just wanted some advice/words of encouragement I suppose - or to just know Im not the only one this has happened to??
I opened a beauty room where I live and also work in a hairdressers in another town 2 days a week. Ive spent a small fortune on getting my room ready and also getting equipment for the other place - also got some leaflets printed and done a massive leaflet drop in both areas. I had my beauty room for over 6 months and been in the other place about the same time and have been so quiet - the last 2 months or so Ive literally had like 1 customer all day! Ive decided that maybe Ive taken on too much and given notice at my beauty room but dont know if its worth staying at the other place? I know I have to be there for people to get to know me but how long should I give it? Im getting frustrated with sitting there for 2 days a week doing nothing when I could be doing mobile clients....and it seems everytime I do go to see a mobile client or do a leaflet drop I get a call saying 'oh theres someone here who wants a pedicure'. I really do feel like giving up!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I don't think you should give up your room. It takes a lot longer than 6 months to build up a client base! Stick it out for the next 6 months and if its still exactly the same decide what you want to do. It'll be ok :) x

Thank you will stop feeling so sorry for myself and get on with it lol
Ive done so much advertising - during the summer I offered packages and sent some of the local schools and groups a voucher as a prize for their summer fetes etc.......but not one person has redeemed their voucher! A friend of mine is an Avon rep - I gave her about 100 leaflets with a discount code on for Avon customers - again not had 1 phone call....also gave out leaflets outside the primary school next to my room and not had anyone come in......maybe its just me lol!!!

Your not alone hun, I've been going 4-5 months and I'm just covering my room rent...someone told me it will take aapprox 2 years to get the business up and running but I don't think I can stick it out that long if I'm honest...spent so much on it too :( sorry I'm not being a help but just wanted you to know you are not alone in being quiet. I've been in the industry fr 20 years and I've never known it so quiet to be honest!

Hi,
If you enjoy your job and feel that you are good at it then don't give up on it just yet.
How about giving up the beauty room and going mobile instead, and if money is tight then how about another job a few days a week so u have regular money coming in.

Iv been mobile for about six months ago, about 2 months ago I felt how u did, I was obsessed with trying to advertise my business and seeing no customers even though i did leaflets drops, offers, Facebook etc.
I decided just to take a step back not stress and let the business come to me and slowly it has. Again iv heard it takes two years to get a good client base and now I can see why. Most of my business has been word of month despite advertising, very frustrating as iv spent lots of money on leaflets etc.
However there is money to be made and clients out there, proof from my friend who's being doing it for 8 years now and take approx £100 a day, so it just takes time, don't give up keep working hard at it and eventually things will pick up x frankie

I had a break from hairdressing to have children. I have now been back for a year, and like you have posted loads of leaflets and only got 2 clients from it. I find the best way is to reward your existing clients to recommend you. I have doubled my turn over in a year but still no where near as busy as I want to be. I hope the 2 year thing is true. X

it takes roughly 2years before a business is truly breaking even and making money so if you have taken on 2 at the same time then yes maybe its too much!!! i would say give 100% to one before you move onto another...nothing happens overnight and you have to be patient so i can only imagine how you are feeling right now (unless you have plenty of money behind you??)

concentrate on one and get your name established out there and a little money behind you and then open a 2nd not straight away but once you have accounts that are consecutive for say 6 months or more and you are taking a wage (obviously for the first 6 months/a year youwouldnt be taking a wage) but am sure you already researched this thoroughly and you know this (dont want to tell you what you already know)

You haven't said where your beauty room is, what type of premises?

Is it at a hairdressers or gym, where you could offer a sample service to customers. Eg one nail, or hand massage, whatever they would like. Also if you're only there three days a week then it is more difficult to build a clientele. As you've already said, when u are mobile, you get a call to say there is a customer!! It is important to try to be there as much as possible and to decide if u are mobile or working from a base...
If someone gets a leaflet and you are never there its not a good promotion of a professional business.
In my first year with a small salon, I made back all the money spent on starting it up and a bit more, making it worthwhile.... But that included being there if no one was booked. we also offered local shop assistants visible treatments like nail enhancements at cost price initially to advertise my wares... People saw them and wanted what we could do. You have to make people realise that they want what you have to offer!!

thank you all for your messages.....Iam feeling abit more positive about things now and not meaning to be horrible to anyone but Iam glad Im not the only one having this problem!!
Will have a re-think about what needs to give and start with a much more positive attitude

Your not alone hun, I've been going 4-5 months and I'm just covering my room rent...someone told me it will take aapprox 2 years to get the business up and running but I don't think I can stick it out that long if I'm honest...spent so much on it too :( sorry I'm not being a help but just wanted you to know you are not alone in being quiet. I've been in the industry fr 20 years and I've never known it so quiet to be honest!
It's very quite at the moment. I too have been in the industry 25 years and having set up my mobile business after having a family (2 1/2 years out of it) am finding it fustrating.
I know I'm not the cheapest in my area but I believe if you are good then don't cheapen the service.
So lets all keep our chins up and don't undersell ourselves. Be the best we can be!:)

I wrote a reply but I'm confused... do you work in both places? do you do the same thing in both?

You MUST commit to something and nothing takes less than 2years.
There is a wealth of advice but it all boils down to the same thing - You gotta NETWORK

Hope this helps

Yes I work in both places and do the same in both - the beauty room 3 days a week and the hair salon 3 days a week. Looking back, yes I def need to commit to one place only and concentrate on that....I had the thought that until Im up and established in my beauty room then I could work elsewhere that was already established to get some money coming in and a client base. Think I need to go back to basics and decide what I want to concentrate on
Thank you all for your advice - really appreciate it x

I have found in this industry that women trust other women. Get out there and find a hairdresser to wear your lashes for example. Once people see your work on someone they trust, they are more likely to call you up. Networking is the best way to build your business. I used to call friends and offer to do lashes for free for them. I figured that I would rather be working for free and keeping up my skill than not at all. If you have someone come for a pedicure, offer them a free set of lashes. This gets them possibly interested in a new service. If you do good work, people will see that, and want to come to you. Don't give up. It takes time to get your name out there. Join a womens network group and do lunch with them once a month if that is an option. Keep at it, and it will pay off. Get some brochures out to wedding photographers, and maybe offer bridal deals. There are many ways to drum up business. :hug:

Latest posts

Back