Feeling blue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndseyD

Reaction score
Sorry long post but feeling very disheartened!
Got a call tonight from a regular client. I did her nails (shellac) on Tuesday night and half way through her friend arrived and asked if I could do hers too! Since I was there and set up I said no problem, hoping it would lead to a new regular.

Tonight I've had a call from the lady i fitted in, saying that 2 of her nails are lifting! I know there's been loads of posts on here and I've now read them all! I've checked my lamp and my bulbs, she says she's not on any medication (except very low dose antidepressants) hasn't used any cleaning products or bashed her nails and her natural nails appeared strong and healthy & not too long.
I did a dry prep- all the usual steps of PEP. Scrubfreshed for at least 5secs including free edge and applied base, colour x 2 and top, sealing free edge as normal. Thin to win! I've been applying shellac for over a year now and I've never had a client with lifting.
Feeling really rubbish about it all cause it really knocks your confidence! Worrying about my next client now!
She had rebooked for 2weeks and as she doesn't have time to let me see her nails before then I've told her I'll do her next set free. I didn't know what else to say, I could cry! :(
Is there any other reason this may have happened? :'( xx

I wouldn't have said ud do it free, I'd of offered a discount!

She may have very oily nails which no enhancement will suit!
Hope I get it sorted, don't let it get to u xx

I think you've been over generous offering her next set for free, but I can understand why, when you're put on the spot sometimes you panic, and you're looking at the bigger picture and considering your reputation and trying to retain a long term client.

If she cant get to the salon to show you the problem I wouldnt offer her anything. If she can get into you I would remove and replace the lifting ones only, but certainly wouldnt offer a complete new set for free. The thing is, if you've been doing shellac a while and dont have any problems you know your application and products are fine, if everyone's were lifting that would be a different story. Have you considered using cuticle away for your prep? Perhaps this particular client has more cuticle tissue than your average client, and you cant always see it all in a dry prep so I would try that. You've offered the free set now so you wont be able to change your mind but in future I think you should have more confidence in your skills :hug:

Thanks girls.
I know I shouldn't have offered a free set, the more I think about it now I feel that by doing that, it's like I'm admitting I've done something wrong and I'm pretty sure I haven't! I was really upset when she phoned though, and like you said 'chelle, I'm desperate to try and keep everyone happy and not damage my reputation. I live in a small town and work part time from home salon and mobile so my reputation is all I have!
I have literally never had a complaint or issue before and I must admit, my bottom lip was well and truly sticking out by the time I came off the phone! I will try cuticle away when I do her next set and see how that works. I did tell her that if the next set lifts then I can only assume there is an issue with her nails in some way and that shellac is not the product for her and wouldn't recommend getting it done again. Do you think I was ok to say that? Thanks for replying xx

Just see how your next set goes for now, and explain this hasn't happened before, xxx

You need to tell clients not to use nails as tools. ie picking or scratching at things like something stuck to work surfaces in kitchen etc and use scrubbing sponges etc carefully and with gloves on. They just assume that as the gels are sold as none scratching none chipping etc they can do what they like with them. They still have to take some care with them. After all they'd are still nails not meant to be used as tools. You need to remind them each visit until it sinks in. HTH :)

First take a deep breath and let it out slowly. I used to be so sensitive to criticism from clients because at college nobody complains but out in the industry everyone is a critic. They want it done perfectly and they want it done fast. The thing is, you haven't killed their first-born son or drowned their kitten, their nails lifted a bit.

Please do not let this undermine your confidence or define who you think you are as a therapist. There could be a million reasons why the nails lifted and a lot of them are down to what the client does with their nails and not how you prepare them or apply your products. Make sure you follow the steps to the letter and give your client as much after-care and home-care as possible to ensure that all bases are covered. :Love:

Sorry to hear about your Shellac. I have on very rare occasions had a client who has had a nail that has just lifted completely. The nails have all been treated the same. I just think it's one of those things. I suggest it may be a super oily nail - the only thing I can think. If it happens very early on - within a few days, I replace that one free of charge. I'm like you tho' - I would rather do a new set for free and hopefully keep a new client. Sometimes these things just happen!!!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I've spent the last week doubting myself and had to stop myself from contacting every client to check if their nails are ok! Needless to say, I haven't had anyone else with lifting issues. So, thanks to all the lovely support on here, I'm holding my head high, putting it down to experience and moving on! :) xxxx

I hadn't tried shellac but used to be on anti depressants and both bio sculpture and l&p used to lift within days for me. Might not be down to that but I would suggest you don't rule it out entirely.
Hope you manage to find a solution.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back